By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which are the worst/most disappointing games you've played, and why?

Halo
Final Fantasy 12
Metal Gear Solid 2
Chrono Cross

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network

It's interesting Fazz said FFVII was a let down after the previous installment. I would have to say FFVIII was a let down after VII, never played VI by the way. It's still a good game, it just didn't grab me in the way VII did, in fact it did pretty much nothing for me, so that was definatley a disappointment.

Perfect Dark Zero was as soon as I heard it was coming out on a Microsoft platform, which I didn't have, although I understand it's not so great anyway.

Chrono Cross was a huge disappointment for me. The game would have been fine by me if it wasn't marketed as the next installement of Chrono Trigger. Chrono Trigger had few characters that were each fun and unique, Cross had like 30 of them which I didn't care for one bit. And no dual , triple tech what's the matter with that! Plus the original characters were mentionned just once at the end of the storyline which really didn't help me connect Chrono Cross with Trigger.

Signature goes here!

E.T.

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

FFVII: Not only is this the most overrated game in history, it RUINED the FF series. I think that this game's disturbing popularity springs from the sheer number of NEW players on the PS1. FF [and video games in general] was always kind of a large cult, so when the mass market FFVII came out on the mass market PS1, it was a LOT of people's first serious RPG, or first exposure to the FF series. Some of those who had lovingly played the originals [a few of us had even gone to the trouble of playing emulated translations of 2, 3, & 5] were very dissapointed. FFIV & FFVI [and even FFV] had better story, setting, characters, and gameplay. FFVII had the graphics and lots of CG, which impressed the crap out of new players, but left many longtimers feeling . . . meh.

Now, lots of people like FFVII, and I'm willing to bet that there are many who were lifelong players who think that VII is the best game in history. But, I'm also willing to bet that there are a large number of people who are not so high in FFVII that will say they played FFIV and/or FFVI first, and enjoyed it a lot more.

Around the Network

DOOM 3 the game is nice the rest is old and no story and the 10 sec video at the end pissed me off
MGS never liked stealth, and never liked the humor in that game...

Harry Potter 2 for the PSone ... though Im not a huge fan , the first one was a pretty good 3D platformer ... but the second game was the worst games I had ever played .

A big dissapointment for me was Crash 4 . One of my all time favorite game is Crash 3 Warped , and when I played that slow rubish , with the same graphics on a batter console , I nearly cryed :P

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

wow, you guys are naming a lot of really good games I have a hard time to agree on almost any of those. Most of the problems with those are people just having the wrong expectations, although i will agree with doom 3 and true trime.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

doom 3 came out to late.... it was outdated by the time it came out... and the story was shit....sorry not shit.... their was no story what so ever....

for MGS in my case it's just about stealth that I don't like and when people got all crazy about the game I thought it would be great but still didn't like it....i don't really like splinter cell either... it's just I wasn't expecting anything from it after MGS.... convinction looks interesting though.... it might be the first stealth game i'll like

i could have add all the "real" war FPS i'm not a big fan either of that kind of game...

It's easy to come up with a list of "worst" games; just find any one of a number of shovelware games. You know, the kind of games bought by clueless grandparents who don't understand video games. For example, I received a game called "Bart and the Beanstalk" for the original Gameboy many years ago; it was a Simpsons retelling of the Jack and the Beanstalk legend (yeah... it was just as good as it sounds...) Poor gameplay, bizarre level design, horrendous collision detection and controls - you get the idea. These games are not hard to find.

For a game to rank highly in terms of disappointment is a bit different. You need to have a game that was highly anticipated before it came out, not simply some drivel shovelware. It shouldn't be a surprise therefore to see some high-profile games on this list, as the disappointment is relative to the expectations ahead of time.

My biggest such game was the PC title Master of Orion 3. Now the original Master of Orion is an absolute classic, and one of the best turn-based strategy games of all time. The sequel was still decent, if not so good, and after years of delays, the third installment finally came out in 2003. Heck, IGN even gave the game a 9.2 in its review - a NINE! The game HAD to be good, right?

Well, it turned out to be an unplayable pile of doodoo. The interface was unbelievably complicated, documentation was poor or non-existant, the manual was garbage (telling mostly the "backstory" of the galaxy instead of telling you how to play!), the graphics looked like something out of 1996, the AIs were all insane idiots, and the game literally would play itself without you doing anything. You could click "next turn" 100 times, and the game would settle new colonies, research technologies, fight battles, and actually win the game without your lifting a finger. It was about as much fun as using a spreadsheet. Master of Orion 3 is one of the all-time stinkers, right up there with Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever (if not as well known).

I still can't believe I paid $50 for that pile of garbade. Morale of the story: I've never trusted any IGN reviews ever since (Metacritic score is 64, user rating 4.3). Because either their reviewer was a complete moron, or he was paid off, and either way I'm not trusting them again!

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)