By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The First sub $200 HD Player

Killzone3 said:
no 1080p

What a joke, whats the point of it ?

Pay 2/3k for a giant tv then get some cheap ass player, makes no sense.

For all intents and purposes, there is no difference between 1080i and 1080p when watching movies, so it makes little, if any, difference whether you have a 1080i or 1080p.

Do note, Killzone3, that I am talking about watching movies, not playing games, which is exactly and only what an HD-DVD player does, so having 1080p output is hardly essential, especially when you will get the same experience watching movies in 1080i.

Around the Network
shams said:

I think its time to face the facts - both formats are here to stay.

I actually have my money on HD-DVD (slightly) dominating in the long term.

IMO, this highlights Sony's strategy (including a BluRay drive in the PS3) as even more wrong. I don't see any compelling argument that its necessary for games. It delayed the launch of the device by 6 months. It pushes the price up, making PS3s less affordable.

You'll see cheap hybrid players out within 12 months. This means that most companies will gravitate towards the cheaper manufacturing process - which is HD-DVD.

I also think that HD-DVD owners will end up with a higher attach rate than BluRay owners - and the PS3 is only going to this equation a lot worse. Include PS3 owners - and the attach rate is worse. Exclude them - and there aren't enough drives on the market to warrant a release.

If I could get a HD-DVD player PLUS transformers for $199(AU) - I would be sold. My TV still looks great, and does 1080i - which is all I care about.

I know your always anti sony but come back to reality.  A Hybrid palyer costs $800, they sure as hell wont be "affordable" with in 12 months.  Where will they get this huge cost cutting from ?

Face the fact, what your opinion is a fact now.

^ Do you have a reply to anything else? One wrong thinking makes him delusional? Everything else he said is either fact or educated prediction.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

twesterm said:
Since we're talking about cheap HD DVD players...

360 HD DVD addon plus 9 free HD DVD's for $179.00

That's pretty cool.......EXCEPT you'll AT LEAST need a $279.99 Xbox360 to actually use it!

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

FishyJoe said:
leo-j said:
HD DVD will never take down blu-ray because blu-rey will keep selling. There's a reason why the ps3 brings a blu-ray movie.

I personally believe… that… U.S. Americans are unable to do so… because… uh…some … people out there in our nation don’t have Blu-ray and…. uh, I believe that our, ah, education like such as… in South Africa, and, uh, the Iraq, like everywhere like…such as… and I believe that they should, uh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., or should help South Africa, it should help the Iraq and the Asian countries… so we will be able to build up our future…for our children.

LOL, that's the funniest thing I seen all day!!!

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

Around the Network
Killzone3 said:
rocketpig said:
Killzone3 said:
no 1080p

What a joke, whats the point of it ?

Pay 2/3k for a giant tv then get some cheap ass player, makes no sense.

Way to carry the torch for those one percenters who rock 1080p HDTVs, Killzone. Martin Luther King would be proud of your devotion to their cause.

Every tv hitting stores now 1080p now, its the new standart.

You really have no clue what you're talking about. For starters, just look at any Pioneer 8G plasma under 50in. 

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

dtewi said:
^ Do you have a reply to anything else? One wrong thinking makes him delusional? Everything else he said is either fact or educated prediction.

Fact is hddvds best market is 29% share in USa.

Be it PS3 or stand alone or a pc drive, FACT is BR is selling alot more disks then hddvd.

Educated prediction it really is not, more like anti sony one.

We live in a nation where most people never learned how to program the clocks on their VCR's after 20+ years. And now you expect them to know the difference between 1080i and 1080p???

FishyJoe said:
We live in a nation where most people never learned how to program the clocks on their VCR's after 20+ years. And now you expect them to know the difference between 1080i and 1080p???

No but i do expect the sales guy to do his job.

i forget how the world is sometimes, damn you vcr clock.

Killzone3 said:

No but i do expect the sales guy to do his job

Like telling cutomers how every new HD set is 1080p?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"