By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN: PSP2 is coming!

I do not believe IGN. This is all speculation and nothing more. I'll wait for an official conformation from Sony.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

Around the Network
Groucho said:
I'm feel certain that Sony is looking into a PSP-2. I'm also fairly certain that its not even complete on the drawing table yet, and that its not "coming soon".

The PSP-1 has been wildly successful, given Nintendo's absolute dominance of the handheld market... basically forever... until recently, where their dominance has waned from "absolute dominance" to "pretty much mostly sorta dominance".

I will score a PSP-2 the day it shows... or within a few months anyhow. I hope it has UMD BC.

I'm thinking that would be an add-on accessory like the memory card reader for PS3

The unit will probably have the B/C built in, but the UMD drive might have to be seperate.

They'd also include a (Legal) way to either copy the disk to the units memory (in which case a cable connected unit) or i'd expect it to look like the X360's HDD look where the drive clips on in some way.

As for PSP2 software distribution, baybe some form of proprietry flash memory stick and internal mem for the saves/DLC etc? Can't be more expensive than a UMD is to make

I can't see UMD having a lifespan too much longer than the lifespan of the PSP1

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

If sony puts another thumbstick I would buy a PSP. Touch screen would also be a plus. Who are these women playing handhelds that need GPS though? Such a waste of money to have something like that. Another thumbstick, touch screen, and a longer battery life are the three things I'd care about.

2 analogues plz

Check out my game about moles ^

well wanna read something stupid?????Then,READ

the original psone launched in dec 94 in japan
ps2 launched march '00 in japan......so that is 5 years and 3 months later...and dont forget that psone was the most successfull home console at that time,and competition wouldnt come for at least another one and half years(xbox,gamecube launched in nov 01 ww)

I think mid-2010 is the right time for the launch of psp2,the reasons are:
1.piracy is killing psp software sales,so its also killing profit

2.umd is more than dead.killing it with the psp2 is easy.However its not easy killing it with the psp.There are already 45 million psp with umd so releasing games in another format,other that umd an digital distribution,would make them incompatible.One can argue that they can release games in memory stick format,since every psp has a mspd slot however that would not solve the piracy problems

3.iphone/ipod touch threat.....while its not much of a threat now,since it doesnt have any serious game,still it gathers alot of support and its ahead in terms of Digital distribution

4.psp is not so child/family friendly a factor that seems to drive sales these days.With the addition of a touchscreen sony can have more child-friendly games..so it could sell more.....

5.people that want to upgrade...psp sold nearly 15 mln in its first year...so its logical that after 5 years we want to see better graphics and a better screen.......mobile phones in japan have more than double the resolution of the psp's screen......so psp,its games and its screen have lost the wow factor that had in the first years

And one last note....For those who say that sony cant afford to launch another console i think they are wrong......dont forget that ken kutaragi is no longer the head of sony computer ent.!!! he was the one that insisted in proprietary formats(motion egine,cell proccessor,umd,blu-ray) that led to billion of dollars in investments and also raised the cost/price of the systems....Instead sony can focus in already known technology, upgrade/modify it a little bit..and there u go..... a new system with no big investments and not a big cost!!!!

Around the Network

A PSP2 won't come out until the PSP's sales have been in decline for a while, so I'd say either the 2010 or 2011 holiday season, most likely the latter.

A touch screen wouldn't be a bad idea, but what it really needs is a second analog stick(that's right, STICKS, not nubs), and built-in storage. The media for its games should be MSPDs and not UMDs. That would raise battery life, make the system less bulky, and allow them to launch games at lower prices. $40 is too much for a hand held game. If it's going to serve a multi-media device as well as a gaming device, then it needs to come with at least 4-8GB of built in flash memory. It should still support regular MSPDs in order to expand its storage capacity, and for this, it should have two MSPD slots, one for games, and one for MSPDs to expand storage capacity.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Backwards compatibility is expendable with the PSP2 considering that the PSP hasn't exactly moved a whole lot of software to begin with.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Not for a few years. The psp is already the most expensive hand held... imagine how much the next would cost.

Two sticks and BC with the current PSP and I will be all over it!

I highly doubt this is anytime soon though but this is the perfect time for final development ideas for the next handheld to come together and start the actual task of making it have feasible production costs, final design, etc.

Anyone suspecting a new PSP soon will be disappointed I believe, but it's not strange to have it in a design phase at the moment. Much like Nintendo starting to think about their next console as soon as their current one releases, you've got to make these choices way ahead of time to make sure the tech is there, the costs are low, and you can make a profit.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000