By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN: PSP2 is coming!

Lord N said:

Touch screens have been around long before there ever was a DS.

The first touch screen for a PC came out in 1983, and I believe it was Sony who made it.

Ahh Sony fans....

Anyways the first touch screen computer was the HP-150 it didn't use a touch screen that we used today or one that was even developed in the 1970's by ELO(5 wire resistance). It used a IR laser matrix over a CRT screen(which of course was made by Sony but not specifically designed for it). The touch interface was solely independent from the monitor. Just like other touch interfaces at the time(Which were liek thick plastic sheets that went over whatever you were making touch senstive...Usually a menu of some sort. Because IR is invisble it was non constrictive for use on the screen.

Around the Network

I doubt Nintendo invented the touch screen technology that it uses either..

Orca_Azure said:
With a touch screen it would easily erase most of the difference between itself and the DS. I like the psp :p it's like a mini ps2. I do hope a psp2 comes out (Sony tends to have better luck with things with the number 2 in it).

The DS primarily differentiates itself with software. The hardware is only part of that equation.

ditch UMD.. n give us 2-8GB carts.. that wud make me wanna get one

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

redspear said:
Lord N said:

The first touch screen for a PC came out in 1983, and I believe it was Sony who made it.

Ahh Sony fans....

Anyways the first touch screen computer was the HP-150 it didn't use a touch screen that we used today or one that was even developed in the 1970's by ELO(5 wire resistance). It used a IR laser matrix over a CRT screen(which of course was made by Sony but not specifically designed for it). The touch interface was solely independent from the monitor. Just like other touch interfaces at the time(Which were liek thick plastic sheets that went over whatever you were making touch senstive...Usually a menu of some sort. Because IR is invisble it was non constrictive for use on the screen.

First of all, cut the rhetoric. It would actually be more accurate to call me a Nintendo fan as I own more Nintendo consoles and games than Sony games.

The point that I was making is that Nintendo isn't the first company to implement a touchscreen. The HP-150 didn't have a touchscreen by the strict definition, but the same idea was still there. This idea that Nintendo invented touchscreens with the DS(or in the case of the Wii, motion sensing) is as silly as the idea that MS invented online gaming with ZXbozx Live. You're giving Nintendo far more credit than they deserve.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Around the Network
Lord N said:
redspear said:
Lord N said:

Ahh Sony fans....

Anyways the first touch screen computer was the HP-150 it didn't use a touch screen that we used today or one that was even developed in the 1970's by ELO(5 wire resistance). It used a IR laser matrix over a CRT screen(which of course was made by Sony but not specifically designed for it). The touch interface was solely independent from the monitor. Just like other touch interfaces at the time(Which were liek thick plastic sheets that went over whatever you were making touch senstive...Usually a menu of some sort. Because IR is invisble it was non constrictive for use on the screen.

First of all, cut the rhetoric. It would actually be more accurate to call me a Nintendo fan as I own more Nintendo consoles and games than Sony games.

The point that I was making is that Nintendo isn't the first company to implement a touchscreen. The HP-150 didn't have a touchscreen by the strict definition, but the same idea was still there. This idea that Nintendo invented touchscreens with the DS(or in the case of the Wii, motion sensing) is as silly as the idea that MS invented online gaming with ZXbozx Live. You're giving Nintendo far more credit than they deserve.

I am not giving Nintendo any credit. It gets to me when fanboys think a certain company invented a certain technology(Apple and Sony are the worst). So I point it out when I can.

Notice I did not say that Nintendo invented the touchsceen. In fact I said ELO did(in fact their touch screen si what the DS is using a resitive based touch screen) which invented it in the 70's.

The HP-150 was made and designed by Hewlett Packard not Sony all the same just to give credit where credit is due.

You realy should of read the whole post.

i wonder if it will ave motion controls now that would be epic. like ilt the dam thing to turn a corner in a race game

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

THIS HAS BEEN DEBUNKED! http://www.mcvuk.com/news/33063/PSP-2-rumours-are-nonsense

PSP2 coming in maybe 4 years.

Wait, Sony said PSP2 was a no go a few months back... I'm so confused.