By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Update on Big PS3 Exclusive Today

Staude said:
Kantor said:
^I hope not. Waste of an announcement.

God of War > God of War clone.

Dude.. Heavenly sword was so fucking awesome. Damn cinematic and the best use of the sixaxis in any game ever. It holds it's own. I'd rather have a heavenly sword 2 than most other games in the genre. It was damn good. And not a god of war clone. If you have played it you should know.

This.

<3 Kai

Around the Network

Supposed to announce it at 6 (East Coast Time) on his blog...

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

makingmusic476 said:
Staude said:
Kantor said:

Dude.. Heavenly sword was so fucking awesome. Damn cinematic and the best use of the sixaxis in any game ever. It holds it's own. I'd rather have a heavenly sword 2 than most other games in the genre. It was damn good. And not a god of war clone. If you have played it you should know.

This.

<3 Kai

Am I the only one who kinda likes the story and gameplay of heavenly Sword more then GOW's? Not saying GOW's sucks, I just prefer the grand acting and lush combos of HS.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

forevercloud3000 said:
Am I the only one who kinda likes the story and gameplay of heavenly Sword more then GOW's? Not saying GOW's sucks, I just prefer the grand acting and lush combos of HS.

Yes, you're probably the only one. 

@forever cloud

yup your the only one

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Staude said:
Kantor said:

This.

<3 Kai

I've never played Heavenly Sword but i'd probably agree with you...

as I thought God of War was just outright horrible storywise... it's understanding of greek mythology looks like it was created by someone who studied it by watching a box set of of "Hercules: The Legendary Journies."

"Hey what if instead of Hercules and Kevin Sorbo it was Vin Diesal... he could be a Spartan.  They're always on the history channel.  They're bad ass."

They took a melodramatic, poor story and tacked it on to greek mythology forcing their gods in rolls that didn't really fit just so their game would have some credibility.

Kinda like Too Human.

It's Uncharted.

http://bloodworthgt.gametrailers.com/gamepad/index.php?action=viewblog&id=427733

Uncharted 2 Mega Blog
Posted Feb 3, 2009 6:00 pm
[+45]
[Report to an admin]
Yesterday I had the privilege to head over to Naughty Dog to get a good look at Uncharted 2, and to my surprise their offices are literally right across the street from GameTrailers. They gave an hour and a half presentation covering just about every aspect of the game. It was mostly talking and power point, but they did play through a small section and show us some behind-the-scenes footage that may not ever be made available to the public. I did an interview with one of the directors there, but we weren’t allowed to shoot anything else so welcome to my mega-blog.

[uc28]

Story/Setup

They didn’t specify how long the sequel takes place after the first game, but Nathan is out on another adventure and this time around players are going to see a bit more of the shady side of his character. The legend in this case revolves around Marco Polo’s lost fleet. In history, Marco Polo left China with a fleet of 14 ships, but when he arrived in Persia, only one ship with eighteen survivors remained. The game apparently starts out in a museum where Drake lifts an artifact that sets him on Marco Polo’s trail, eventually leading him to a swamp in the South Pacific, then to Nepal and the Himalayas in the search for Shambala and the legendary Cintamani Stone – a huge sapphire possibly worth billions.

Naughty Dog hints at a much larger cast of characters, but so far we only know of Sully and Drake’s new partner/girlfriend Chloe Frazer. She’s come back from farther in Drake’s past, she’s Australian, and she’s in every way equal or better than Nathan – but more flashy and impulsive. In one cut-scene, Drake was behind cover trying to defend himself from some guards and a truck-mounted turret, and Chloe shows up with a rocket launcher, blasting them out of the road in one shot.

[uc21]

Gameplay Demo

The small section of gameplay they showed was in Nepal City, the same area seen in recent screen shots. The city is about 1/4 of the way through the game and it’s in the midst of civil war with ravaged buildings and burning vehicles. Nathan tries to sneak into the city by pretending to be a reporter, but when the guards get suspicious, he busts through the gate.

The beginning of the demo opens with a bunch of soldiers searching for Nathan, only to soon be run over by a runaway bus. The wrecked bus blocks the street, forcing Nathan to climb across some crumbling buildings, using shop signs and street lights to traverse and narrowly avoids impaling himself on some exposed rebar.

