By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer Hammers Fear 2: 5/10

kramikosi said:

Fear was goty in 2005 wasnt it?:) if not, still was one of the best shooters ever made imho.

Fear 2 will go goty this year.  Fuck that reviewer, he doesnt know wtf he's talkin about. Its a fake review anyways so..

Nobody gave the original FEAR GoTY. It was very good, sure, but in the year that God of War, Shadow of The Colossus and Resident Evil 4 were released? No way in hell.

Nobody will give FEAR 2 GoTY. Nobody's given it above a 9, and with good reason. Why is this a fake review, because he didn't like the game? I'll admit 5 is a little extreme, but it's no higher than a 7.5, imo. I have only played the demo, though, which is rarely indicative of the quality of a final game, unlike some KZ2 haters seem to think (I personally loved the KZ2 demo and found the FEAR 2 demo derivative, but fairly decent)

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

It did indeed seem worse than the first one, though only slightly. And it also felt more generic. The PS3 version, on the other hand - I wouldn't call it good. I'd really say the first one was a lot better, no matter the version (unless taking into account the console ports of the first one I guess).

Oh, and Eurogamer has sucked for the whole short time I've known of it. The only good thing they have is the point scale.

Once again everyone is entitled to THEIR opinion. If they don't like a game, big deal

I actually find EuroGamer the best game reviewers next to IGN and OPM. They're unbiased, and they write good reviews. They're not suckered into hype.

Kantor said:
I actually find EuroGamer the best game reviewers next to IGN and OPM. They're unbiased, and they write good reviews. They're not suckered into hype.

Thats what I said about EDGE.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network
Shadowblind said:
Kantor said:

Thats what I said about EDGE.

Unlike Edge, EuroGamer have a semi-decent review scale, and some taste.

Ehh personally i thought Fear 1 was Overrated (ESpecially the AI). It wasn't a bad game , it was a solid 7 IMO, but still overrated

Kantor said:
kramikosi said:

Fear was goty in 2005 wasnt it?:) if not, still was one of the best shooters ever made imho.

Fear 2 will go goty this year.  Fuck that reviewer, he doesnt know wtf he's talkin about. Its a fake review anyways so..

Nobody gave the original FEAR GoTY. It was very good, sure, but in the year that God of War, Shadow of The Colossus and Resident Evil 4 were released? No way in hell.

Nobody will give FEAR 2 GoTY. Nobody's given it above a 9, and with good reason. Why is this a fake review, because he didn't like the game? I'll admit 5 is a little extreme, but it's no higher than a 7.5, imo. I have only played the demo, though, which is rarely indicative of the quality of a final game, unlike some KZ2 haters seem to think (I personally loved the KZ2 demo and found the FEAR 2 demo derivative, but fairly decent)

Gamespy gave FEAr game of the year in 2005. Gamespot and Spike awards gave it shooter of the year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.E.A.R.#Reception

Also, I am not a Killzone hater...but I have watched many videos. I've never been a fan of Call of Duty and I prefer frag fests and arcade style shooters more. This should explain why I look forward to playing FEAR 2 2 more than Killzone 2 even if I didn't play the Killzone 2 demo.

The graphics and shooting mechanics were pretty good. But I hated the scary parts in between which gave me a headache (The flickering lights and gross monster sounds and all the blood) To me it just felt like a mix of a tactical shooter with something like SilentHill or Condemned. And that just didn't go well. I played the first one and never liked it and this one felt more of the same. Well I guess I am not a fan of horror games that try to scare you with flickering lights and godawful irritating monster moans (why the hell does my flashlight have to flicker too?) If I could rate just the shooter part, I would give it an 8/10 but the stupid horror sections in between made it a 4/10 so I my average score would be 6/10

@disolitude thanks for bringing in Killzone 2 into this discussion. Yet more negative posts from you about a PS3 game and you haven't even played the demo yet!

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees

I'd say the scary parts were what kept the first game interesting. Everything else became so routine and boring (heck, even ghosts walking by doorways got boring). I wonder how the second one will be with the scares, I didn't get too freaked out when playing the demo. I was expecting appearances from Alma so when she did do something, I was like "Oh cr...... oh there she is"

I do agree about the flickering lights, my eyes hurt and I don't feel well when games overdo that stuff.