By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo Wars gets 6.5/10 from Gamespot!!

vlad321 said:
Barozi said:
vlad321 said:
There's a difference between "Better than I thuoght it would be" and being "actually good and awesome." From the demo, this RTS is ridiculously simplistic when compared to other RTSes and that's a fact. I don't know about 6.5 but it did not deserve even an 8 imo.

Yeah because every game must be complex or else it's bad.....

Because it's too simple to be enjoyable. Too many intricacies missing, too little strategy. In fact I'm happy it's getting these scores, that way we won't see a flood of shitty RTS cames on consoles which people claim are god, the way we are seeing with FPSes.

If the sales are good, they will come.

Oh and almost forgot: Halo series IS god.

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:
vlad321 said:
Barozi said:
vlad321 said:
There's a difference between "Better than I thuoght it would be" and being "actually good and awesome." From the demo, this RTS is ridiculously simplistic when compared to other RTSes and that's a fact. I don't know about 6.5 but it did not deserve even an 8 imo.

Because it's too simple to be enjoyable. Too many intricacies missing, too little strategy. In fact I'm happy it's getting these scores, that way we won't see a flood of shitty RTS cames on consoles which people claim are god, the way we are seeing with FPSes.

Oh, you've played the final game?

Comparing it to the other RTS demos, mostly DoW, WC3, etc., it's very lacking. WC3 got a 90 from Gamestop, this game doesn't even come up to the ankles of what WC3 is and you expect a higher score?

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:

Comparing it to the other RTS demos, mostly DoW, WC3, etc., it's very lacking. WC3 got a 90 from Gamestop, this game doesn't even come up to the ankles of what WC3 is and you expect a higher score?

I wasn't expecting Halo Wars to be getting higher scores than what it is.  I have said all along the game will be in the 80-85 range. And it is.

vlad321 said:
JaggedSac said:
vlad321 said:
Barozi said:
vlad321 said:

Because it's too simple to be enjoyable. Too many intricacies missing, too little strategy. In fact I'm happy it's getting these scores, that way we won't see a flood of  RTS cames on consoles which people claim are god, the way we are seeing with FPSes.

I have played the final game - reviewed it and loved it. Let me ask you this - how well do RTS games sell? Are they hits?

According to the info on this site, most RTS games on consoles sell like 500,000 on average. They aren't huge successes. To get a much larger crowd, Ensemble went a different route, watered the game down far enough that casual RTS fans would be pleased and non-RTS fans would give this game a look-see. What makes Halo Wars unique is - it caters to 3 fans - the Halo fanboys, the casual RTS fans and folks who enjoyed the demo who don't play RTS games on consoles.

For the future, making RTS games on consoles will yield good returns. Unlike PC games that go cheap way fast, a very good console game will retain its value for much, much longer (COD4 on the 360 says hello).

I do predict meh sales initially, but it will build up a head of steam and be a huge, huge seller for MS, even without bundling.

Word of mouth and a simpler RTS experience will sell this game.

dark_gh0st_b0y said:
average score is 83, which is still awful for a Halo game, if you think Halo 3 got 9.5 and above, it's like saying Halo Wars is as good as House of the Dead Overkill, where Halo Wars should be over 90 if you think of aaaall that hype and so on

also, Gamespot is considered as the most reliable gaming source

Halo 3 is an FPS - Halo Wars is an RTS. Big difference. And not trying to defend Halo Wars, but Gamespot is one review site. For me, they've always been hit or miss. The person reviewing it doesn't like RTS games and doomed it from the start. While he had some valid points, he still missed key factors making this game a winner.

BTW, have you played the demo?

Around the Network
madskillz said:
vlad321 said:
JaggedSac said:
vlad321 said:
Barozi said:
vlad321 said:

Because it's too simple to be enjoyable. Too many intricacies missing, too little strategy. In fact I'm happy it's getting these scores, that way we won't see a flood of  RTS cames on consoles which people claim are god, the way we are seeing with FPSes.

I have played the final game - reviewed it and loved it. Let me ask you this - how well do RTS games sell? Are they hits?

According to the info on this site, most RTS games on consoles sell like 500,000 on average. They aren't huge successes. To get a much larger crowd, Ensemble went a different route, watered the game down far enough that casual RTS fans would be pleased and non-RTS fans would give this game a look-see. What makes Halo Wars unique is - it caters to 3 fans - the Halo fanboys, the casual RTS fans and folks who enjoyed the demo who don't play RTS games on consoles.

For the future, making RTS games on consoles will yield good returns. Unlike PC games that go cheap way fast, a very good console game will retain its value for much, much longer (COD4 on the 360 says hello).

I do predict meh sales initially, but it will build up a head of steam and be a huge, huge seller for MS, even without bundling.

Starcraft and Brood Wars have sold more than Halo 3.  Please try again.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
madskillz said:
vlad321 said:
JaggedSac said:
vlad321 said:
Barozi said:
vlad321 said:

Starcraft and Brood Wars have sold more than Halo 3.  Please try again.

Are they on the 360 or PS3? If you want to compare PC games to console games, me thinks you are in the wrong thread.

I also forgot to address your EXTREMELY wrong view of how log games retian their values. Starcraft STILL sells and you can STILL see it in the cheap bins. The legs of PC games are far far longer than any console game. COD4 is still a child compared to how well some PC games are still selling.

Also, when you compare a game you compare it to all games in its genre, and in this case Halo Wars falls flat on its face. Kudos on at least being playable.

My only 'concern' with this review is that I really do not think it was a fair review. Looking at Gamespots reviews of other console RTS games :

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews.html?platform=1029&category=Real-Time+Strategy&type=reviews&mode=top&sort=post_date&sortdir=asc

Only Supreme Commander and Warhammer got worse scores mainly because of bad controls. Their review of Halo Wars would suggest that it is significantly worse than all the Command and Conquer games, worse than Lord of the rings, battlestation midway and endwar. In actual fact they gave Tiberium Wars a 8.7. I have played CC:TW and it is a good game, but if I compare the demo of Halo Wars to CC:TW in no way is there a 8.7 : 6.5 difference. Thats equivalent to the difference between Haze and Killzone2.

And to those that are griping about not playing the other factions, I agree that it is not 'traditional' gameplay, but what is wrong playing something a little different? Why do we 'have to' play the flood and Covenant in the campaign? I am all about getting more story, but I am all about kicking the covenant and the flood's assess all over the maps.

I didn't think the game would do so well. I'm actually surprised! If it grabs great sales, perhaps we'll see developers bring over more RTS goodness that actually works.

Even though I'm not into Halo, I really want to see for myself how the controls handle.

Person 1: Does Valkyria Chronicles have trophies?
Person 2:  No.
Person 1: Forget it. I'm not buying it.
Person 2: Wait! It's amazing! Unique, charming, drop dead gorgeous... Hello?