The developers then used this opportunity to show off some of the game’s expanded stealth gameplay – what they’re calling action-stealth since they don’t want the pacing to get slowed down. They hung just below one guy waiting for the right moment to grab and toss him off the side of a building. Then back on ground level they snuck up behind another soldier standing in a doorway, grabbed him and knocked him out on the brick wall. Stealth kills can apparently net you more grenades or better weapons in the right situations, and using cover keeps you safe from soldiers’ line of sight as well as bullets.

The other big gameplay feature that they talked about but didn’t really show is traversal gunplay – which basically means that Drake can now shoot back when he’s climbing on walls. They even talked about being able to hang from a sign on the side of a building, using it for cover, and peeking out over the top to fire.

They’re aiming for a much broader range of enemies and AI behaviors. Some enemies carry big shields, which you can also pick up for portable cover if you take them down. Soldiers will also hunt for Nathan and follow him to his last seen location if you try to run away, sounding like something you’d expect from Metal Gear or Assassin’s Creed.

[uc29]

Tech/Art

Unknown to many, one of Naughty Dog’s teams actually works full-time on tech for PS3 developers to get the most out of the system, giving the developer a bit of an advantage. They estimate that in the first Uncharted, they were only utilizing the SPUs to about 30% but now they’re actually running them at 100% which gives them a lot more processing power to work with.

In the first game, they used two different character models for cut-scenes and gameplay, but now they have the same character model for both. They also proved to us that the scene in the VGA trailer was indeed real time, showing us the scene again and moving the camera around inside and outside of the train in 3D space.

There are more interactive items in the environment, more animations for Drake for different situations (walking across the moving train, etc.), and new shaders for things like snow, ice, and fur (Nathan will be getting a coat to keep him warm). It sounds like they want the snow and ice to be just as impressive as the water was in the first game and they’re working on effects for footprints, sparkling, and translucence.

The art team is obsessively gathering references for all the different environments and thinking through back-stories for the use of every room in the game. One artist even ran to a house that caught on fire and asked the owner if he could take pictures for reference.

[uc22]

Acting

One thing I came away really respecting about Naughty Dog is their approach to character performances, treating it just like a film shoot. It’s no secret that most video game dialogue is done with one actor at a time, reading scripts in a sound booth. But for Uncharted 2, Naughty Dog is bringing the actors to a motion capture studio, capturing their movements and dialogue simultaneously and getting the actors interacting with each other. They showed off audition tapes for Chloe’s actress and the biggest reason they chose her for the role was her natural chemistry with Nathan. And their improvisations and body language are making big improvements to the depth of the characters in each scene.

[uc23]

Out on a Limb

That’s about all there is to tell, but I think Naughty Dog is holding on to some secrets. With all this talk of Chloe being “Nathan’s equal in every way,” I can’t help but think that they’re leading up to an announcement about co-op gameplay – or at the least, you’ll play as Chloe at some point. I didn’t get any straight answers when I asked, but I think it’s a likely possibility. In any case, the game is looking great so far and I’m looking forward to playing it this fall.

We'll also have a two-part interview up later today.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Nothing too exciting, not much new there, I just want some more footage of the game!!! I want to see some gameplay!

I was really hoping it would be an announcement for Uncharted 2! :) That is my most hyped game behind Killzone 2. Uncharted was one of the greatest games I've ever played, let alone this gen. I loved everything about it. The visuals, the story, the characters, the gameplay. It was like playing Indiana Jones but somehow maybe even better.

PS3 Trophies

Kasz216 said:
forevercloud3000 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Staude said:
Kantor said:

This.

<3 Kai

I've never played Heavenly Sword but i'd probably agree with you...

as I thought God of War was just outright horrible storywise... it's understanding of greek mythology looks like it was created by someone who studied it by watching a box set of of "Hercules: The Legendary Journies."

"Hey what if instead of Hercules and Kevin Sorbo it was Vin Diesal... he could be a Spartan.  They're always on the history channel.  They're bad ass."

They took a melodramatic, poor story and tacked it on to greek mythology forcing their gods in rolls that didn't really fit just so their game would have some credibility.

Kinda like Too Human.

I would reccomend you play through it. It's a lot of fun, but very short. If you can rent games, I'd do it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.