By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will SONY follow?

Now that the 360 is getting a price cut in the UK will SONY follow suit?  The price difference is alot bigger now especially with the core costing as much as a Wii.  I mean there are many games currently out and on the way that don't need a hardrive (would need a memory card) so for about the cost of a Wii you can enjoy all of them.  One thing I don't understand from http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=170424 is CVG asking for Nintendo to drop the price when it is still selling so well.  As mentioned many times SONY really needs another price drop to be able to even compete in the coming months as I don't think the software is strong enough compared to MS and Nintendo.  So any predictions for SONY to follow suit?  I say they don't because it is a 10 year plan after all so look for next year hopefully.

Around the Network

They're losing too much money as it is. Not trying to flame or anything, but I think Sony would have a hard time either way.

There is a possibility it is announced this week (Game Conventions) but i doubt it. It is not good to share price drops and moving know would look more than an answer.

But i excpect Sony to drop the price in EU to 479 € before begin of November (Maybe 499€ with a pack in game / starter pack).

I am pretty sure they will follow suit. I think they are just trying to wait as long as possible before announcing a price cut. The PS3 just hit Europe 4 months ago. Sony doesn't want to look desperate. I wouldn't expect a price drop until around November, unless the 360 experiences some sort of huge sales spike in Europe. Thats the only way I see any sort of price change before that point.

I just hope whatever price drop they offer is not some clearance sale where a couple of months later it jumps right back up. I guess SONY wanted to be honest with the people but they should have just kept quiet about the higher priced ps3 in the usa. I guess they figured if people knew it was limited supply it would sell alot faster but seems it is still widely available and should continue to be with the recent 360 price drop in the usa. Is there any data showing how well the $600 80gig ps3 is selling? Only information I found was from amazon which is not even in the top 100 PS3 page though the 60gig one is #1. Basically they might have been better off just having the 60 gig version at 499 and keeping it there while making new 60 gigs with the cheaper components like software emulation etc. That extra 20gig only brought the stigmant of the $599 price tag and having multiple sku's.

Around the Network

They'll cut the price in EU around september/october following the logic of the release date contra the US release date. At least I hope so...

No. PS3 is better value anyhow.

Nope. Europe belongs to Sony.

Sony won't cut in response. They've been doing better than MS without a price cut, and they have a second starter pack on the way. They'll probably drop the price in spring and it'll be a sizeable cut. But there's not really any need for Sony to cut their price in Europe.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

kber81 said:
Nope. Europe belongs to Sony.

Have you looked at the UK, France, German charts lately?