By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Could Halo Wars possibly outsell the much more hyped KZ2 in first two month

I'm starting to think this could happen. Two points: First from GAF retail Musing thread Feb 09

Some preorder numbers from an email we got today at our store. I was hoping to get a copy of the email but couldn't, so I just added the totals from each store. This is across fourteen Gamestops in the Central NY, Northern NY and Burlington, VT area.

Street Fighter IV: 205
Killzone 2: 246
Halo Wars: 382
Resident Evil 5: 428
Pokemon Platinum: 102

Second from the Microsoft NPD PR response:

"The "Halo Wars" demo, released on February 5, set a day-one record for the most demo downloads on Xbox LIVE; with more than 2 million downloads in the first week, it was one of the top demo downloads of all time on the service"

Combine these factors working in its favor: Rabid 360 userbase without much too buy, the Halo name..an urge to try something different from the usual FPS.

Now I say first two month because to be fair to KZ2, it only has 1-2 days in the Feb NPD. So to give it any kind of real chance we must chose Feb+March for both games.

I do think KZ2 will have more strength in Europe, perhaps more legs and things like that. Still, outselling KZ2 for the first months in USA with Halo Wars would be a major upset for MS imo.

Around the Network

Considering the great response from the demo, the great review scores from oxm amd game informer, and considering that 10 million people bought an xbox 360 just to play Halo, its possible.

Could well happen. Halo is a much stronger franchise than KZ after all.
I foresee lots of flaming.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

It's a really really tough decision, I think we will have to wait till both games are released.

I would be shocked if it does not, this is the power of the Halo name. I do however expect a LOT of used copies in a month though, I expect a front loaded game with Halo Wars and legs for Killzone 2.

Around the Network

in USA that should be no problem - world wide might be a bit closer

Oh yeaaa...

I feel that Halo Wars is way too under-hyped compared to KZ2.

But this could happen indeed.

• If KZ2 beats HW, it is nothing special, just the logic of the market
  • if HW beats KZ2...

We will see....

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

If it happens, wrath od fanboys will be very, very fierce. Of course, normal people will be playing KZ2, or HW (or something different, everyone may play what he like), but fanboys...

But as always, they will be funny.

Its crazy to think that Sony's biggest abd baddest FPS is gonna go toe to toe with a console rts (a genre that almost always fails) and might lose. Keep in mind that Europe also doesn't like FPS games as much as the us. They are much more casual and prefer driving games and music games.

Oh yeah, in Europe all we play are driving and music games.

:s

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046