By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 4.5 million PSPs sold in Asia (outside of Japan) - official Sony numbers!

outlawauron said:
BKK2 said:
NJ5 said:
BKK2 said:
Well, they've already launched Wii in Korea. As long as the hardware is profitable then I don't think the manufacturers are overly concerned about piracy in emerging markets. Lucky for SCE Asia that the loss-leading PS3 hasn't been hacked yet.

Is piracy that widespread in Korea?

Same as nearly everywhere else in Asia.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3698/piracy_in_korea_r4_triumphant.php

Interesting, but expected.

yes, everyone has a R4 in Korea, i don't think i ever saw a DS without a R4 in Korea and i saw a lot of DSs.  Didn't matter the age, 3rd graders all had them as well as junior high kids.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
johnsobas said:
well i can tell you from spending a year in korea that it's quite popular there, but DS is much more popular. I bet PSP is close to a million in korea alone, DS is well over 2 million now. The problem with these asian countries is nobody buys the games, everyone is pirating.

I missed DS hitting 2 million in Korea, but a quick Google showed it happened earlier this month. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=71349

Playstation 3 and PSP are more popular everywhere except US. people in the US needs to look at how things are outside their country for a second.

PullusPardus said:
Playstation 3 and PSP are more popular everywhere except US. people in the US needs to look at how things are outside their country for a second.

Actually that's not true at all, especially about the PS3.  Most other countries are more interested in handhelds than the US, that's the main reason the PSP isn't that popular.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

PSP was at 380,000 in Mexico through the end of 2007 according to some internet sleuthing in English and Spanish. Mexico is 40-60% of the Latin America market so iits unlikely that PSP sales outside the USA and Canada (~15.8m) in the Americas total more than 1m through the end of January 2009. It still looks like a shipped figure, although 16.8m out of 18m shipped in sell through is pretty solid.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Notice SCEAsia software sales though...
Hardware: 4.5 mill.
Software: 4.0 mill.

Piracy is evident over there. Oh well, they have to buy the system first

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive