By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What is with the positive reactions to KZ2 sales????

Halo was always seen as the king of console FPS. Now's a different story, but back then there was nothing comparable on other consoles, which is why the original Killzone was hyped as the "Halo killer". It was supposed to be the PS2's Halo.

Maybe people thought the original KZ would outsell Halo, but no one was expecting 4 million first week from this game. Can you give me a link to anyone who was? The craziest prediction I've seen was half of that.

Around the Network

Was that account made just to flame KZ2? Serious Question here. Claiming that PS fanboys hyped Killzone 2 to be a Halo Killer is pure flame bait. I don't remember any PS fanboy claiming to beat Halo 3, not even the worst fanboys on this site.

cant say anything bad about kz2 since i have never played it and doubt i will ever have the urge too however for those saying that somehow kz is now the king of fps based on what they call positive sales i find that quite astonishing.
halo 3 sold 3.8 million on a userbase of under 12 million meanwhile kz2 sold .72 million on a user base of just below 21 million... it had 9 million more potential customers yet it sold over 3 million less

I never heard anyone beyond the usual crazed fanboys saying killzone 2 would be a halo killer.

I wonder how many people who are now trying to downplay KZ2's sales by comparing them to Halo 3's at one point said Killzone would be the next Lair, Haze, etc.

Around the Network

dont speak ill of haze it is currently the only game that would make me buy a ps3... and i almost do everytime i go to gamestop but then i realize no matter how much i love timesplitters haze cannot possibly be worth 550$

Xbox is Halo. Nintendo is Mario.

Sales are not some meaningful way to evaluate quality or caliber of a game. Sales reflect the consoles current (Price, Market position, Game library, User Base available, User bases game preference, As well Marketing of the game in general). Speaking of, I did not see ONE commercial on American TV before Kill Zone 2. Conversely, I saw billboards, Master Chief on Coke products, Mountain Dew products, etc.

Xbox 360 is a shooter console. Shooters sell on it better than PS3. It's a fact of the industry. Then again, Platformers, Action games, Fighting games and a whole host of other games. Generally sell better on the PS3 when you factor in the amount of people that own the system.

No one in their right mind would have suggested that Kill Zone 2 would surpass one of (If not the largest) openings in Video game history of Halo 3.

Sales do not reflect 'killing' of a game. If Kill Zone 2 is viewed positively among game players. It will garner further hype and further sales (And have excellent legs from people on the fence about it).

Kill Zone 3 then could become an established franchise with it's own fanatical following.

Halo 1 didn't sell that amazing initially. It garnered more attention and more attention. By Halo 2 it exploded with sales (Initiallly) and eventually many people owned Halo 1.

Don't bring attach rates into a sales thread. Attachment ratios are meaningless to developers.

Rpruett said:
Xbox is Halo. Nintendo is Mario.

Sales are not some meaningful way to evaluate quality or caliber of a game. Sales reflect the consoles current (Price, Market position, Game library, User Base available, User bases game preference, As well Marketing of the game in general). Speaking of, I did not see ONE commercial on American TV before Kill Zone 2. Conversely, I saw billboards, Master Chief on Coke products, Mountain Dew products, etc.

Xbox 360 is a shooter console. Shooters sell on it better than PS3. It's a fact of the industry. Then again, Platformers, Action games, Fighting games and a whole host of other games. Generally sell better on the PS3 when you factor in the amount of people that own the system.

No one in their right mind would have suggested that Kill Zone 2 would surpass one of (If not the largest) openings in Video game history of Halo 3.

Sales do not reflect 'killing' of a game. If Kill Zone 2 is viewed positively among game players. It will garner further hype and further sales (And have excellent legs from people on the fence about it).

Kill Zone 3 then could become an established franchise with it's own fanatical following.

Halo 1 didn't sell that amazing initially. It garnered more attention and more attention. By Halo 2 it exploded with sales (Initiallly) and eventually many people owned Halo 1.

That is a made up fact and I call bull crap on it:)  Truth be told, multiplatform sells generally get divided pretty equal to marketshare. (i.e. 60% on 360, 40% on ps3).  That goes for almost every game out there.  You say figting games, so if we look at soul caliber 4 which has been out for a while now, the ps3 has sold about 45% to 360's 55%.  When combine the consoles sale numbers, ps3 would have 42% and 360 would have 58%, so you can see the game divide's pretty darn evenly.  While, if you were to look at assassins creed, which is a stealth/action/platformer, the ps3 has 42% and the 360 has 58%, which goes along very well with the system numbers.  If you actually look at the games you would see that is pretty much how it GENERALLY is, with a few exceptions like devil may cry which is a former ps exclusive and therefore most of it's fans are ps owners.  When people say the 360 is a shooter console, I tend to think it an ignorant statement, because to be fair, it only has like 3 shooters that the playstation doesn't, that being halo and the 2 gears.  I would say it is an RPG console more than a shooter, because it certainly has a heck of a lot more rpg's than the ps3 has.  However, like I said, multiplatform games are pretty evenly divided in sales, there isn't one core demographic that owns a system and only plays a certain type of game.

do you see halo killer ,?..never mix ''leyend'' with ''hype'' my friend

''Halo reach''.. sell 7.m first week ,Believe¡¡¡¡¡¡