By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 4.5 million PSPs sold in Asia (outside of Japan) - official Sony numbers!

Good to see some Asian numbers, PSP is very popular here, but software is almost exclusively pirated. I'd imagine most of those 4 million software sales were bundled with hardware. At least PSP hardware should be profitable, so SCE Asia should still make a profit from PSP.

Shame they don't have regional breakdown for PS2 and PS3 too, PS2 is very popular aswell, but PS3 not so much. My guess for PS3 is probably only half a million or so. I've seen SCE Asia numbers for PS2 before, so will try to dig them up again.

Around the Network

Aj_habfan said:
It explains the lower attach rate as well. Nice find my friend.

Thank you - I guess these numbers explain everything. Funny how Sony even gave the exact number for the software sales - 197 million, instead of rounded 200 million.

PSP hardware is not the only thing undertracked here, just look at software, especially American and European figures:

UMD software sales/ breakdown by territories (sell-in as of Dec 2008)

• WW: approx 200 million (197 million)
  • SCEJ: approx 36 million
  • SCEA: approx 81 million
  • SCEE: approx 76 million
  • SCEAsia: approx 4 million

Now compare it with the site's database, especially the European and NA numbers. There can't be more than 50 million PSP games sitting on the shelves - and in Europe only, surely?

darthdevidem01 said:
on the other hand EU is overtracked for PSP then

don't forget, that "Others" on VGChartz isn't only the SCEE region, but should cover much of SCEAsia aswell (while some other parts of SCEAsia seem to be tracked under "Japan" )

VGC Americas: 16.20m
SCEA Shipped: 18m

VGC Japan: 11.82m
SCE Japan Shipped: 11.5m

VGC Europe + Australia: 13.95m
SCEE Shipped: 16m

VGC Others Other: 2.53m
SCE Asia Shipped: 4.5m

"Others Other" actually include some SCEE regions such as Middle East and Africa, so it's not a perfect comparison compared to SCEI's regions.

Just one more thing to add, all Sony numbers are as of Dec 2008 (software) and January 2009 (hardware), so they could be higher now.

Around the Network

Software numbers are through last quarter, but it seems that hardware numbers are through January:

- Q: When did PSP sell-in reach 50 million units?

January 2009 (4 years and 1 month since launch).

Q: What is the breakdown of unit sales by territories and/ or by models (1000/ 2000/ and 3000).

* SCEA: Approx. 18 million units
* SCEE: Approx. 16 million units
* SCEAsia: Approx. 4.5 million units
* SCEJ: Approx. 11.5 million units

(The numbers include bundle packs released from 3rd party publishers) We do not disclose the breakdown by models.

Nice find, I updated my post.

Thanks to this we finally know why vgchartz psp numbers were off so much. Brett couldn't possibly do anything since we just don't track that region.

At least now we know what the situation is like, i expect a lift in numbers by some 3,5 million units for the psp.

If i lose access to this profile as well....I'm done with this site.....You've been warned!!.....whoever you are...

Happy Wii60 user. Me and my family are a perfect example of where hardcore meets casual and together mutate into something awesome.

@ yanamaster )

actually VGC does try to track that region, but Brett doesn't seem to have enough sources for sales information in that (hugely populated) region to realize the PSP mistracking

For those wondering, SCE Asia basically cover SE Asia (ASEAN), Hong Kong, South Korea, and Taiwan.

West Asia (Middle East etc), and South Asia (India etc) are covered by SCEE.