By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Megaton: Wii Sports is NOT the highest selling game ever! Not even close.

That's the combined sales of the game and all the expansions

I'm not a hardcore gamer.  I'm not a casual gamer.  I'm a gamer.

Around the Network

Yes, it does count expansions, good point...

But..but..Wii Sports was bundled!

I suppose Pokemon Red is the best selling video game of all time? It says that here: http://www.gunslot.com/blog/top-twenty-five-25-best-selling-video-games-all-time

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

The key word here is sold.

Wii Sports has "sold" the most copies.
In retail terms, even if it's bundled, it is still an item sold, idea is it is part of the cost factored into the Wii's $249 price tag.

According to this Bejewled only SOLD about 24 million. the number of times something is downloaded is ambiguous. Especially when that number could very well include drop-offs and disconnects. i.e. if someone has to try 5 times to get it than that counts as five downlods because the servers were requested 5 times. ... welll I think I'll just leave it at that.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

I choose to ignore this

Hold on, wtf?

Wait. Okay, let's forget the fact that the OP was shot down for a second.

Did anyone actually believe this Bejeweled game sold 100mil+ copies? Honestly, I've never even heard of the game until recently (when these best selling game threads started) - a game that can sell that much would definitely not slip under everyone's radar.

It's like - "Oh, by the way, this game you've never heard of sold hundreds of millions of copies!" 100mil+ copies, we're talking Harry Potter book sales here.

edit: Not saying the game was unknown to everyone, but it's a little ridiculous thinking it could sneak up to 100mil+ sales with nobody writing about it.

Around the Network

Solitare for the win!

4 ≈ One

Yugemos said:
Strategyking92 said:
Did you know Hexic HD has sold as many copies as there are xbox 360's out there? It'll pass mario soon enough also!!! Yeah!!

Nope.  Not bundled with core/arcade.

I did not know that.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Ohhh thats how I got Hexic HD. I was wondering about that.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

c0rd said:

Hold on, wtf?

Wait. Okay, let's forget the fact that the OP was shot down for a second.

Did anyone actually believe this Bejeweled game sold 100mil+ copies? Honestly, I've never even heard of the game until recently (when these best selling game threads started) - a game that can sell that much would definitely not slip under everyone's radar.

It's like - "Oh, by the way, this game you've never heard of sold hundreds of millions of copies!" 100mil+ copies, we're talking Harry Potter book sales here.

edit: Not saying the game was unknown to everyone, but it's a little ridiculous thinking it could sneak up to 100mil+ sales with nobody writing about it.

The game's about five years old, with the height of its popularity being three or four years ago. Everyone knew it for a while, but it's sort of passed out of the public consciousness since then.

3 points I have to make. Nintendo didn't say Wii fit is the best selling Wii or nintendo game, they spoke generally in terms of sale.
Secondly, Bejeweled has been sold over last few years on pcs, smart phones, iPhones, itouches, xboxs and now psn.
Third and last point, at such a low price, whether bundled or not, it is very much possible to sell high figures. Add the total number of of users, mac users, 360 users, iPhone users, smart phone users and itouch users. This will give you a decent idea of how many potential buyers they have.

If nintendo said Wii fit was the best selling nintendo or Wii game, they would be correct, otherwise they are wrong. I am sure other games out there have also sold well past the 10 million mark because they are cheap and accessible through several platforms.