By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should I give Xenogears a Try?

100 what? U.S. Dollars?

It depends. Do you like books? Do you like to read a LOT? If so, then go for it.

Me? I still have my friends copy, I can't get through it without sleeping. Excellent, absolutely awesome story, sweet concept. I love it so far. but it is sooooo boring and loong reading. Its esentially a book. I like it, don't get me wrong, but its kinda like the more extreme storytelling aspect of an RPG game, rather than the other side of the spectrum where its moreso action.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Around the Network

First disc of Xenogears was amazing. Second disc was horrible... the game felt cut short and the lame story twist they throw you through made me mad when I first played the game (bought it when it first came out). Also the random battles especially on the second disc are endless and repetitive to the point of annoying. I recommend a first disc play through but can't recommend the second disc at all.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Euphoria14 said:
flagship said:
No, I've tried playing it several times and have never managed to make it beyond 6 hours in. Like FF7 it has a very rabbit fanbase who love to insist it's the best RPG ever, so take the massive praise with a grain of salt.

Lunar is a fun little game with enjoyable characters, storyline, and the combat system has a few interesting tweaks to the typical normal turn based combat setup. I really enjoyed Legend of Legaia, but the graphics are horribly dated and the combat system gets repetitive after a while.

I would second Lunar. Excellent game.

I must admit though, to say "take the massive praise with a grain of salt" makes me very sad.

Well people tend to overhype the old classics out of nostalgia. Xenogears, FF4,6,7, Suikoden 2, Lunar, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger etc. were all very solid games for their time.

However if I were to go off to ebay and spend what some of those sell for these days fully expecting that I'm going to play the best RPG ever created I'd find myself very dissapointed in the end. 

lol, rabbit fanbase... ahhh I spelzors so well!

Go with Xenogears, also go with Parasite Eve (amazing RPG), Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, Star Ocean: The Second Story, Suikoden I & II, Front Mission 3, Valkyrie Profile, Tales of Destiny 2, Breath of Fire III-IV, Grandia, Dragon Quest VII, Persona 1, etc.

Yes, my avatar say so

that's enough for anyone.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network

Yes, YES, HELL YES!!!

Second best RPG ever, right behind Chrono Trigger.

Don't listen to the haters, this game is amazing. The storyline is fantastic right from the beginning and the battle system is one of the best you will ever see in a rpg even now.You can pull off crazy combos called Deathblows which looks freaking epic, you can also fight in gears so it like this game has two different types of battle systems. The music was and still is one of the best i have ever hear in a rpg and the sound effect still sounds greats.The second disk is mostly cutscenes but the first disk is where 60 hours of the game is in and the second disk has about 8 to 10 hours of the game in it so it really does not matter if most of the game is in the first disk.I don't think this game is the best rpg out of nostalgia, it really is to me the best rpg of all time. But at the same time it really depends on your taste in rpg so you sould just try it out and judge it for yourself.

Everyone, just sit back, relax, and enjoy the greatest overworld theme ever put into an RPG.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Now for that same excellent theme, only with words.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

You give xenogears a try. Its one of the best rpg's of all time. Also give Final Fantasy Ix a try. Zidane is one of the best leads in a final fantasy game.