By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should I give Xenogears a Try?

Millennium said:
Xenogears is a decent game. It could have been one of the best of all time, but it suffers from a few deep flaws.

The story is amazing, and the battle system is creative and was very innovative for its time (and perhaps even still). Unfortunately, the rumors of it being an incomplete game are true: they ran out of money shortly after finishing Disc 1, and so Disc 2 attempts to finish up the story with many hours of cutscenes but maybe 3-4 hours of gameplay total on that disc. Some theorize that the demand for cutscene-skip really got started because this game lacked it, and often featured long cutscenes before boss fights, leading to what some refer to as "Xenogears Penalty Mode": if you lost a boss fight you'd have to sit through the cutscene again before you could try again.

Xenogears' relationship to Xenosaga is a strange one. Xenogears was originally made to be the fifth game in a series, but none of the others were ever made; Square-Enix cancelled the project after the first game. The people who worked on the project left Square-Enix to form their own company, but they couldn't truly continue the series since Square-Enix still owned the IP, so they started work on a Xenogears-like series that became Xenosaga.

I think depends, Xenogears's 2nd disk may have been full of cutscenes but the storyline was so incredible it did not even matter.But the combat system was incredible as well so it depends.

Around the Network

Who cares if the 2nd disc only had 3-4 hours of gameplay, the damn game lasts at least 60-70 hours easy on a first playthrough.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Also 60 hours of the game was on the first disk so it doesn't matter.

No, I've tried playing it several times and have never managed to make it beyond 6 hours in. Like FF7 it has a very rabbit fanbase who love to insist it's the best RPG ever, so take the massive praise with a grain of salt.

Lunar is a fun little game with enjoyable characters, storyline, and the combat system has a few interesting tweaks to the typical normal turn based combat setup. I really enjoyed Legend of Legaia, but the graphics are horribly dated and the combat system gets repetitive after a while.

Vagrant Story never held my interest as a player, but it's my wife's favorite game of all time so I've seen it played through more than once. So I can recognize it as an awesome game, even though it's not really my thing.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network
flagship said:
No, I've tried playing it several times and have never managed to make it beyond 6 hours in. Like FF7 it has a very rabbit fanbase who love to insist it's the best RPG ever, so take the massive praise with a grain of salt.

Lunar is a fun little game with enjoyable characters, storyline, and the combat system has a few interesting tweaks to the typical normal turn based combat setup. I really enjoyed Legend of Legaia, but the graphics are horribly dated and the combat system gets repetitive after a while.

I've played Lunar 1 and 2 and loved them and i can still tell you that Xenogears is waaaaaaayyyyy better then them.

flagship said:

I would second Lunar. Excellent game.

I must admit though, to say "take the massive praise with a grain of salt" makes me very sad.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

It's quite good, I haven't finished it though, sadly... The battle system is very enjoyable, awesome characters and the story is great. Not to mention the graphics and music are pretty nice for a PS1 game.

I'm not very good at going into deep details, so I'll just say yes.

u gotta try it but with caution,because is a little boring in some parts of the story

should you? yes.