By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You guys who have been gaming since the 3rd/4th generations (or even before them)...

Its impossible to relate now to then...

For one third gen I was seven and the video games although simple could be totally mastered and were designed to play endlessly.

Pitfall. Space Invaders. Asteroids.

Now the games are immersive but I am less readily impressed. Also the improvement in graphics removes a lot of the imagination required to make certain titles come to life.

Basically I grew up. Maybe a young kid playing today will have the same amount of joy from playing his first video games as I did in the seventies.

For me. Time is short now a days and I have to take my gaming in snatches.

Around the Network

I started playing back in the NES days. last generation I had all three sytems and quite frankly it was starting to get old. I'm not saying I did'nt enjoy games, there just was'nt anything new about them. Now with the wii out I'm back on a gaming binge. When motion controls aren't over used and are implemented right it makes things for OG's (Old school gamers) like myself feel fresh, and when I'm feeling nostalgic I just throw on some VC games and reminisce.

Wichdog69

NiKKoM said:
Dodece said:
Nostalgia has a horrible habit of erasing the truth. That being that in some way those days were better then these days. Rest assured that is not the truth. In fact modern games have a higher level of quality, and we as gamers would not tolerate the crap that was pulled on us back then. We would not tolerate bad controls, or the old trial and error gauntlet we were forced to endure. The games were not engaging as much as they were mind numbingly repetitive. Do not confuse being induced into a zen like state as the same as having fun. Yes they are both relaxing, but one is about sincere joy. The other is about having a sense of nothingness.

Game design was all about the cheap. How can they make a player run through a level a dozen or more times. Not necessarily, because it was fun to do so, but because they set it up so the player had to die a dozen times to get through. Also let us not forget the glories of the pitfall. Another classic technique to have you wasting valuable time, and growing more frustrated by the minute. Remember this fun. You had to sit on the edge of a platform exactly right to make that jump. Just a little off, and you plummet to your death. How about blindsiding. Forcing you to play from the end of a screen only let things come from that side, and smack you with no notice. Oh well now you know where that will come from next game.

Think about that when your playing a modern game. Would you not be irate. You probably couldn't conceive that it was intentional. You would toss your controller down in disgust. Foam at the mouth. Curse at that cheating game, and the bullshit it is pulling on you. You might rip the game out, and snap it in two, or toss it to the side, and be upset. Probably pissed at yourself for being stuck with a game that is the spawn of Satan.

Yes I bet you guys forgot all about that. The broken controllers, the hit console, that cart you smashed into a million pieces. I bet you all forgot about the frustrations, and how obscenely pissed you were at the time. I also would wager that it doesn't seem like that anymore either. Here is a hint as to why. Your family was wrong yes you were actually being cheated on. The developers really were screwing with you, because they knew if you beat their game in four hours you would realize it wasn't worth fifty dollars.

Today they do not get away with that shit. That is why your not seven flavors of frustrated. They pull that kind of shit, and they will be crucified. No your not allowed to blindside players anymore. Your not allowed to tweak evil jumps. No your not allowed to have a eight hour game with no save points. No to all the shitty tricks that made you blow fifty hours of time on a game that is five hours long.

That is what is missing from your nostalgia. Your just remembering the feeling of accomplishment, or the awe you felt. You have completely forgotten that the damned game play was cheap, and you spent half your time frustrated rerunning the same shit all over again, because a coder ambushed you with something you could do nothing about. It is easy not to be pissed when it is your fault. God what I did was pretty stupid. However if it isn't your fault then yeah you have a right to feel violated. It was not hard you just got hit by a cheap.

So... I guess you didn't beat BattleToads? :P

Lol, yah BattleToads was a bitch, but it was great, actually I would love to see them make a wii version of that.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Yes, I have fun gaming on games from any system. As long as I like them, I'll play them. Donkey Kong Country, anyone?

Absolutely!!!! In fact, I love it more! I don't think I will ever give up gaming! It is my main hobby that I love! ^_^

Around the Network

Nothing is as good as when I was a kid. But unlike many other things I've enjoyed in my life, videogames have not remained static. I would say that in spite of the way that games have improved over the years, that no, I don't have as much fun as I used to. I've been gaming since 1981, and my first console was the ColecoVision, bought in 83'. I still have it.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Well i have been gaming since the spectrum days, but as far as i can say, i still have as much fun as i did back then. It gets different at each generation, because the main target groups change at each one. I remember bringing a lot of friends to my house back in the snes/genesis days to play hours and hours of MKII, DKC2, Stunt Race FX, Sonic 2, etc etc, and now almost every game played with a couple of friends is done through online matchmaking.
But in terms of nostalgia, nothing can beat those old games :) I still play them a lot, actually i'm just replaying the entire Dragon Quest Series, and a month ago, finished the Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma trilogy, even though i also play on my 360/ps3/wii, it's just not the same as those old school games xD

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

@Dodece: If you mean by "real skill" that you have the patience to sit through a game, i do agree.

The problems exist anyway. Or are you trying to point out that they don't know how to make games these days.

Games today use the excact same methods to create challenge as they did 20 years ago. Difference is, that todays games have "energy" instead of "lives". Basically the energy and refills make sure that you don't easilly die in the game.
The challenge is created by some random guy jumping out of nowhere by surprise, adding the number of enemies, making enemies resist more damage, making them move faster, having them do more damage, having a "hot spot" that is the only spot you can cause damage, then there's the seemingly random "AI" element, which is only a couple algorithms how the enemies behave under indirect fire, when the battle "AI" is still the same that bases itself in waiting a certain amount of time between actions.

Doing something new is often to repeate the games generic levels, with a random "side mission" in between.

Point of the games isn't to make a game to last as long as possible, but to get the people who play the games to enjoy the game as much as possible. As an example, i've propably used as much time to Super Mario Bros as you said you did to games you mentioned.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

All depends on the game. On my X360? No. On my Wii? Depending on the game, yeah. I had pretty much the same level of fun with Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Princess and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. On my X360, sure, I had fun with GTAIV(probably my most enjoyed title on the system), but not "omgwtfepic-fun".

Yea, games are games. Times are different so one main thing to keep in mind when producing a game is to keep the fun factor and how to apply it to current generation systems. Since the technology has been better than the technology back then, many genre's have been changed/updated since back then. The FPS genre is a good example, as well as Action games.