Forums - Sales Discussion - 4.5 million PSPs sold in Asia (outside of Japan) - official Sony numbers!

If the PSP is that high in Asia, then PS2 must be at like 8 million. Both systems should be adjusted.

Around the Network

I agree.

NJ5 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@NJ5

Asia is the piracy king region

So take a guess lol

Yeah that's why I asked lol.

@Star Scream: No wonder Nintendo isn't exactly rushing to launch the Wii there.

Well I think they should. Nintendo could make a killing on hardware in that region.

DP

Star Scream said:
NJ5 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@NJ5

Asia is the piracy king region

So take a guess lol

Yeah that's why I asked lol.

@Star Scream: No wonder Nintendo isn't exactly rushing to launch the Wii there.

Well I think they should. Nintendo could make a killing on hardware in that region.

As long as they're selling out in other places, bringing hardware to China is a waste. Much better to sell it to people who will buy lots of games.

Once the Wii stops selling out, then they should take it to China and other countries in similar situations.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Do we know if software shipments also include movies on UMD?

Well, they've already launched Wii in Korea. As long as the hardware is profitable then I don't think the manufacturers are overly concerned about piracy in emerging markets. Lucky for SCE Asia that the loss-leading PS3 hasn't been hacked yet.

I think the main reason Nintendo haven't launched in mainland China is regulatory. Sony recently gave up after trying for several years to officially launch there.

BKK2 said:
Well, they've already launched Wii in Korea. As long as the hardware is profitable then I don't think the manufacturers are overly concerned about piracy in emerging markets. Lucky for SCE Asia that the loss-leading PS3 hasn't been hacked yet.

Is piracy that widespread in Korea?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
BKK2 said:

Is piracy that widespread in Korea?

Same as nearly everywhere else in Asia.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3698/piracy_in_korea_r4_triumphant.php