By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You guys who have been gaming since the 3rd/4th generations (or even before them)...

Most of games are crap today. Even if I try games from 90's that I haven't played they are far better than these stupid games for stupid masses. Yes, most... Some indie games still have the same spirit as games from 90's and before.

Gamer since 86...

Around the Network

Am i having fun? Yes. Am I having as much fun as I used to? No but, game

quality isn't the only factor why. I'm older, have less time and a million other

things going on now. That i can still say I am happy playing after all these years

is more than enough for me and probably anyone else who has been around

long enough to answer this post.

@JGarret: Only the games of today can make you miss Final Fight.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

I'm of the opinion that the current generation and the last generation kick the living dog Hell out of generation three and four.

At the end of the 6th gen, gaming was starting to get boring, as I didn't really have friends to play with any more, and faceless people on the internet is kind of lame. The Wii with games like Wii Sports, Mario Kart Wii, and Shuan White Snowboarding: Road Trip have really brought the fun back to gaming. Especially since I can get my wife into playing those kinds of games with me.

I still love more traditional games, but games that really use the Wii Remote, nunchuck and/or balance board in unique and well implemented ways really bring that wow factor. Heck, I even got my mother to play Shaun White with me last week.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

i put it down to me being a kid then as to why i liked it more. but saying that nothing beats a good old bomber man and sonic

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

I first started gaming in 94 on the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis.
I still very much enjoy my video games although I do feel I enjoyed them a tad more when I was 10. Having said that it's not surprising considering it was all new to me back then.

My first game was Sonic the Hedgehog 3 which I loved.

Most games, no. Coming from the Intellivision, Coleco as my starting days. I found the NES and SNES era to be the most entertaining. Part of this is that gameplay doesn't improve with 3d graphics, but we often see the same game with a 3d coating and maybe an added Z vector.

Last game I really enjoyed was World of Goo.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

I had a Sega Genesis/Sega CD and a buddy of mine had the SNES; this was early college for me so many nights were spent drinking and playing the game of the week in the dorms, followed by sorority girl visits....good times. Well until someones girlfriend shows up unexpectedly...ouch!

Anyway, I have much less time than I have in the past to play now, but I'd guess that I feel the time I do get to spend is quality. I love a lot of current gen games...

On a related note, this is the first gen I don't own all major consoles this far into the gen...ONLY because I don't have the time. How sad.

JGarret said:

...do you still have as much fun playing games as you did way back then?

Personally, I don´t....I mean, yeah I still like my current gen games, but when it comes to fun, nothing beats the 3rd and 4th gens (NES/SNES/GENESIS)...in my opinion at least...yeah, my opinion´s heavy with a mix of nostalgia and the fact gaming was a new exciting thing for me (people who started gaming in recent generations will probably feel the same way about them, and might even think 2D gaming "sucks")....anyway, that´s the way it is.

Oh well, how´s your gaming fun-o-meter nowadays?

I'm really picky about my games, but I have found out that I can now enjoy games that I usually don't like (like FPS).

I think it's partly because of the addition of achievements / trophies.  It gives me the edge needed to keep playing, and eventually it gave me some sort of "I can actually play FPS without getting shot in the face every two seconds (I manage to survive some 4 seconds now >_>)".

Aside from that, I'm also now more intrigued by some smaller titles, which does in fact help (I can't help but feel all grinny and funny inside when thinking about the game Pain - which I don't have yet - and the fun that Fat Princess should bring) my gaming needs. 

Bring in the big guns (no matter how you look at it, we get quite an insane amount of high quality titles) and there's plenty to enjoy myself with.  The only "problem" I usually have with current titles, is that they often think that a 4 - 8 hour campaign can suffice.  That's not enough, not even for a shooter.  (an RPG that goes below 20 to 30 hours is laughable as well).