By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What is with the positive reactions to KZ2 sales????

gergroy said:
Rpruett said:
Xbox is Halo. Nintendo is Mario.

Sales are not some meaningful way to evaluate quality or caliber of a game. Sales reflect the consoles current (Price, Market position, Game library, User Base available, User bases game preference, As well Marketing of the game in general). Speaking of, I did not see ONE commercial on American TV before Kill Zone 2. Conversely, I saw billboards, Master Chief on Coke products, Mountain Dew products, etc.

Xbox 360 is a shooter console. Shooters sell on it better than PS3. It's a fact of the industry. Then again, Platformers, Action games, Fighting games and a whole host of other games. Generally sell better on the PS3 when you factor in the amount of people that own the system.

No one in their right mind would have suggested that Kill Zone 2 would surpass one of (If not the largest) openings in Video game history of Halo 3.

Sales do not reflect 'killing' of a game. If Kill Zone 2 is viewed positively among game players. It will garner further hype and further sales (And have excellent legs from people on the fence about it).

Kill Zone 3 then could become an established franchise with it's own fanatical following.

Halo 1 didn't sell that amazing initially. It garnered more attention and more attention. By Halo 2 it exploded with sales (Initiallly) and eventually many people owned Halo 1.

That is a made up fact and I call bull crap on it:)  Truth be told, multiplatform sells generally get divided pretty equal to marketshare. (i.e. 60% on 360, 40% on ps3).  That goes for almost every game out there.  You say figting games, so if we look at soul caliber 4 which has been out for a while now, the ps3 has sold about 45% to 360's 55%.  When combine the consoles sale numbers, ps3 would have 42% and 360 would have 58%, so you can see the game divide's pretty darn evenly.  While, if you were to look at assassins creed, which is a stealth/action/platformer, the ps3 has 42% and the 360 has 58%, which goes along very well with the system numbers.  If you actually look at the games you would see that is pretty much how it GENERALLY is, with a few exceptions like devil may cry which is a former ps exclusive and therefore most of it's fans are ps owners.  When people say the 360 is a shooter console, I tend to think it an ignorant statement, because to be fair, it only has like 3 shooters that the playstation doesn't, that being halo and the 2 gears.  I would say it is an RPG console more than a shooter, because it certainly has a heck of a lot more rpg's than the ps3 has.  However, like I said, multiplatform games are pretty evenly divided in sales, there isn't one core demographic that owns a system and only plays a certain type of game.

and the ps3 also has shooters the xbox doesnt namely kz2 and the 2 resistances so i also dont get how the 360 is a shooter console but whatever

Around the Network
kutasek said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
psrock said:
I have never seen a game get on people's nerve so much.

I have. It's called Carnival Games.

I think wii music, it much more nerve wracking.

my vote goes for "Mario and Sonic", although why this thread is still going is quite surprising.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

You people take this shit way too seriously.

Ding ding ding.  We have a winner.

Got no problem with killzone 2.  Good for PS3 owners, but for honestly did you guys have to make nearly every third thread posted about the game and NOT expect backlash from hyping it? 

The-Prophet said:

The game was hyped to be a "Halo killer", just like PS fanboys hyped KZ 1 to be one. Whats with the sales praise????

Halo 3 has a 3.8 MILLION opening week across all 3 regions. KZ2 is above 700k with Japan likely not gonna add much, maybe 30-50k opening week?

I mean, those are great sales yes, but did everybody forget what game this was supposed to beat???? I also want to add that KZ2 was bundled in Europe and Halo 3 wasnt.

Well, Halo 3 is the third in the franchise, so it has the upper hand there. And just because it didnt sell as well in the first week does not mean it doesnt blow Halo out of the water. There is more to a game than just sales, I mean theres 40 million Wii sports out there, does that mean its better than Halo?

