By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You guys who have been gaming since the 3rd/4th generations (or even before them)...

While I don't have as much fun as I used to. It is not because of the quality of games out right now it is because I am much older.

Around the Network

I have a lot of nostalgia for the SNES in particular, but I reckon I have about as much fun now as I did then. My only gripes are that (1) JRPGs have gotten worse on the whole and (2) brown and grey shooters have replaced colorful beat 'em ups and platformers as the go-to genre.

Life is very short my friend, I could type an entire book for you about how I've seen video games change or evolve; whatever... I am in the end saddened and blame only myself for my current state of mind as far as gaming is concerned.

I do enjoy Monster Hunter a lot though, even without a level up system there is a sense of progression, but I can only beat up a Kut-Ku so many times, I've grown up, friends, women, kids and family to an extent, my other hobbies are all calling me - playing games is honestly just me trying to hold on to where I came from.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

depends on the game, but I seem to enjoy a wide variety still. The only thing that's changed is my free time to play, its become less.

Damn... I don't know... I just don't have the time to play games anymore.. you know.. girlfriend, work, friends, family, oher stuff >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> games.... Do have the money to buy every game and console now but still.. I play the most on my old dreamcast & DS... just an hour or 2 the entire week... and sometimes to look at menu interfaces for work... I guess I out-grown videogames...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

Back in the Nintendo and SNES days, back when online multiplayer didn't exist besides on PCs, gaming was much more fun. The reason, I've deduced, is because back then I played the games for fun..there wasn't really much there in terms of competition - yeah you had your friends to play with or against, but the majority of the multiplayer games were co-op, so you weren't really competing as much as helping each other out. Now, I play majority multiplayer games..and I'm so worried about being better than the next person that it's less of an enjoyment and more of a chore, I guess. Even the single player only games like Uncharted aren't as fun as they would have been when I was younger because now all I can worry about is being able to say I beat the game on the hardest difficulty instead of playing on, say, normal difficulty and just enjoying the game.

*edit* I'm not saying I don't have fun playing games anymore, because I do.  It's fun to play online with my friends on XBOX Live and everything, but a few of my friends are super-competitive to where if they have one bad game, they get pissed off and quit - even mid-match..then I get aggravated and it kind of ruins the vibe.  There are times when we can all play Call of Duty 4 for a few hours and just have a blast, and that's the only time that I really feel the same enjoyment that I used to.  Unfortunately, it doesn't happen much anymore.  Also, as much as I'm not the biggest fan of Rock Band-esque games, playing them with my friends can also be pretty fun when we're all sitting there joking around and just not taking it too seriously.

"brown and grey shooters have replaced colorful beat 'em ups and platformers as the go-to genre."

I feel you there, bro....I really miss games like Final Fight, TMNT IV:Turtles in Time, DKC, Actraiser, etc..

I think games were a lot of fun then but I think a lot of games are fun today as well. One difference though is that graphics are such a focus point and it seems that playability and just fun can pushed aside. It's easier to sell graphics since that's the first thing we see. You can only "see" the fun if you buy or rent the game.

Another thing for me personally is that when I was younger, everyone I knew gamed a lot in their freetime. Now, everybody has different schedules and very few of my friends devote a lot of time to play or have lost interest. Gaming was always best when playing with friends.

I'll come up with something better eventually...

I have to say that maybe due to nostalgia, that the SNES era was the golden age of videogames to me.

Well, for JRPG's, I have no doubt at all.

But there still are games nowadays that get me really excited.

www.jamesvandermemes.com

I still love gaming as much as i did when i started (3rd gen for me) but games don't give me the same feeling as they used to, heck me and my mates play streetfighter 2 hd on a regular basis and have more fun than if we play gears co-op or some other current gen game.

Also i'm tired of the ignorance of people who come from the "sony gen". A friend of mine who is 5 years younger than us refuses to play the afforementioned sf2hd because he says it's old and it sucks but thinks kane and lynch is the greatest game ever, i mean wtf, sony gen gamers generally, and i don't mean all sony gen gamers of course, can't appreciate the classics and funnily enough they're also the most vocal about speaking out against the wii and ds.

rant over.

nintendo and sega fan since i was old enough to hold a game controller.

note: my games collection on my profile is only 20ish% complete, i've got a boatload of 360,saturn and dreamcast games to add and a few ps3 games, thanks :)