By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone 2 framerate can drop as low as 20fps

Still better than Shadow of the Colossus (which went down to 5 fps sometimes...)

Around the Network

every game drops in frame rate its not that big of a deal as long as it only lasts a few seconds and dosnt keep me from advancing a level or something like that. All in all who cares if it drops a couple frames

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

SHMUPGurus said:
soulsamurai said:
Are you guys kidding me.....have you guys even played the demo? Those dips in frame rates arn't even noticeable visually, and at the times it reached 20 fps was from a 1 second preload.

Don't forget the "bridge exploding" part. As we all know, it was pretty obvious that this part would lag though... But that's exactly the problem! I shouldn't be thinking about framedrops when I'm playing my HD console games, but console developers, especially 1st party ones, seem to have a certain will to try to compete with PC gaming or something (I could elaborate on that later)...

That part in the video where the bridge blew up went to 26 frames per second, and that was based on the demo. Again though, it's not noticeable at all. Wow, so your going to complain because someone told you the Frame rate dips even if you can't see it yourself? But again, this is based on the demo, I'll wait for the final build and see if I notice anything myself. I doubt I will.

PS3 Trophies

SHMUPGurus said:
soulsamurai said:
Are you guys kidding me.....have you guys even played the demo? Those dips in frame rates arn't even noticeable visually, and at the times it reached 20 fps was from a 1 second preload.

Don't forget the "bridge exploding" part. As we all know, it was pretty obvious that this part would lag though... But that's exactly the problem! I shouldn't be thinking about framedrops when I'm playing my HD console games, but console developers, especially 1st party ones, seem to have a certain will to try to compete with PC gaming or something (I could elaborate on that later)...

I know you're stabing at crysis and while others have compared to it, I have not.

I'm not going to take the time to look through your post history to see if you even played the demo or beta, but when you play your screen shakes so much from a realistic standpoint that you can't even notice the drop while playing, and even if you somehow did is that 4 frames per second less which were on for a second, maybe two......really.....really honestly killing your entire gaming experience. That's like saying you bought grapejuice that is only 99 percent juice so its utter garbage.

I can say after playing through the beta that at least your multiplayer experience will be a constant 30 FPs or at least damn near close even with 3 or 4 explosions in the backround.

Has it really come down to the fact that someone has to nitpick through screen tests to find a flaw? Almost everygame has a drop in it somewhere, however because this is Killzone 2 "OMG THERE IS A DROP THIS GAME IS UTTER SHIT!"

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

NJ5 said:
So not only is it not 60 fps, but it's not even a stable 30 fps? If this is what passes for a technically good game these days, fine...

It's quite annoying that most of the 360 games I played have noticeable framerate dips whereas the Wii is much better in this regard.

maybe not Wiisports. but have you tried "Deadly Creature"?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

20 isn't good, but as long as it's a smooth 20 and not a drop of something like 26 to 20 it's barely going to be noticeable.

20 is just barely pushing past the edge but the real thing that kills games are framerate spikes. As long as it's a constant 20-ish with the -ish being on the higher side of 20, it's not a huge deal.

soulsamurai said:
SHMUPGurus said:
soulsamurai said:

I know you're stabing at crysis and while others have compared to it, I have not.

I'm not going to take the time to look through your post history to see if you even played the demo or beta, but when you play your screen shakes so much from a realistic standpoint that you can't even notice the drop while playing, and even if you somehow did is that 4 frames per second less which were on for a second, maybe two......really.....really honestly killing your entire gaming experience. That's like saying you bought grapejuice that is only 99 percent juice so its utter garbage.

I can say after playing through the beta that at least your multiplayer experience will be a constant 30 FPs or at least damn near close even with 3 or 4 explosions in the backround.

Had it really come down to the fact that someone has to nitpick through screen tests to find a flaw? Almost everygame has a drop in it somewhere, however because this is Killzone 2 "OMG THERE IS A DROP THIS GAME IS UTTER SHIT!"

Haha, wow. Don't get me wrong, I think Killzone 2 is an amazing game. I played the demo over and over again, I just can't wait to play it. With this said, did I compare the game with Crysis, really? My point was that I can bare with slow game speeds. I've been playing Crysis at 24 fps for the past few years because my laptop sucks ass! xD

Why does everyone say they can't see lag in a game? Am I the only one with amazing eyes or something? A drop from 30 to lower is definitely obvious. It's even worse from 60 to lower!

I'm just saying that I've noticed mostly framedrops in HD games this gen, and nobody likes framedrops. At least, I hope so. It's like if console developers have a point to prove, that "OMG, my console can do this."

A last little experience I've had with a laggy HD game was Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. The game dropped in so many areas that the controls suffered "laggyness" too. I know, maybe Guerilla  Games are better developers that can handle that kind of lag better or something? xD

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

in one scene it dropped to 16 FPS but it was due to a preload i assume

Improvements are caused by people who complain

Without a steady 30FPS and without split screen I cannot consider this game usable to compare to other shooters which do have a solid frame-rate and split screen. Nice job, but its not fair to compare games which don't make these sacrafices to one that does.

Tease.

Meh I'm not too fluent in the technical aspects of the game but, did we all forget that Killzone won't have any installation? (from the best of my knowledge)

Play and/or create your own dream games below. Message for more info. ^_^