By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Could Halo Wars possibly outsell the much more hyped KZ2 in first two month

what rpg said

I think many many pre-owned Halo Wars will be on shelev not long after the launch. It will get most of its sales in its first week, then start to drop of, but saying that though they have the bundle halo 3 with halo wars. Is that in NA?

KZ2 will have much better legs then Halo Wars. it all dependins on how much halo wars sells in its first week weather it will have better sales in its first 2 months then KZ2 in NA.

That being said i think KZ2 will do better

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Around the Network

im more suprised to see platinum that low. wonder how much itll sell the first week

Why would Halo Wars not have long legs? Halo 2 and Halo 3 had incredibly long legs. Halo 3 is still selling like it was launched last November. MGS 4 ran out of breath after 2 short months. Halo Wars will sell for a long time also. Halo brand is evergreen like Mario.

LOL @ people saying Halo will be frontloaded.

Another big LOL @ people that think 360 users are so dumb they pick it up and BUY it without knowing its RTS. God you think we're illiterate or something? Gamers will buy this knowing this is an RTS, and a damn decent Halo RTS with awesome cutscenes is what they will get. Not to mention I think the online for this will be very driven.

For the people that think it will be frontloaded, sure Halo puts up huge first week numbers, but Halo 3 is approaching 10 million, and it isn't going to stop there.

I really don't know what to expect of Halo Wars. It's a console RTS but it has both the Halo brand and not many big games (exclusive) released for Xbox at the same time, so who knows... Maybe half what a Halo FPS can sell...

I expect KZ2 to sell well but not crazy, at best it could have COD4 (PS3) numbers.

I'd say it will be a tie, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was totally wrong. It happens often.

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

Around the Network

Halo Wars will win first week US, just based on market share advantage and Halo branding.

Killzone2 take worldwide and lifetime numbers.

All I hope is that this means that RTS can actually be played on a console and that the PS3 gets its own versions of good RTS-games. That should broaden the variety of console gaming a bit more.

TacoBoy49 said:
Why would Halo Wars not have long legs? Halo 2 and Halo 3 had incredibly long legs. Halo 3 is still selling like it was launched last November. MGS 4 ran out of breath after 2 short months. Halo Wars will sell for a long time also. Halo brand is evergreen like Mario.

Because it's an RTS! On a console! It could be brilliant! It still won't sell Halo FPS numbers!

@seece: Oh, really? You know that Halo Wars is an RTS because you are an educated, intelligent 360 owner. Quite a few people are not. In fact, Makingmusic was telling us that somebody walked into his GameStop and asked if you could dual wield energy swords...

People will still buy it, because it has the word "Halo" and a bunch of Spartans on the front cover, and a little bit because it's actually a damned good game, but it's sales will be hurt by the fact that it's an RTS. On a console.

I don't see what MGS4 has to do with this, to be honest. It's a niche game in a niche genre, in a niche series which happens to have ahuge fanbase. It's destined to be frontloaded. An FPS is never frontloaded. CoD4 (I know not all FPS games sell like this, but for argument's sake) on PS3 sold 450k first week. Not a bad number, not very impressive. Pretty average.

It is now sitting at over 4 million sales LTD. It shows no signs of losing steam, even when a sequel has been released. It can easily do 10x its first week sales, but it's all proportional. The higher the first week, the lower the ratio of the first week to lifetime.

So, to restate what I said earlier,

First week: Halo Wars

First month: Halo Wars

First two months: Probably Halo Wars

Lifetime: Killzone 2.

There's a chance that I'm wrong, but there's a chance that you're wrong as well.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

4 years ago no one could ever have thought that a game like brain age or wii fit would be bigger system sellers than grand theft auto. 3 weeks ago, a console rts wasn't even supposed to break a million in sales, its funnyy how all these barriers get broken and people are still small minded.

TacoBoy49 said:
4 years ago no one could ever have thought that a game like brain age or wii fit would be bigger system sellers than grand theft auto. 3 weeks ago, a console rts wasn't even supposed to break a million in sales, its funnyy how all these barriers get broken and people are still small minded.

You're comparing Apples to Oranges.  First of all Wii's user base is ridiculously large.  Second of all,  Games like Wii Fit are new, fresh and different.  Halo Wars is a console RTS.  Been there,  done that.   I have no doubt the sales of it will be good.  I would venture to say  that 10% of Xbox 360 owners will purchase (Anything) and I mean (Anything) as long as the name Halo is attached. 

I don't see Halo Wars reviving the genre on consoles.  I see Halo Wars doing well for the first two weeks or so.  Maybe the first month.  Then it will sputter off and die after people realize what it's all about. 

It's nothing against RTS.  I personally enjoy them.  I know quite a few other people enjoy them.  There just has never been a control scheme that has worked out well enough on a console to make them worthwhile on console.  As such,  most seasoned RTS players will stay with what works best (Keyboard/Mouse) and you're hoping for 'Casuals' or 'Regulars' to get into a strategy game.   Just very unlikely.