By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was 1998 the best year of gaming the world has seen?

SickleSigh said:
thetonestarr said:
Sharky54 said:
2009 is clearly the best year as far as FPS gaming goes. But 1998 was the golden year for everything gaming related.

No, 1997 was the year for the console FPS.

Goldeneye was first FPS for a console I got into. Only used to play PC fps before, I miss Doom and Duke Nukem.

It was the first console FPS that millions of players got into. It's the game that proved that the console FPS is a working and thoroughly enjoyable idea.

And I find it absolutely hilarious that the four-player splitscreen mode was added in late in development as an "afterthought". Man that's crazy.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

wich year legend of the dragoon came out?. anyway that year was the best year for gaming.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Sharky54 said:

Final Fantasy Tactics and Starcraft came out in the same year. To me, this was the golden year of gaming. What was a golden year of gaming for you?

The golden age of gaming was SNES vs SEGA bar none.

You mean the genesis. Sega had a system before the genesis. Sega Master System FTW.

personally, I'd say that 1997 was because of Goldeneye. at the time there was nothing better IMO

but being objective I'd say 1998 can be the best one, although if we could pull Civilization II from 1996 and SimCity 3000 from 1999 and said both came out in 1998, it becomes better ;)

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

2007 gets my vote

Around the Network

good times when i was 7

Surprised no one has said WoW year yet. That game made me neglect all consoles for a lonnnnng time. WoW players are probably too busy raiding atm to post though since its around 5 pacific. =P

chrono cross was also released in '98

2007 Wii's homerun year and all those Smash updates.

don't know if the best... but a great one indeed