By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - “Xbox 360 is not ahead by a million units,” PS3 now market’s number 2, says Reeves

He is pulling no punches.

David Reeves has told EG that despite Microsoft’s claims to the contrary, Xbox 360 is not as far ahead as the company thinks.

Reeves compared Sony stance of not dropping the price compared with MS as like “going ten rounds with Ali” and still standing.

“I don’t want to talk about the competition too much, but Xbox 360 is not ahead by a million units,” said Reeves, looking back on the post-December NPD fallout.

“We sold through 500,000 PS3s in November. We sold through 1.1 million units in December. Our installed base now is very close to 8.5 million units in PAL territories. Our numbers show we are absolutely neck-and-neck,” he said.

Looking ahead to the remainder of the PS3’s lifecycle, Reeves remains positive as now he claims that PS3 is number two in the market.

“What happened was, we overtook them, and they dropped the price. It’s almost as if we’ve gone ten rounds as Mohammed Ali and we’re still standing, because we didn’t drop the price. We held firm.

Now, going into the remaining rounds and the next seven years, we are going to be very strong. The last few weeks have shown we are clearly number two in the market. I’m as confident as I was before.

Link Here

Around the Network

exactly what has happened in the last few weeks to show they are "clearly" number 2 in the market?

I hope Greenburg bites back pretty soon.

I don't get this. Did he just say, there is no 8million gap? Or is he just talking about Europe? He can't be talking about Europe only, because the article says "looking back on the post-December NPD fallout."

This is a serious question, I don't get what he is trying to say.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

The spin is indeed pretty obscene, but at least he isn't claiming that they're the market leader anymore. =/

...sigh

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

Around the Network

Just considering how much later PS3 came out in PAL territories they should be glad if its even close. 360 should theoretically be dominating PAL since it came out sooner.

PS3 PAL Release - November 17, 2006

360 PAL Release - December 2, 2005

Tretton has been quiet lately which is depressing because I like him and his Boston accent. Reeves is the most straightforward Sony head his spin arent hidden. I wonder who the head of Sony Japan is they need t speak up.

I'm pretty sure he is talking about the PAL regions only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Good ol' PR talk, Greenberg spouted more then enough shit in a few days and I guess Sony said about time one of there started as well. Greenburg, Kim and Reeves are kings of spin because it is there job to make there company look good.

hurf durf

@RPG

but the truth is he has a point

MS has pulled Pirce Cut cards & MS is at mass market price

PS3 is nowhere near that mass market price yet & is still standing

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

seece said:
exactly what has happened in the last few weeks to show they are "clearly" number 2 in the market?

I hope Greenburg bites back pretty soon.

He's only talking about his region---Europa.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler