By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which are the worst/most disappointing games you've played, and why?

Shambolic said:
It's interesting Fazz said FFVII was a let down after the previous installment. I would have to say FFVIII was a let down after VII, never played VI by the way. It's still a good game, it just didn't grab me in the way VII did, in fact it did pretty much nothing for me, so that was definatley a disappointment.

Perfect Dark Zero was as soon as I heard it was coming out on a Microsoft platform, which I didn't have, although I understand it's not so great anyway.

Oh FFVIII was a complete letdown too but that's pretty much assumed by anyone who isn't a complete fuckwit.

Around the Network
yacjuman said:
kids who havent actually played FF7, and are just looking at screen shots from back when it was released please dont post.

when FF7 was realeased how many games had you played with that caliber of FMV, and polygonal graphics ???

NONE thats how many !!

oh, and its great too. :P

I did play it at the time. In fact, I'll wager most of those who consider the game a disappointment did so as well - it was very different from the SNES games, after all. I don't personally consider Final Fantasy 7 to be a disappointment; I liked it and thought it was a good game. Just not as good as Final Fantasy 3/6, which I personally consider to be the best RPG of all time. It's a bit irritating sometimes to see FF7 receive so many accolades from fans who have never played the earlier games in the series... but to each their own, I suppose.

Now you brought up the issue of graphics, which always amuses me. FF7 and its characters have been reworked so many times, people forget what the game actually looked like when it came out. That is, when magazines or online sites post images from FF7, they almost never show anything except cutscenes and movie footage - which presents a very distorted view! Now this is more of what the game actually looked like:

Quite a difference, huh? Everyone forgets the super-deformed characters for some reason. I didn't think that FF7 had bad graphics, but the early N64 games were a lot more impressive visually (outside of the cut scenes, but you don't actually PLAY the game during cut scenes, so how they looked never mattered much to me).

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Geist- (GC) thought it was going to be a badass FPS but it wasnt =(

Mario Sunshine......boring

1 Earthbound- one of the worst Games i ever played
it has the worst Battle system ever!

yacjuman said:
kids who havent actually played FF7, and are just looking at screen shots from back when it was released please dont post.

when FF7 was realeased how many games had you played with that caliber of FMV, and polygonal graphics ???

NONE thats how many !!

oh, and its great too. :P

Kids? Kids are the ones who are obsessed with FFVII because it was their first FF game. Older gamers had played several better RPGs long before FFVII came. Polygonal graphics is right. Legos make great characters don't you know? I didn't WANT FMVs in my game, I wanted a game that looked good while I played it and didn't need to make hundred of CGI videos to cover up it's horrendous load times. I wanted characters that didn't need cutscenes to express freaking emotion. I understand that not everyone feels this way, but seriously I liked almost nothing about FFVII. I liked Aeris, and she was killed by Jenova, and Sephiroth was given credit by people who didn't understand what was going on. So yeah, screw FFVII... FFIV, FFVI, and FFIX for life (my 3 favorites), and Chrono Trigger to stand above them all as lord of RPGs. Just my opinion >_>

Damnit, I had a rate your final fantasies thread, which is already comming to this. Go square, why do you hurt the ones who love you?

Biggest is once more, FFXII, which I actually wrote a 1700 word essay on why I hated it. Bought it launch day too.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Around the Network

Devil May Cry 2 - That was a bitter disappoint after the greatness that was DMC1. DMC2 ended up being Devil May Try 2....

Resident Evil 4 - This game does not resemble a RE game. It was a decent standalone game but an absolutely crappy Resident Evil game.

Zelda: Wind Waker - From the Brilliance of Majora's Mask to this joke of a game? LOL Nintendo.

Those are the main ones from me.

I'll go with my latest disappointment and that was Lost Planet.

I mean the game was supposed to be amazing then it just turned out it looks great and is a pretty decent game. Nothing great about it other than the graphics.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Final Fantasy X-2

I couldn't stomach the game for longer than half an hour. It's possible it got better as it went along, but ... I'll never know ... ever.

And, according to twesterm, I'm a fuckwit, cause I enjoyed FFVIII

When someone says FF VI looks better than FF VII that's when you know he is running on nothing but nostalgia.

You gotta be blind to believe that. As far as which one is the better game I guess it depends on the person so that's debatable.

So much complaining about amazing games on here it's ridiculous. Also how can you be disappointed with FF X and X-2? If you were disappointed with X why would you even expect X-2 (the spinoff) to be better?

Anyway, as an ol RE fan from the very first game, i welcome the new genre it went for. I can understand the complaint about the change of genre, because it's true. Resident Evil 4 is definitely not a survival horror game in the way old RE games were, but the thing is I think it's actuall better as a 3rd person shooter/action game and that's why RE 4 is my favorite game of the series and I have huge expectations for RE 5.

I also wonder about some people who started hating FF series after FF VI, is it not you justifying that it sucks cause it left your console? Aren't you finding looking hard for flaws?

Same with people who suddenly don't expect RE 5 to be good. Why? Cause different people are working on it. Uh, have you seen the footage? It's the same game with more and it looks better that's what a good sequel is. It looks like they kept everything and changed the setting and upped the intensity...

Also, weezy it's funny how you call people haters. The point of this thread is to complain about games so everyone is hating on certain games....

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

naznatips said:
Most disappointing? FFVII no competition. I was so excited about it. At the time FFVI and Chrono Trigger were my 2 favorite games of all time. I literally bought my PSone just to play it. After 3 years of no Final Fantasy, I popped in VII, ready to be blown away... I'll never forget that moment as the moment Final Fantasy died.

My glorious fantasy RPG was gone. In it's place? Some sci-fi bullshit. The colorful characters with great personalities like Terra and Kefka were replaced by emotionless "cool" characters like Cloud and Sephiroth. The detailed and expressive sprite were replaced by... Legos??? When a 2D sprite can express 100 times more emotion than a 3D rendering you have a problem.

My engaging story? Gone, replaced by a shallow (and often misinterpreted story) about a genetically engineered super soldier who wants the power of the "life force." It was cheesy, overdone (even in the 90s), and completely ridiculous. The best character in the game, Aeris, was killed off (BY JENOVA, NOT SEPHIROTH), and for the rest of the game I really felt like I was forcing myself to play it. Of course the midi music and the bland colors that were spread throughout the game did nothing to hold my interest more. I bought a PSone for that game, and it made me want to kill Square. FFVIII did nothing to remedy that, and FFIX gave me a short reprieve, but it was way too easy. Now we have FFXIII on the way where Shiva is a f***ing motorcycle. I'm done Square, and you guys can go to hell for what you did to that series. Please for the love of god don't do it to Dragon Quest.

Worst game I have ever played? Superman 64. Does that really need an explanation?

You have got balls to say all that about FF7. I kinda like the game but it is not the best RPG ever, I would not even list it in the top 10. I agree on FF7 having a overcomplicated story and translation issues. Every FF7 fanboy will tell you the history is perfect and flawless, but the truth is that the perfect history is not even the original history. Even CT had some translations issues, but FF7 went as far as to make us misinterpret some key events. I still like FF7 universe (excluding everything else, Cerberus, Advent Children, phone games) . The only thing that bugs me is that I remember reading that Aeris was Cloud romantic par on the original history and Tifa was not in it at al. It feels lame like in real life. Who would you chose as the protagonist girl`s, a sensitive, pure hearted, intelligent flower girl or the girl with huge tits? The girl with huge tits of course.

I feel the same way you feel about FF8 and FF12. Those games suck hard.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."