Plus alot of people thought Killzone 2 might be like Resistance 2 or Motorstorm 2, great game, less than spectacular sales. All in all for only a few days sales its done pretty damn well. I'm sorry it didnt sell 3.8 million, but that doesnt make the game weaker in any way.

If you expect too much you become disappointed. Halo has a way bigger fanbase then Killzone.

I'm satisfied with the gameplay, and that's what counts.

Around the Network
myths n legends said:
gergroy said:
Rpruett said:
Xbox is Halo. Nintendo is Mario.

Sales are not some meaningful way to evaluate quality or caliber of a game. Sales reflect the consoles current (Price, Market position, Game library, User Base available, User bases game preference, As well Marketing of the game in general). Speaking of, I did not see ONE commercial on American TV before Kill Zone 2. Conversely, I saw billboards, Master Chief on Coke products, Mountain Dew products, etc.

Xbox 360 is a shooter console. Shooters sell on it better than PS3. It's a fact of the industry. Then again, Platformers, Action games, Fighting games and a whole host of other games. Generally sell better on the PS3 when you factor in the amount of people that own the system.

No one in their right mind would have suggested that Kill Zone 2 would surpass one of (If not the largest) openings in Video game history of Halo 3.

Sales do not reflect 'killing' of a game. If Kill Zone 2 is viewed positively among game players. It will garner further hype and further sales (And have excellent legs from people on the fence about it).

Kill Zone 3 then could become an established franchise with it's own fanatical following.

Halo 1 didn't sell that amazing initially. It garnered more attention and more attention. By Halo 2 it exploded with sales (Initiallly) and eventually many people owned Halo 1.

That is a made up fact and I call bull crap on it:)  Truth be told, multiplatform sells generally get divided pretty equal to marketshare. (i.e. 60% on 360, 40% on ps3).  That goes for almost every game out there.  You say figting games, so if we look at soul caliber 4 which has been out for a while now, the ps3 has sold about 45% to 360's 55%.  When combine the consoles sale numbers, ps3 would have 42% and 360 would have 58%, so you can see the game divide's pretty darn evenly.  While, if you were to look at assassins creed, which is a stealth/action/platformer, the ps3 has 42% and the 360 has 58%, which goes along very well with the system numbers.  If you actually look at the games you would see that is pretty much how it GENERALLY is, with a few exceptions like devil may cry which is a former ps exclusive and therefore most of it's fans are ps owners.  When people say the 360 is a shooter console, I tend to think it an ignorant statement, because to be fair, it only has like 3 shooters that the playstation doesn't, that being halo and the 2 gears.  I would say it is an RPG console more than a shooter, because it certainly has a heck of a lot more rpg's than the ps3 has.  However, like I said, multiplatform games are pretty evenly divided in sales, there isn't one core demographic that owns a system and only plays a certain type of game.

and the ps3 also has shooters the xbox doesnt namely kz2 and the 2 resistances so i also dont get how the 360 is a shooter console but whatever

Yep, exactly :)

Please moderators lock this thread.....(someone left the door open at the asylum)

KZ2 came and went, it boosted PS3 to win this week WW sales. Congrats.

It's time to hype PS3's next savior: God of War! Let's see 20 god of war posts per day

This will be my only post on this thread since i don't usually comment on sales threads, but this is getting way out of hand.

I'm here only to say to those who make sales look like an indicator of quality in games to really try to see things in different spectrums, because if you don't, then you'll miss so many great games.

Oh and to those particullary who say that Halo 3 is uber because of it's sales and that almost all other games pale in comparison, i guess you never have seen the sales of super mario bros 3, which topped almost at 18 million. And don't get started on the halo franchise, since it's 24.8 million total it's just a tiny speck of the 175 million sales of the pokemon franchise.
So by your logic, Halo is a failure? (I personally think that each Halo is a great game, my personal favourite being Halo 2)

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

The sales look good enough to me although if it doesn't hit near 4 million by LTD then you could class it a disappointment IMO.