By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First day sales in Japan - Star Ocean IV, Idolmaster SP, Shining Force DS

RPG said:
@Euphoria14 you don't need to tell me that install base =/= sales as I know about attach rate but it is good to keep some idiots happy who do think install base = sales.

At least the first reply wasn't someone trying to shoot me down.

Only a few more days before I can play this game. I love Star Ocean.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
memory2zack said:
Star Scream said:
memory2zack said:
Some people confuse first day with first week. And first week for SO4 will actually be 3 days all in all.

4 - like 99% of games released in Japan.

no 3, thursday, friday and saturday. Aren´t shop closed on sunday?

No. Also, Japanese don't work on Saturdays...

RPG said:
Rei said:

It's good to see that fanboys are already around for a damage control.

The argument is pointless though. Shinji Hashimoto (producer of Final Fantasy Versus XIII, by the way) has already said that SE will continue to support X360 in Japan. That means that either they are happy with perfomance of their titles on 360 or MS pays them much more than we could assume (not to mention that Namco said they are happy with ToV sales aswell)

Either way, their strategy works.

Good to see someone else has entered this thread to add some fuel to the fire.

SO4 not going multi-plat is by far the most retarded decision made by SE this generation, PS3 would have taken care of Japan sales and both WW sales. Versus on 360 should happen but if it did stay exclusive the PS3 would still be able to do a million first week in Japan, let alone WW.

It's like people saying the 360 will get its own exclusive FF game, now that would take SE retardation to a whole new level.

I think you forget the difficulties that may be involved in porting a RPG to another system. We've seen very few get ported, since development has usually began very early in the cycle for the bigger JRPGs (SO4's case, the PS3 dev kits weren't out, as per Square reps).

On the other hand, Crystal Tools was meant for multi-plat, so it should be expected that 100% of those games can, and should, go multi-plat. I guess my question is how many games aren't using it.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Max King of the Wild said:
bitmap - my proof was in sales performances. its pretty obvious 360 owners bought it for the exclusives and buy multis on the ps3 but its ok turn a blind eye

The problem is, you are making a statement about a fact without having looked at the facts.

What you are doing is constructing an hypothesis about a fact.

Well, since you don't have any facts about console demographics, I'll counter it with another hypothesis: the people that bought a X360 in japan they did because they don't like the same games the ps3 buyers do.

You see? I can play that game too. Since neither you nor me have actual data on the demographics of the console market in Japan, neither your hypothesis nor mine can be disputed. From what you and me know, both can be true.

We could get on a debate about each other's speculation, like for example I could criticize you haven't taken into account userbase differences. But it doesn't matter - nor you, nor me can have a proper knowledge of this particular issue.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Star Scream said:
memory2zack said:
Star Scream said:
memory2zack said:
Some people confuse first day with first week. And first week for SO4 will actually be 3 days all in all.

4 - like 99% of games released in Japan.

no 3, thursday, friday and saturday. Aren´t shop closed on sunday?

No. Also, Japanese don't work on Saturdays...

I don´t understand what you´re saying...

Around the Network

SO4 is using the unreal engine, that works for PS3 and no doubt SO4 will come to the PS3 but as a 6/12 month old port. Crystal Tools only came to be about 1-2 years ago, before it was the White engine which was much more powerful then the engine SE have now for FFXIII as it was made just for the PS3.

Versus is using a "modified" version of Crystal Tools according to Dengeki some time ago ala that is the white engine. Versus will be much much more difficult to go to the 360 as that truly is being built ground up for the PS3. SO4 will be a piece of cake though as should FFXIII.

The MMORPG is using Crystal Tools as is FFXIII, looking at the size of SE another FF game could be in the making. SO4 did not use the Crystal Tools engine because SE do not outsource there engines to tri-ACE or any other of the "lesser" teams.

RPG said:
SO4 is using the unreal engine, that works for PS3 and no doubt SO4 will come to the PS3 but as a 6/12 month old port. Crystal Tools only came to be about 1-2 years ago, before it was the White engine which was much more powerful then the engine SE have now for FFXIII as it was made just for the PS3.

Versus is using a "modified" version of Crystal Tools according to Dengeki some time ago ala that is the white engine. Versus will be much much more difficult to go to the 360 as that truly is being built ground up for the PS3. SO4 will be a piece of cake though as should FFXIII.

The MMORPG is using Crystal Tools as is FFXIII, looking at the size of SE another FF game could be in the making. SO4 did not use the Crystal Tools engine because SE do not outsource there engines to tri-ACE or any other of the "lesser" teams.

Your wrong about SO4 using UE. I'm suprised you didn't know that it uses the Infinite Undiscovery engine, which is not a PS3 engine currently.

Here's the exact quote from IGN:

[This question was asked over 100 times] In the past the Star Ocean series has been known to be a Sony systems (PlayStation(s)) game only. With the fairly recent announcement of Final Fantasy XIII coming to the Xbox 360, do we have any chance of seeing Star Ocean 4 made for the PlayStation 3?

Star Ocean Dev Team:
There are currently no plans for a PlayStation 3 version.

What game engine is tri-Ace using for SO4, is it the Unreal 3.5 engine or an original engine created for the game??

Star Ocean Dev Team:
The engine being used for Star Ocean: The Last Hope is an original engine developed by tri-Ace. The same engine was used for Infinite Undiscovery as well.

Also, how is FFvsXIII being 'truly' build from the ground up for the PS3, and XIII was not?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

RPG said:
SO4 is using the unreal engine, that works for PS3 and no doubt SO4 will come to the PS3 but as a 6/12 month old port.

No! They are using their own engine. Why do you think Gotanda, CEO and owner of Tri-Ace, spent all these years in R&D?

RPG said:

Isn't it using the IU in house engine?

Edit: I'm slow

Great sells for Star Ocean 4!