By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The First sub $200 HD Player

no 1080p

What a joke, whats the point of it ?

Pay 2/3k for a giant tv then get some cheap ass player, makes no sense.

Around the Network
Killzone3 said:
no 1080p

Yeah, what a joke. 1080i almost looks the same as 1080p and most people dont spend anywhere near 2/3k on a tv. 

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

FishyJoe said:
Wal-mart could sell 5 million players in a single holiday season, probably more.

LOL, that is probably true and that is only Walmart!  What if places like Best buy and circuit city had some of these to sell.  

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

sieanr said:
Killzone3 said:
no 1080p

Yeah, what a joke. 1080i almost looks the same as 1080p and most people dont spend anywhere near 2/3k on a tv.

I doubt those that dont will care much about HD, the probably buy the tv casue its small.

I still don't need or want one, though the free movie offers have made them a bit more tempting.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Around the Network

Yeah, what's the point of having better picture for a better price?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Killzone3 said:
no 1080p

Way to carry the torch for those one percenters who rock 1080p HDTVs, Killzone. Martin Luther King would be proud of your devotion to their cause.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I think its time to face the facts - both formats are here to stay.

I actually have my money on HD-DVD (slightly) dominating in the long term.

IMO, this highlights Sony's strategy (including a BluRay drive in the PS3) as even more wrong. I don't see any compelling argument that its necessary for games. It delayed the launch of the device by 6 months. It pushes the price up, making PS3s less affordable.

You'll see cheap hybrid players out within 12 months. This means that most companies will gravitate towards the cheaper manufacturing process - which is HD-DVD.

I also think that HD-DVD owners will end up with a higher attach rate than BluRay owners - and the PS3 is only going to this equation a lot worse. Include PS3 owners - and the attach rate is worse. Exclude them - and there aren't enough drives on the market to warrant a release.

If I could get a HD-DVD player PLUS transformers for $199(AU) - I would be sold. My TV still looks great, and does 1080i - which is all I care about.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

rocketpig said:
Killzone3 said:
no 1080p

Way to carry the torch for those one percenters who rock 1080p HDTVs, Killzone. Martin Luther King would be proud of your devotion to their cause.

Every tv hitting stores now 1080p now, its the new standart.

Every single TV that is selling now is only 1080p?

I call Shenanigans.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you