By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First day sales in Japan - Star Ocean IV, Idolmaster SP, Shining Force DS

The better comparison will be SO3 vs. SO4 globally, not just Japan.

This is absolutely true. But so far only Lost Odyssey has been something of a success worldwide.

on the other hand you seem to be "ignoring" its poor japanese sales

And with the current Yen and massive share of sales in Japan for JRPGs darthdev has a point. Especially in Japan it would make most sense to treat the HD platforms as one, although that goes against the Japanese tradition. Financially I completely agree that PS3 AND 360 exclusives in predominantly Japanese genres are stupid, unless there's financial support from Sony/Microsoft.

Around the Network
RPG said:

SO4 should easily reach WKC numbers but an established IP vs new IP is not fair at all. Ryu Ga Gokotu 3 vs SO4 would be a better comparison and we all know how that one is going to pan out.

I will let the WKC vs SO4 comparison slide by this time due to the install bases.

@Bitmap Frogs SO4 will overtake Blue Dragon no problem, basically WKC numbers

I know I will get attacked by someone for this but as I said about a month ago I think this argument is also very weak.

The 360 install base, if you go by the consoles history there is pretty much built up because of the steady lineup of JRPGs going to the system. Even if the system is below 1M I am pretty damn sure they had more people buy the system for RPGs than the PS3 has currently. I would even go far enough to say that I think at least 50% of the Japan user base bought the 360 due to the JRPG releases, I also think that is why it is up YOY there as well.

How did sales look before the explosion of JRPG titles?

I think 360 JRPG install base > current PS3 JRPG install base.

This is my opinion but I think it has some merit.

Still, like I said in my first post, I think it has a shot at possible WKC Lifetime sales in Japan. Still though, even if this game hits 200k first week it is still 33% below the series average for 1st week sales which I doubt S-E is celebrating over.

Anyone know if this game cost more to develop than SO3? If so, then that is even less for them to celebrate, unless of course the $10 premium on HD titles helps it there. Wasn't this game also more expensive than most 360 games in Japan? I thought I saw that somewhere.

Alright, who is first to try and shoot down my opinion here.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Some people confuse first day with first week. And first week for SO4 will actually be 3 days all in all. Level-5 RPGs on Sony consoles have always sold 300k-500k in Japan and all have been new IPs (except Dark Cloud 2).

Bitmap Frogs said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Munkeh111 said:
@ RPG, but how many Xbox 360 gamers will have played Star Ocean games before?

a fairly good amount considering alot of 360 owners also own a ps3 who probably owned ps and ps2 and nes

What what? Your source on that, please.

@RPG: really? finally! It's both amazing and sad that nothing has topped out BD since it released in 2006.

ever wonder why multiplats sell in favor of the ps3 by 320k to 20k like pes but 360 exclusives sell 150k? why would exclusives sell much better than games like pes? then look at ps3 exclusives like wkc... selling similar to pes....

@Euphoria14 you don't need to tell me that install base =/= sales as I know about market saturation but it is good to keep some idiots happy who do think install base = sales.

Around the Network
Bitmap Frogs said:
Munkeh111 said:
@ RPG, but how many Xbox 360 gamers will have played Star Ocean games before?

a fairly good amount considering alot of 360 owners also own a ps3 who probably owned ps and ps2 and nes

What what? Your source on that, please.

@RPG: really? finally! It's both amazing and sad that nothing has topped out BD since it released in 2006.

ever wonder why multiplats sell in favor of the ps3 by 320k to 20k like pes but 360 exclusives sell 150k? why would exclusives sell much better than games like pes? then look at ps3 exclusives like wkc... selling similar to pes....

So you have no proof, no source, no demographic analysis. Just speculation. Have you even considered in your speculative thought about alternative explanations to those phenomena?

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

memory2zack said:
Some people confuse first day with first week. And first week for SO4 will actually be 3 days all in all.

4 - like 99% of games released in Japan.

bitmap - my proof was in sales performances. its pretty obvious 360 owners bought it for the exclusives and buy multis on the ps3 but its ok turn a blind eye

Why has this thread turned into a bitch fest?

Give credit where credit is due, SO4 has done very well on the 360 with a great attach rate. Hardware sales for this week will have the 360 on top because SO4 which is some feat.

Next week we will have Yakuza 3 for the PS3 and soon after RE5 for both consoles. Let us wait and see how those games go head to head.

Star Scream said:
memory2zack said:
Some people confuse first day with first week. And first week for SO4 will actually be 3 days all in all.

4 - like 99% of games released in Japan.

no 3, thursday, friday and saturday. Aren´t shop closed on sunday?