By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - N'Gai: Developers should use low-spec machines as lead, up-port to HD

emilie autumn said:
alpha_dk said:
Phoenix_Wiight said:
emilie autumn said:
we'll he's right, but company's are better off still producing a separete version for both Xbox 360 and ps3 and another one for Wii and PS2

ya, i agree with that

Would one of you like to explain why companies are better off spending more than twice as much money to recieve probably less than twice as many sales?

both the xbox360 and the PS3 have a similar format, while the wii and PS2 have the same one(DVD). it is easier to make a XBOX36 game and port it to ps3 than port one to wii(see CTYD that game has taken quite a while to get ported and it looks horrible). the code on Xbox360 and ps3 are also similar, but different to the ps2 and wii, and rewriting a code can take months as stated by the guys who ported okami to the wii.

That explanation explains everything I need to know about why you hold your viewpoint.  Thank you.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Around the Network

Some of his details are fuzzy (THQ seems to be shifting towards Wii development even though it's cutting, and I'm not sure why he's implying that the iPhone isn't a powerful platform), but it's obvious at this point that 3rd parties are still very reluctant to embrace the Wii. Smaller publishers are flocking to it, but the big boys seem to be too fat or too stubborn to show that kind of agility.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I just read that article myself and was going to post it but you beat me to it.
I'm freaking loving N'Gai!! He's the only real 'professional' game media out there.

And he's 100% right. I can't play PC games anymore because aside from WoW, Half-Life 2 and a bunch of 5 years old (and not even some of those) games nothing will run on my laptop. And I'm not paying another $1000 so I can get a laptop that does.

Nor am I alone.  In 2008 laptop sales exceed desktop PCs and it's a trend that's growing.

The majority of console owners are buying Wiis so it's the same deal. It, like a laptop, is powerful enough for the majority of people.

All games should be made to run on Wii/laptops and then up-gradable for those with higher-end PCs and consoles. It's not blaphemsy, it's just common sense. But apparently not to Western game developers.

That's really interesting

The result would probably be that PS360 games would have slightly worse graphics. Is that a too bad price to pay for being 2nd/3rd in the console race?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Will publishers continue business as usual, or will they change their strategy?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Khuutra said:
It shall hereby be referred to as "The Socratic Ass-Kicking," by which one answers one's own question. It is an ass-kicking that improves you even as it takes your name.

This is the greatest quote in the history of the Internet.

Around the Network

Moving the goalposts is fine, but the videogame market isn't a football match, where one side wins and the other loses. It's more like an ecosystem, where different species have to cooperate to survive.

It's not good for gaming if one single console is dominant. Nor is it good for gaming if one single style of gaming is dominant. Hegemony breeds monocultural hubris which breeds an inevitable crash, which sets back everyone.

Rather than seeing it as a problem, I'd suggest that platform parity is something long overdue and profoundly positive: HD-gaming is self-sustaining, low-res gaming is self-sustaining, and mobile/handheld gaming is self-sustaining. Developers who fail to understand this, or think the Wii is low-cost junkware and that they don't need to work extremely hard to succeed in that space, will suffer the wrath of the media-savvy consumer. Devs who create games which leverage each platform's unique strengths in creative ways will do fine.

N'Gai, Fils-Aime, Wii...

Only the really weird names kick asses around here.

He's totally right for all kinds of reasons, and I agree with famousringo that the big boys are too fat and stubborn to change. It is my hope that more and more small devs can ride the Wii's coattails to great success and that more and more giant conglomo-devs can ride the HD systems' coattails to losing money, credibility, and marketshare. Big western devs are part of what's holding back the industry by telling Wii gamers what they want (100% casual games), and by deciding that it's not good enough, and ignoring the Wii. They never cease to amaze me with how truly stupid they are to ignore this much growth and giant chunks of money.

emilie autumn said:
we'll he's right, but company's are better off still producing a separete version for both Xbox 360 and ps3 and another one for Wii and PS2

Those are mutually exclusive.  It N'Gai is right, then companies are NOT better off making separate versions.

(I would also think Sony would love to see them stop making PS2 versions -- because maybe it would cause people to upgrade to a PS3).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

PS2 shouldn't even be in the equation anymore.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Arius Dion said:
PS2 shouldn't even be in the equation anymore.

If people are still buying the games - which they must be for developers to continue making the games - then I would say it very much should be in the equation.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)