By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unreal Tournament 3

grandmaster192 said:
Call Of Duty 4 is a master piece that deserves to sale well.

No worry. There is enough room for two great FPS... Both games will sell descently. I expect CoD4 to sell more though.

Around the Network

Killzone... you ask and you shall recieve:

Some random stuff from around the web.

"Will the single player campaign have a legitimate storyline with a plot, or will it be a series of bot matches?

Jeff Morris We feel the single player is a huge improvement over the ladders we've had in UT products previously. You are definitely blasting your way through a storyline of revenge, leading your team of distinct personalities across the galaxy. It still feels like UT though, so there's respawning, pickups, etc.

Speaking of bots, how has bot AI improved since UT 2004?

Jeff Morris - We're fortunate in that we didn't have to reinvent the wheel when it came to our AI. Rather than having to spend time on getting them to do the basics like shooting and moving, we spent it on making them play more like human beings play. In ut2004 for instance, once a bot calculated that it was going to miss, it would randomly shoot around the player. Now a human when he misses a target because it dodges away, they'll shoot where the player was heading, not some random direction.

Those details are where we're spending the most of our AI development."

"In building the single-player game, the developers used a process which embodies this approach: taking favorite parts of UT and using them to mold something new. UT3 revolves around the new Warfare mode which draws on the best parts of the Assault and Onslaught modes in prior UTs. As a quick refresher, Assault appeared in the first Unreal Tournament. It served up set piece battles where one team defended a base against an assault by the other team, which needed to break in and accomplish simple goals like destroying computer stations. In later versions, the mode became more refined but the basics remained the same. Onslaught debuted in UT2K4, and quickly became the game's defining mode. Teams faced off on large maps where the goal was to destroy the reactor located within the enemy base. The catch was that to get there, you had to seize control of power nodes that linked you to the reactor core before you could damage it.

With a little creative license you can imagine how the new single-player combines these elements into a more cohesive whole. Instead of seemingly random snapshots of conflict within the universe, the modes now build one on another, with a story progression. That includes using cinematic-style cut-scenes between levels to advance the plot. To help bridge the potential disconnect with the action that could cause, branching points that hinge on your actions will offer multiple potential routes through the campaign. The intent is to help create the sense that what you do actually matters, and you're not just completing the next marker to tick off as you chug through the levels.

Your character also now takes on more of a set personality, and your team consists of the same three guys, who you build relationships with, instead of choosing free agents to fill out the positions like the general manager of a football team. Beyond that, we don't know much, to some degree because not all the details have been locked down. For instance, plenty remains to be determined about exactly whom you play as. We know that he's part of a military force for the mining clan on the planet Taryd, and that an invasion by the Necris (another alien race in the Unreal universe) has disrupted the corporations who are vying for the natural resources (along with the very Tournament itself).

Beyond that, though, the rest is conjecture. What we can imagine is a combination of large outdoor maps, akin to the old Onslaught mode, that in turn lead to more intimate maps more along the lines of Assault games. And, certainly, nothing says they have to keep lines between the two. There's every reason to expect that mission objectives could span both wide-open environments and tight corridors.

Even with such grand sounding plans, all talk about the game consistently comes back to making it more true to core UT ideals. All these new levels for the campaign will be playable in multiplayer. And, along with the usual competitive game types, you'll be able to play the campaign in co-op with three others filling out the team. That four man team size also gives some sense of the more personal in-your-face combat the devs aim to achieve this time around. However you play it, though, when you're in the heat of battle, the ultimate goal for Unreal Tournament 3 is that you won't be aware of whether you're online or off -- just kill or be killed. "

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Looks and sounds sweet, possible purchase for me next year (no PS3 yet...).

Dallinor said:
That's running at 30fps? It looks super smooth.

Yea, Resistance and Gears ran at 30fps too and they were smooth. 

That looks amazing.
If this doesn't come out on the 360, I'd buy a PS3.
That's right: system seller.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

New news: The PS3 version will run at 60fps, not 30fps.

http://www.gamernode.com/News/3839-PS3-has-best-version-of-UT3/index.html

"Also, Epic has stated that UT3 is going to run at a blazing 60 frames per second, and that both versions [PS3 and PC] look identical. Now, take into consideration that the Sixaxis controls are only available on PS3, and also that the only way you can be 100% sure you'll get the full graphical experience is via a unified format (ala a console). Add keyboard and mouse support and it's looking like the PS3 version is the one to get.

I know most PC gamers won't want to hear it, but come release day, the console gamers might have a leg up on them for a change."

Actually, that's not new news, Dallinor. It's a misinformed article. Straight from Mark Rein:

Q: Soo.... does this mean future 360 UE3 games will also hit 60FPS?

Mark Rein: 60 fps with UE3 is possible if we sets that as our goal. We chose not to do that with Gears of War because we wanted to deliver a cinematic high-action experience with high-end graphics. I think everyone can agree we achieved our goal. With UT3 our goal is an even higher level of action, an even higher level of visuals, and to achieve this with even more players/bots in the game. Our goal isn't 60 fps because we would have to compromise on some of those things to achieve it in every situation. I think in the final game we're going to lock frame rate at 30fps and you'll be so happy playing the game, so thrilled with how amazingly it all comes together, and so involved in the action you won't care what the frame rate is the way you didn't care when you played Gears.

Gears of War has (so far) outsold all Xbox 360 and PS3 games - it runs at 30fps and, thus far, has set the visual high-bar (for an action game) this generation only a year into the life of the platform it shipped on. Hopefully we'll be achieving that with UT3 on PS3 this fall as well. One of the reasons people were drawn to the game was because of the amazing visuals. I would expect that if we ever do make a sequel to Gears then our goal would be to utilize the improvements we will have made in our engine performance and functionality to push the visuals and game play up a notch or two. I suspect fans of the game would be much happier with us doing this than they would with us compromising on those things to reach the higher frame rate they probably wouldn't notice anyway.

Q: I am stupid, but i don't quite get it.
Are you saying UT3 for PS3 are not confirm 60FPS...yet?

Mark Rein: I'm saying the demo they saw could have been 60 fps. We have not locked frame rate yet so right now it depends on things like what level they were running and how many bots they put in, what mutators they were running, etc. When we get it finished and locked down it should run at 30 fps all the time.

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=938392#post938392

Gears running at 30fps should make everyone happy that UT3 will run at 30fps and be prettier.

yea its not running at 60fps, the developer said it when gamespot asked, he said he is not expecting it to be 60fps, but if could be possible if they set it as our goal.

edit: I need help on my grammar.

mM

A solid 30 fps is always better than a shaky 60.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

vizunary said:
Killzone3 said:
Looks uber sweet, god damn Epic knows their art.

Any one know anything about the single player ??

hopefully it's ALOT better single player than the last one i played, not holding my breath though.

the single player is training for the multiplayer, nothing more, plus the gameplay is awesome in the single player as the AI is challenging (but on Godlike for me =])

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453