By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The First sub $200 HD Player

leo-j said:
HD DVD will never take down blu-ray because blu-rey will keep selling. There's a reason why the ps3 brings a blu-ray movie.

I personally believe… that… U.S. Americans are unable to do so… because… uh…some … people out there in our nation don’t have Blu-ray and…. uh, I believe that our, ah, education like such as… in South Africa, and, uh, the Iraq, like everywhere like…such as… and I believe that they should, uh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., or should help South Africa, it should help the Iraq and the Asian countries… so we will be able to build up our future…for our children.

Around the Network

Fishy practicing for Mr. VGChartz 2007?

I don't think that either format is really going to take off for years. My observation has been that most people aren't that interested in HD for HD's sake and HD-DVD and Blu-ray don't have any substantive new features aside from HD.

DVD adoption was quick because it offered new features like scene selection, commentary, and simply not needing to be rewound and because there was a flood of old movies and TV shows released for it.

For HD-DVD and Blu-ray, the problem is that the flood of old movies and TV shows bit isn't going to work twice in a row because most of the old content won't benefit from HD and people are reluctant to buy something again when they already bought it 5 years ago. HD-DVD and Blu-ray can only be sold by new content, and there really isn't enough compelling new HD content to win over consumers.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck
FishyJoe said:
leo-j said:
HD DVD will never take down blu-ray because blu-rey will keep selling. There's a reason why the ps3 brings a blu-ray movie.

I personally believe… that… U.S. Americans are unable to do so… because… uh…some … people out there in our nation don’t have Blu-ray and…. uh, I believe that our, ah, education like such as… in South Africa, and, uh, the Iraq, like everywhere like…such as… and I believe that they should, uh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., or should help South Africa, it should help the Iraq and the Asian countries… so we will be able to build up our future…for our children.

Amazing. What I meant to make it mean something, is as long as there is a ps3. There are blu-ray movies being sold, basicly hd dvd is having a huge dis-advantage. This is why I say what I stated above.

mM
leo-j said:
FishyJoe said:
leo-j said:

Amazing. What I meant to make it mean something, is as long as there is a ps3. There are blu-ray movies being sold, basicly hd dvd is having a huge dis-advantage. This is why I say what I stated above.

Leo, go to Youtube and do a search for Miss South Carolina, and you'll get his joke.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
FishyJoe said:
leo-j said:

Amazing. What I meant to make it mean something, is as long as there is a ps3. There are blu-ray movies being sold, basicly hd dvd is having a huge dis-advantage. This is why I say what I stated above.

RIGHT ON MAN!!! 

Since the PSP is still around, look at all the umd movies I can get. Oh wait....

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

HappySqurriel said:
KBG29 said:
Yes I am pumped for this. Great to see that a cheap peice of crap could ruin the Movie industries chance at having a great format. This is the best news ever.

Except for a tiny ammount of extra storage space, how is Blu-Ray any better as a format?

It has the same crappy size, same codecs, same crappy packaging, and same crappy DRM ...

My favorite thing about Blu-ray: unscratchable discs. I'm pretty sure HD DVDs don't have that feature.  

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

your mother said:
Entroper said:
A $199 price point puts it easily in the range of a Christmas present. Good news for HD.

...while keeping in mind there's still four months before the holiday season, so there is no reason why the HD DVD entry price point cannot be lowered even more, perhaps with the introduction of other budget HD DVD players by Chinese manufacturers.

It might be lowered a bit more, but the holiday season is not 4 months away.  4 months from today is December 29.  That's TOO LATE for Christmas, as it's already passed.  The holiday season "officially" begins the day after Thanksgiving (Black Friday) and unofficially begins a few weeks sooner, so it's really more like 2 months away.  I wouldn't be surprised, though, to see HD DVD players for $99 on Black Friday as doorbusters, but in very limited quantities.

twesterm said:
Since we're talking about cheap HD DVD players...

360 HD DVD addon plus 9 free HD DVD's for $179.00

There you have your price drop. If these things get any cheaper I may have to pick up a few. I mean they still play DVD's.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Entroper said:
your mother said:
Entroper said:
A $199 price point puts it easily in the range of a Christmas present. Good news for HD.

...while keeping in mind there's still four months before the holiday season, so there is no reason why the HD DVD entry price point cannot be lowered even more, perhaps with the introduction of other budget HD DVD players by Chinese manufacturers.

It might be lowered a bit more, but the holiday season is not 4 months away. 4 months from today is December 29. That's TOO LATE for Christmas, as it's already passed. The holiday season "officially" begins the day after Thanksgiving (Black Friday) and unofficially begins a few weeks sooner, so it's really more like 2 months away. I wouldn't be surprised, though, to see HD DVD players for $99 on Black Friday as doorbusters, but in very limited quantities.

...yeah, that.

But even in two months' time it is entirely plausible.

I live right next door to China, so these players should be on the market right now, and I bet there are more than one model for that price range here in Hong Kong already.