By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - N'Gai: Developers should use low-spec machines as lead, up-port to HD

Angel_DwK said:
That would be horrible.. I don't want to spend 400 dollars to get the same games as the 250 system..

I expect super cool amazing awesome looking games on my 400 dollar system and fun games on my 250 dollar system not the same on both...

especially not shitty port jobs that defeat the purpose of HD

That's what SCEWWS is for. :D

To be honest, lately I find myself only buying games developed (or published in some cases, like LBP) by Sony and Nintendo.  They are, in my opinion, the two best development (and publishing) houses by far.

Around the Network

Yeaaah ill definitely be buying more first party than third party this year

So long as GoW 3 comes out..

Predictions.

1. Wii will never reach 50% market share.

2. Kz2 will sell 1.3 first week 3.5 LT.
Sales predictions for 09.

Wii - 69 - 72
PS3 - 32 - 34
X360 - 39 - 41

Actually, What N'Gai suggest makes a lot of sense, and it goes bayond the consoles perspective.

When he suggested to make Wii the lead platform, it can also work out very well for all consoles including the HD ones. And for those fanboys that fear the graphical prowess of the games will be dimished, don't be, because the developer can have two game engines, one that fully uses the Wii, and one that pushes Ps3 and Xbox360 really good.

What is the benefit? The return of the game development basic formula:

1. Make the game playable, deep and enjoyable
  2. Make it look and sound awesome

Instead of

1. Make the game look and sound awesome
  2. Make it playable, deep and enjoyable

The direct problem you run into starting from the Wii and moving up is Controls. the biggest motivation that people buy a wii is the different controls. I could easily see the ps360 version of a game being exposed badly without the controls to overcompensate for the way a game is designed. just imagine a game like the conduit being ported up to ps360, it would pale in comparision without wii controls because the entire game was designed with motion controls in mind.

its not simply graphics that would be effected in this process the game design would have to be adjusted.

megaman79 said:
BMaker11 said:
megaman79 said:
BMaker11 said:
makes absolutely no sense. Porting up to HD means adding more, COMPLEX work after the job is done. When you port down to the Wii...you simply take stuff out. That takes like...5 minutes lol

Its funny coz noone said shit when PS2 specs were holding back the xbox's graphical capabilities.

Was the original Xbox a generational leap above the PS2, spec wise? No, it wasn't. It's already known that the Xbox was more powerful, but guess what? The Wii has the same computing power as the Xbox, meaning, it too is only about 1.5x more powerful than the PS2. Now, putting this in relative terms, the PS3/360 are over 4.5x more powerful than the Wii. Not to mention they're architectures are VASTLY more complex than the Wii, relative to the PS2 vs. Xbox. At the end of the day, what N'Gai is proposing is just silly, and like someone above said, PS360 software would plummet.

You think they could make KZ2 the way it is, with the Wii in it's vision, and then a "port up" at a later time? No.

KZ2 is going to loose money, atleast with 360, Wii and PS2 versions it might have had a chance to break even.

According to the HD argument higher resolution is a key reasoning for having it. Well the xbox had a higher resolution output than either console competitor last gen. so yes it was a "generational leap".

PS2 had a 300 mHZ processor, Xbox had 729. PS3/360 both have 3.2 g(as in giga-)HZ processors, while the Wii is still at 729 mHZ. There is just no comparison in the difference between PS2/Xbox and PS360/Wii.

And HD, in terms of gaming, isn't just about pixels. Advanced AI, high end graphics, amount of objects on screen, etc are all what make up the HD "experience" so, no, the Xbox was not that far ahead of the PS2.

And why would KZ2 lose money? You know what, Halo Wars is going to lose money. How about that unsubstantiated comment?

Around the Network

So... people want developers to stop trying to push the boundaries of game design with games built to take advantage of the power of the HD consoles in favor of making pretty games with last gen gameplay?

grimygunz said:
The direct problem you run into starting from the Wii and moving up is Controls. the biggest motivation that people buy a wii is the different controls. I could easily see the ps360 version of a game being exposed badly without the controls to overcompensate for the way a game is designed. just imagine a game like the conduit being ported up to ps360, it would pale in comparision without wii controls because the entire game was designed with motion controls in mind.

its not simply graphics that would be effected in this process the game design would have to be adjusted.

Game design needs to change. it's inevitable or the future will make it fall

--OkeyDokey-- said:
So... people want developers to stop trying to push the boundaries of game design with games built to take advantage of the power of the HD consoles in favor of making pretty games with last gen gameplay?

We apparently also don't want developers to take the Wii remote and make a game perfectly centered around it's control.

I don't know if I like the idea or not, but I definitely wouldn't be buying too many multiplatform games then. I'd rather have my unique Zack & Wiki/No More Heroes games for the Wii and a true powerhouse like Gears 2 or MGS4 for the HD consoles. I don't like the way the Wii mixes with the HD consoles.

wfz said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

We apparently also don't want developers to take the Wii remote and make a game perfectly centered around it's control.

I don't know if I like the idea or not, but I definitely wouldn't be buying too many multiplatform games then. I'd rather have my unique Zack & Wiki/No More Heroes games for the Wii and a true powerhouse like Gears 2 or MGS4 for the HD consoles. I don't like the way the Wii mixes with the HD consoles.

Agreed.  Looking further into what this all means, N'Gai might not be right on the mark as I originally thought.

You can understand N'Gai's point of view if you see his PC example. Having a low spec PC game gives you a bigger market to play with, that is why there has been successes from games in this market which aren't graphically marvelous. So he tries translate this situation to the console market, but the console market is not as unified as the pc (same input devices and programing, etc) independent of the processing power of the different machines

It could be interesting for the PC market to have more games go this route with low spec games.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"