By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which are the worst/most disappointing games you've played, and why?

Most disappointing? FFVII no competition. I was so excited about it. At the time FFVI and Chrono Trigger were my 2 favorite games of all time. I literally bought my PSone just to play it. After 3 years of no Final Fantasy, I popped in VII, ready to be blown away... I'll never forget that moment as the moment Final Fantasy died.

My glorious fantasy RPG was gone. In it's place? Some sci-fi bullshit. The colorful characters with great personalities like Terra and Kefka were replaced by emotionless "cool" characters like Cloud and Sephiroth. The detailed and expressive sprite were replaced by... Legos??? When a 2D sprite can express 100 times more emotion than a 3D rendering you have a problem.

My engaging story? Gone, replaced by a shallow (and often misinterpreted story) about a genetically engineered super soldier who wants the power of the "life force." It was cheesy, overdone (even in the 90s), and completely ridiculous. The best character in the game, Aeris, was killed off (BY JENOVA, NOT SEPHIROTH), and for the rest of the game I really felt like I was forcing myself to play it. Of course the midi music and the bland colors that were spread throughout the game did nothing to hold my interest more. I bought a PSone for that game, and it made me want to kill Square. FFVIII did nothing to remedy that, and FFIX gave me a short reprieve, but it was way too easy. Now we have FFXIII on the way where Shiva is a f***ing motorcycle. I'm done Square, and you guys can go to hell for what you did to that series. Please for the love of god don't do it to Dragon Quest.

Worst game I have ever played? Superman 64. Does that really need an explanation?

Around the Network

HAHAH Flow is a hater!
In Resident evil 4 you cannot see everything on screen there could be zombies 2 inches from your ass and you wouldnt know till they took a chunk out of it.
Plus the first time i ran into the chainsaw dude in the middle of the night with the light off?

OH SNAP !!!!!!!!

OMG we got some haters in the building tonight!!!!!!!!!

To me the any "Mana" game after Secret of Mana is a huge dissapointment and shame on square-e for allowing this to happen.
SHAME ON YOU SQUARE BEAR.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Castlevania (N64) - not much to say about it other than I thought it was horrible.

Unreal Tournament 2003 (PC) - I was a huge Unreal Tournament fan and was disappointed at the changes they made to the game.

Doom 3 (PC/Xbox) - Boring story, repetitive gameplay, and the darkness making it nearly impossible to enjoy the game.

Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness (PC/PS3) - I really enjoyed the original Tomb Raider and even the sequels pre Angel of Darkness, so I was really disappointed after all the hype they gave for the game.

Deus Ex 2 (PC/Xbox) - I guess I never gave the game a chance (maybe I should go back and try it again) but I thought it seemed really poor compared to the incredible original.

I dunno that I could name my worst... that would probably some crappy game for NES

As for most dissapointing would be Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Mainly because the originals for nes,snes, and gba were all badass and hard. I got really upset with Ocarina of Time when I figured out I was almost at gannon and only died once It was just way too easy. Was a great game, but dissapointing because I expect the puzzles and secrets of zelda but it should also be difficult. Oh well....

"the originals for nes,snes, and gba were all badass and hard."

ROFL,badass.

Ocarina of time,to me,was 1000 times harder than then Zelda 1

For me,the transition of 3'd games was not a smooth one, besides Mario64..
So i'd got lost alot in Zelda Oot.(even though that map was on the top right) sad.

But obviously now a days i've adapted.

I remember I didn't even know how to hold a 64 controller,back in the day. My older bro was like,"No, like this."

heheh

MynameisGARY

Around the Network

Chrono Cross
- How do you ruin the best RPG of all time. Here's how. 

Resident Evil: Code Veronica
- What happens when you let Sega's dev teams make a Resident Evil Game, well, you get this. Blurring the lines between Science-Fiction and Fantasy with a plethora of new hyper-unrealistic B.O.W.s that didn't need to be introduced, this game reminds us that simply letting an idea snowball doesn't necessaraly benefit the franchise. The only good thing that came out of this Metal Gear Solid game play wannabe was Wesker's return.

Devil May Cry 2
- Worst fucking sequel ever, what, did Capcom get the bill to make this game with a one week deadline?

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
- What the Fuck Hideo? What the fuck? Everytime someone tells me they liked this game I have to restrain myself from physical violence while glaring furiously into the eyes of another human which I can only assume is a vapid and listless tool. Hey Hideo, is your name Stanley Kubrick? No? Oh I guess it's isn't. Yeah, don't forget who you are you artistic tool.

Megaman X7
- Ah, why. As if the Sony's Regionalized voice acting and redone soundtrack wasn't bad enough for the Western release we had to deal with perhaps the most limp attempt at a Megaman game ever.

Megaman X8
- You couldn't let us forget about X7 could you, you just had to make another, because you know, Axl is so awesome...

Doom3
- The Monsters looked great... um... what about the rest of the game?

Perfect Dark Zero
- Help! We need a game that will sell on its name sake alone! Rare, you still make good games right? Oh, you don't, oh well, make it anyway.

Final Fantasy X
- A good game, but could have been much better, a severe lack of side quests and an expanded edition that was never released in the states make this the beginning of a downward spiral in FF quality. You can tell the character designs are lacking when the gimmicky side characters are more appealing then the male and female leads.

Final Fantasy X-2
- The first FF game spin-off, and the beginning of a long track down the path of FF Sell-outs.

Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus
- I always thought while playing FF7 back in 1997 that this needed something, and that something was hyper-stylized emo/goth-drama. Nearly a decade later this dream was finally realized in a game that took FF7 and made it not FF7, rather, it made it FF7 for anime fangirls who write yaoi fanfics and moody high school students who shop at hot topic and listen to Linkin Park and My Chemical Romance religiously.

Final Fantasy XI
- An FF MMO? What the hell, was Ever Quest's market too tempting a draw? Did this need to be done? No. Did it need a number? No. Did it benefit the franchise in anyway shape or form outside of the Mithra? No.

Final Fantasy XII
- A bland and tame attempt at a FF game, an lazy MMO cruise control engine and a severly hindered and unimaginative world of FFTA which originally was defined by its multiple races and variety, but now you're forced to play as only humans, uninteresting bland humans with tenuous relevancy to the main story at best, oh but there is one non-human, which conveniently happened to be the most human-like of the non-human races. No other FF games has tried to play it safe so much as this one did.

“The Hardcore of the Peach is its pits. Try to get the whole fruit!”

- John Lucas

“Every industry is filled with the grave stones of companies who kept doing the same thing.”

- Reggie Fils-Aime

“You don’t play Graphics, you look at them.”

- Unknown

“Casual Gaming = Anything that’s not an FPS”

- Sony Fandom

kids who havent actually played FF7, and are just looking at screen shots from back when it was released please dont post.

when FF7 was realeased how many games had you played with that caliber of FMV, and polygonal graphics ???

NONE thats how many !!

oh, and its great too. :P

FFX(PS2)... After this game I lost faith in the following series. bad story, no world map, not many side quest... Graphics over gameplay....

FF CC (GC): It sucks if you play alone... is only good when you play with friends who have GBA and a GBS/GC link cable each...

Guardians Cruzade(PS1): Please... don't play this game for any reason.... you will regret if you do

Quest 64 (N64): Almost no story, no sidequests, no character development, bad soundtrack... and no need to use of magic (I beated his game hitting everyone with the staff)... Oh and there is only one character

Blue Stinger(DC): a soundtrack that seems from a bad B movie, character movement that made them look like they needed to go to the bathroom...

Soul Reaver 2 (PS2): Too much story, no bosses, no challenge AT ALL... the first game was awesome, this one missed all the good stuff.

Doom Troopers (Snes):... Contra is a lot better than this game.. the controls were awful.

Deadly Arts (N64): Besides the hot lady and create your fighter, the game has bad mechanics, slow paces fighting and bad effects.

Mario is Missing and Mario's Time Machine(snes): not all Mario games are awesome. These two are one trip ticket to boredom land

Chrono Cross (PS1): to much playtime to get the worst endings a game could ever have. not one made the cut.

Xenosaga II (PS2) : to much cutscenes, not much playtime... I payed for a game not a movie.

"You'll never know what you can do unless you try"

The Mummy Returns:

I guess it was because it was the first bad game I had ever owned, and it wasn't up until that point that I knew there were bad games, it was a sad day for Sam.

FF10 and 12 (although i still liked 10 somewhat)

Ok here's a little hint for you at Square-E..

When you make a FF game make sure you can free roam around the world map!

FFX was linear as anything
I hate it when a map is present on the top right and its like, " here dumbass, this is where you go".

So you walk up for 15 minutes while fighting monsters till you get to the next area then talk to some towns folk, fight a boss and get to the next area and repeat.

I like flying the air ship FREELY and exploring the whole "world"
IE FF4,5,6,7,8,9

FF12..

Man what a mess.

Did you make me care about the charactor's? NO.

Music=Ho-hum.

Ya it was nothing like any FF before it. Cuz it sucked.

MynameisGARY