By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Megaton: Wii Sports is NOT the highest selling game ever! Not even close.

@thanny

I know you think you found a loophole. However I was not including other variants or versions in my analysis. The original version is still the most popular by far, and is still sold unadulterated to this very day. There is basically no need to lump, and were I to have presented it in lump, as you fondly pointed out with all the version you own. Well we would be looking at a number in excess of a billion.

Regardless for Tetris, and including variants other titles rocket to the top of the list. Such as Pacman, Gallaga, Pong, Monopoly, and Oregon Trail. Damn you Dysentery damn you to hell. Oregon Trail by the way was sold as educational software, and as far as I know still is. It really is a awesome game if you haven't played it you should make it a point to do so. There is currently a version for mobile phones. So if your service has it you should play it.

Basically do not underestimate the old classics. They still sell many copies today, and have sold well for decades. So they have had ample time to create a large number of sales. Perhaps one day the current games you are fighting about may enjoy the same fate. The tragedy is they have not been adequately tracked, because frankly a lot of them came out before tracking, and nobody actively bothers to track them today.

Around the Network

If this wasn't Wii Sports, but, oh, MGS4 that had surpassed Super Mario Bros., I have an idea that no one would be bringing up Solitaire to try to invalidate the milestone.

And, if Solitaire counts, then does that mean that the PS2 *didn't* win last gen? That PC did (again)?

If we're counting consoles, we're counting console games.

i think monopoly has sold most games,

if you count all the physical board games, online, console, handheld versions of the game.

but for CONSOLE games Wii Sports is the winner atm. so get over it people.

Dodece,

the Problem is that Tetris the game may have sold a bunch and I agree if you add up all versions it is a lot as you say.

The question is who makes those games.

Nintendo-makes a killing from Tetris
Tengen- Made a nice profit(I liked there version of tetris)
THQ
BPS
Capcom
Seta
Sega
Vangard
Tons of Free Ware versions out there
A bunch of releases from smaller computer companies.

So there is not one single company or even a few small companies that Bring about a massive succes for Tetris or reaps the benefits of said game. Even the original people who designed the game do not get benefits from the sale.

In that respect it is a free for all and would be like saying that Golden Axe sold 10 million if the SMS version designed by Sega sold 8 million and the NES version designed by Tengen with no license fees to Sega sold 2 million.

Finally Bejeweled also suffers a similiar fate as well. there are many freeware versions out there by different people/companies. It came bundled with Everquest(to do something while you sat and healed or waited for party members). It was also available on the Sega Genesis.

Didn't I read somewhere that WoW has it now?

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Around the Network

Damn, some people just like to live in denial... and im not just talking about the OP

Khuutra said:
coolestguyever said:
Wait a minute isn't GTA San Andreas for PS2 the best selling game ever? Oh wait, my mistake your counting BUNDLES.

Nah - Wii Play is.

wii play is bundled with a controller.

Check out my game about moles ^

Staude said:
Khuutra said:
coolestguyever said:
Wait a minute isn't GTA San Andreas for PS2 the best selling game ever? Oh wait, my mistake your counting BUNDLES.

Nah - Wii Play is.

wii play is bundled with a controller.

GTA4 is bundled with a manual, and my copy came with 1 month of free Xbox live.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Haha. If they use those arguments, they ought to push out solitaire as the best selling game ever.

Hell, they ought to count the number of card decks that have been sold worldwide as evidence!

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Wait people bought wii sports? I'm confused.