By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony abandons psp fans, focuses on their bleeding wound.

Its no different from the Wii vrs PS3 arguments.

One targets gamers - the other targets everyone. The sales correspond with this.

The real issue/pity about the PSP - software sales. Considering the install base is 40m+ units - software sales are terrible. Compare the sales to the 360, which has around half the install base.

I really doubt its 'just' piracy - I think people just don't buy or play that many games on it. This is the biggest problem for the PSP - its made it close to impossible to convince publishers to really support PSP development.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

it might be able to turn around into a software success, certain things need to be done. but ill leave that for the paid professionals

Orca_Azure said:
The psp really does outshine a ds. When compared- the psp has early ps2 graphics while the ds surpases N64 level graphics.

The psp can also double as a web browser, picture storer, music and video player. The ds- you can play pictochat with people 30 feet away which defeats the purpose really.

Nintendo just can't do wrong this generation. meh

fixed.

360 Tag - narfwack

I love my psp, even though I haven't played a game on it for like 8 monthes I still use it on daily basis, the mp3 and mp4 players are top notch in functionality.

"Kinect" Games I am really excited about (Click for videos)

Kinectimals        Dance Central      Kinect-Sports   Kinect-Adventures    Your Shape       Kinect-Forza

Owner of :   slim 1000 +  80GB DSlite

scottie said:
Strategyking92 said:

Hell, it's best year was it's first - 2005

So, the ps3 is like a twin, feeding off the other twins life support (the psp).

/rant

Think about these two statements for a bit...

The PSP leeched off the success of the PS2, back before its release people assumed the PSP would succede simply because the PS1/2 did. However, after its first year it was apparent this was not going to happen, so t was all downhill from there

What? The PSP's best year was most definetely not 2005. At all. 

Besides, being the Sony helped PM Studios bring DJ Max over here makes me a happy camper.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

No offence to PSP games but most are terrible portable games. They are fine console games but as a portable device, having a game load for 15 seconds between levels and playing story based games while you ride ona loud and shaky bus doesnt work.

There is no way it could have competed with DS. It would need a greater library of games like Lumines.

Besides ROM emulation of classic consoles > any psp game ever released for portable gaming. I don't think Sony understands what makes a good portable game system as quick arcade style fun is muh more important than visuals when playing games on the go.

I own God of War, Silent Hill, Castlevania and Street Fighter Alpha 3. And out of those games i only play castlevania and sfa3 when im on the go. Rest of the time I play Legend of Zelda Link to the Past for the 30th time and Sonic CD for 50th time.

narfwack said:
Orca_Azure said:
The psp really does outshine a ds. When compared- the psp has early ps2 graphics while the ds surpases N64 level graphics.

The psp can also double as a web browser, picture storer, music and video player. The ds- you can play pictochat with people 30 feet away which defeats the purpose really.

fixed.

From Wikipedia :"the DS can also create three-dimensional graphics, similar to those of the Nintendo 64, although its lack of hardware support for texture filtering results in more pixelated graphics than on the Nintendo 64."

So no, it's a bit below N64.

"Kinect" Games I am really excited about (Click for videos)

Kinectimals        Dance Central      Kinect-Sports   Kinect-Adventures    Your Shape       Kinect-Forza

Owner of :   slim 1000 +  80GB DSlite

krimoz911 said:
narfwack said:
Orca_Azure said:

fixed.

From Wikipedia :"the DS can also create three-dimensional graphics, similar to those of the Nintendo 64, although its lack of hardware support for texture filtering results in more pixelated graphics than on the Nintendo 64."

So no, it's a bit below N64.

Aside from the having so small a screen you probably couldn't even tell a difference between the DS and the n64, you can't tell me this trailer doesn't look better than most n64 games.

360 Tag - narfwack

NJ5 said:
cheese_man said:
Hmm I dunno. Apparently this year sony is going to have the biggest psp lineup ever. But yeah they could put a little more effort into it, maybe it's not making enough profit?

As an example of PSP's software sales problem, look at this holiday's shipment data from Sony:

Notice how the PSP sold less than half as much software as the PS3 did, despite PSP's userbase being more than twice as big. Its hardware and software sales are also declining from the last holiday, by 12-15%.

I think that may be a result of absolutly no good releases from September onwards. For some reason, all the good PSP titles were released at the beginning of the year. It also appears to be happening again this year, so far.

Orca_Azure said:
The psp really does outshine a ds. When compared- the psp has early ps2 graphics while the ds struggles with super nintendo level graphics.

on the left is ds, right is 64

Twilightman on Gametrailers