By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The VERDICT Is REACHED -- IGN Proclaims Miyamoto As the BEST Games Dev!!

I'm actually a little surprised (though very happy) that they chose Miyamoto. It seems like in the Wii era, a lot of people have dismissed Miyamoto as being an irrelevant relic, out of touch with today's world.

It's nice to see that his work is still valued by the industry. Everyone may not like everything he makes, but he definitely tries to experiment, and I always have a soft spot in my heart for experimentation.

Around the Network
Frozenfuryblade said:
Millennium said:
Now that I think about it, though, Gunpei Yokoi -The man behind "lateral thinking of withered technology," which has now saved gaming not once but twice- should have had either first or second.

Not to mention that he singlehandedly invented portable gaming.

Gunpei Yokoi did not invent portable gaming as the game-and-watch had been around years before the gameboy.

Totally expected. It would have been a lie if it was somebody else. Miyamoto is simply the greatest out there. Thank u miyamoto 4 all it games.

CAL4M1TY said:
I think it's bigger news that they were able to list 100 to begin with... no seriously, I can only think of 10 people that deserve a mention.

It's not quite hard actually. In 30 years or so, what are the most iconic games? The most relevant? Think about story, gameplay, music, etc... and then find out who composed or created these games or aspects.

You might find out that two totally unrelated games you like where actually made by the same guy.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

I think Will Wright and Sid Meier belong lower on the list, with Gunpei Yokoi being at least third. Mr. Yokoi is the entire reason we even have a handheld market today. Every... single... game that exists as a handheld... has been influenced by his development and engineering prowess.

Granted, that's more of a hardware development thing and not quite as much software, but the article only implies that. It's still videogame development.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

I just found it interesting that they put Twilight Princess in his notable games. Even "A link to the past" would be better put in my opinion.

I'm not sure, but wasn't he also the guy that wanted Metroid to go into first person?

Some guy quotes this from the book SmartBomb.
The quote is here: http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/07/miyamoto-a-martinet-making-metroid-prime/
"Miyamoto sincerely disliked Metroid Prime's original camera system. He ordered the game changed from third-person to first-person, which destroyed the schedule. He commanded Retro to implement several types of visors Samus Aran could use in the game, such as a scanner to bring up gameplay hints or interesting history about targets. And his changes didn't stop with Metroid."

ZZetaAlec said:
Frozenfuryblade said:
Millennium said:
Now that I think about it, though, Gunpei Yokoi -The man behind "lateral thinking of withered technology," which has now saved gaming not once but twice- should have had either first or second.

Gunpei Yokoi did not invent portable gaming as the game-and-watch had been around years before the gameboy.

Who do you think invented Game & Watch?

ZZetaAlec said:
Frozenfuryblade said:
Millennium said:

Actually, he invented the game-and-watch too.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Rhonin the wizard said:
ZZetaAlec said:
Frozenfuryblade said:
Millennium said:

Who do you think invented Game & Watch?

I stand thoroughly corrected.

@ zzeta, at least you had the balls to admit you were wrong :P.

Anyways, I definitely think Miyamoto deserves it. I'd normally respond to Tremble's fanboy comments, but it appears many other people have already appeared to put him in his place plus he's banned.

@ bouzane, you are allowed an opinion, and we are allowed an opinion about your opinion.