By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony abandons psp fans, focuses on their bleeding wound.

Nintendo seems to be the only company at this point in time, that can juggle more then one hardware and sell it well.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

Sony hasn't abandoned the PSP. Think of the trailers for Resistance Retribution, or consider the great games on the system: Jeanne D'Arc, Vice City Stories, MGS Portable Ops, or God of War Chains of Olympus.

Sure, you can critique UMD and the quasi-proprietary memory format (though prices have dropped). But Sony did something smart by making the PSP an all-in-one media device, with no storage limitations - plug in your 8GB flash, you can play your entire audio collection. Plug it into your computer, you can access whatever you want (wish I could do that with my DS). Click on the WLAN, you can surf the web. If I had one gripe, it's the lack of touch controls, but PSP2 should take care of that.

Troll thread.

PSN ID= bigdaddymoo

MSI GT725-074 owner..... TRUE BEAST.. COD4 is a different game on PC.

on the bright side the psp's library undeniably surpasses any non-nintendo handheld in both quantity and quality...except the nomad but that's more of a gray area,
plus even as support decays nothing is stopping me from enjoying all the fantastic games that are already out on the psp

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christhor said:
numonex said:
This is terrible for PSP owners. PSP deserves more support than what it is getting from Sony.

Eh, I still own more games for the PSP then any of my GB's. Handheld gaming sucks either way, consoles and even PCs FTW!

While I'm with the part, I disagree a lot about the second. I like my PSP.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Strategyking92 said:

I get kind of mad when I think about it... But the psp could have been bigger than the DS, if sony had put their full support in it. Hell, it's best year was it's first - 2005, when it outsold the DS for a number of weeks. The DS lite was released, and sony had no chance. UNLESS, they would have had the same great marketing the DS had at the time, and a slightly lower price.

2006 came and went, with medium software support.

And when the ps3 launched.. And it seemed sony lost sight of the psp, and tried to push the ps3 onto people.

Now, if sony would have bitten the bullet, and sold the psp for a slightly higher loss (other than at launch), maybe something could have been different. They did so with the ps3... Why not the psp?

So, the ps3 is like a twin, feeding off the other twins life support (the psp).

/rant

No the DS has a touch sensitive screen which means it can do many interactive things far better than the PSP.

Sony put their $$ into the graphics and CPU pipelines and have a very powerfull graphics and CPU - it can do better graphics, it's practically a Portable PS2.

It's like the Wii and the PS3 where sony spend $ on graphics and CPU and nintendo spent $ developing a better interface - Nintendo out classed the competition in an unexpected way again ! - I think the user interface controls are very important - the PSP uses a crappy xy force button thing - the same used to be common on  laptops untill the touch pad's came along - the DS goes one step better with a touch sensitive screen.

The cost to produce is important, DS is much cheaper to manufacture and to buy, while the leading edge chipset in PSP will take alot longer to reduce price and even if it was cheaper would still not have a touch interface.

Here is a marketing feature comparison - if I included multimedia then PSP would get one extra point but people use Ipod etc for multimedia for a game console and gaming it's not so important.

price   touch   graphics

DS        1         1         0

PSP      0         0         1

Score DS=2 , PSP=1

PSP is doing huge sales getting over 40 Million is incredible so why be concerned about the DS sure it's over 90 but does not mean PSP is failing in any way it's doing fine as a combo multimedia/game device.

PS3 number 1 fan

ya know the psp has just never appealed to me. i remember thinking it would dominate the ds but thankfully that didn't happen. they just don't have the games to get me interested but if they ever do, then i would buy one

darthdevidem01 said:
I dunno

it doesn't sell SW so why willl SONY support it more than the PS3 which does sell software

PSP is by far the biggest Playstation system disappointment I have ever had (the only PS brand disappointment)

PSP will be seen as a black mark on the PS family name 10 - 15 years on from now

I don't know, the psp may not be well supported now, but it most certainly is the most successful non-nintendo handheld, which is an accomplishment in itself, since the psp has a good chance, or an outmost certainty of outselling the ps3.

Until a couple months ago, the psp had more highly rated games than the DS, which dwarfs it's library total by alot. I think that speaks volumes for the psp's library.

Another problem I have, as many have mentioned, is the UMD drive. But it's not just the drive I dislike, it's also the discs themselves. Sony did not build them to last, as I have half of my collection with the plastic covering coming off. It doesn't make them unplayable, but more dust gets on the UMD's themselves, and it is unnecessary and annoying.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

the psp is better than the ds....

@Cheebee: Otherwise we'd have the standard Central-European price, but we have our own importers, that take their own share in between (and 22% sales tax).

@SlorgNet: It's not about what games already are on the system, but what kind of support Sony is giving for the system currently.
Also, the media functionality is one of the things that's hurting PSP, since people buy it for other purposes than to play PSP games.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.