By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS360 owners to shift to the Wii?

MaxwellGT2000 said:
outlawauron said:
mai said:

outlawauron said:

Not entirely true. The DS still hasn't captured the Racing, Sports, and Shooter game title yet. That's really the only area that people will agree on that's the DS's weak spot.

Really not in Racing, Sports genres, so can't comment on this, but Shooters... well, if you mean FPSTPS so there're very few titles on handhelds worth playing, but all of them inferior to home consoles or PC versions. Couple of Syphon Filters and Metroid Prime Hunters - that's practically all I'd recommend for FPSTPS lovers on handhelds. Someone may add Resistance, Killzone, Moon, Ward etc., but those are very questionable. So let's say if DS haven't got this... no handheld on market have this. FPSTPS just not a handheld genre... yet. Why? Well, there's difference between game on handheld and handheld game. Most of portable Shooters just pure reincarnations of home consoles or PC titles in miniature. Some unique design ideas are needed to make those games appeal to mass public besides portable format. As you may see most of game genres on DS fit it's design idea very well, but FPSTPS... hmmm, none of developers haven't overcome this challenge yet. Maybe in the future.

Well, the Syphon Filter games are excellent. All three SOCOM games were very good. Killzone: Liberation was a lot of fun. And the Call of Duty games were supposed to be decent as well. I haven't played a good DS shooter first or third person shooter, so I agree with your last part.

@ whorenraged

What? Outside of MK DS, what has been good?

Regardless, Ridge Racers 1 and 2, Wipeout Pure, Wipeout Pulse, Burnout Legends, Burnout Dominator, OutRun 2006, Twisted Metal, Midnight Club: DUB (and L.A. Remix), Pursit Force 1 and 2, and I could go on.

And as far as sports title, the PSP gets the superior version of nearly each sport every year. FIFA, Madden, Pro Evo, MLB: The Show, Tiger Woods, and even the NBA PSP games that Sony makes aren't that bad.

DS trumps PSP in almost every way when it comes to FPS titles, TPS PSP is king, DS has Metroid Prime Hunters, the awesome CoD4 and CoD:W@W titles, and Moon, the only TPS on DS of note is Brothers in Arms which was really good though needed multiplayer and needed to be longer.  PSP has awesome TPS games like you said SOCOM, Syphon Filter, and my personal favorite (you may think I'm crazy) Star Wars Battlefront Renegade Squadron. 

And DS has some really good racing titles that just didn't sell that well like Racedriver create and race which allowed you to make your own tracks and upload them online and you could play peoples tracks and such, really an awesome game, which GRID was made by the same guys and carried the GRID feel but again didn't sell well.  The issue with a lot of PSP racers is the ones that try to get you to steer with the analog nub or the only way to make a turn right is to use it, those games feel really clunky and jerky when racing, it's not very smooth, otherwise PSP has a strong racing lineup as well.

I agree with on Renegade Squadron! I just didn't mention because it didn't have too great reviews. I do like it though.

Have you played any of the Wipeout games though? It's how a racer should be on a handheld. Fantastic fun.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
outlawauron said:
mai said:

outlawauron said:

Not entirely true. The DS still hasn't captured the Racing, Sports, and Shooter game title yet. That's really the only area that people will agree on that's the DS's weak spot.

Really not in Racing, Sports genres, so can't comment on this, but Shooters... well, if you mean FPSTPS so there're very few titles on handhelds worth playing, but all of them inferior to home consoles or PC versions. Couple of Syphon Filters and Metroid Prime Hunters - that's practically all I'd recommend for FPSTPS lovers on handhelds. Someone may add Resistance, Killzone, Moon, Ward etc., but those are very questionable. So let's say if DS haven't got this... no handheld on market have this. FPSTPS just not a handheld genre... yet. Why? Well, there's difference between game on handheld and handheld game. Most of portable Shooters just pure reincarnations of home consoles or PC titles in miniature. Some unique design ideas are needed to make those games appeal to mass public besides portable format. As you may see most of game genres on DS fit it's design idea very well, but FPSTPS... hmmm, none of developers haven't overcome this challenge yet. Maybe in the future.

Well, the Syphon Filter games are excellent. All three SOCOM games were very good. Killzone: Liberation was a lot of fun. And the Call of Duty games were supposed to be decent as well. I haven't played a good DS shooter first or third person shooter, so I agree with your last part.

@ whorenraged

Regardless, Ridge Racers 1 and 2, Wipeout Pure, Wipeout Pulse, Burnout Legends, Burnout Dominator, OutRun 2006, Twisted Metal, Midnight Club: DUB (and L.A. Remix), Pursit Force 1 and 2, and I could go on.

And as far as sports title, the PSP gets the superior version of nearly each sport every year. FIFA, Madden, Pro Evo, MLB: The Show, Tiger Woods, and even the NBA PSP games that Sony makes aren't that bad.

DS trumps PSP in almost every way when it comes to FPS titles, TPS PSP is king, DS has Metroid Prime Hunters, the awesome CoD4 and CoD:W@W titles, and Moon, the only TPS on DS of note is Brothers in Arms which was really good though needed multiplayer and needed to be longer.  PSP has awesome TPS games like you said SOCOM, Syphon Filter, and my personal favorite (you may think I'm crazy) Star Wars Battlefront Renegade Squadron. 

And DS has some really good racing titles that just didn't sell that well like Racedriver create and race which allowed you to make your own tracks and upload them online and you could play peoples tracks and such, really an awesome game, which GRID was made by the same guys and carried the GRID feel but again didn't sell well.  The issue with a lot of PSP racers is the ones that try to get you to steer with the analog nub or the only way to make a turn right is to use it, those games feel really clunky and jerky when racing, it's not very smooth, otherwise PSP has a strong racing lineup as well.

I agree with on Renegade Squadron! I just didn't mention because it didn't have too great reviews. I do like it though.

Have you played any of the Wipeout games though? It's how a racer should be on a handheld. Fantastic fun.

Yes I played Wipeout I haven't really liked it much since the PS1, it's one of those titles that doesn't change a whole lot over time, great game but something I don't plan on playing much.

On a side note I bought Valkyria Chronicles a few days ago, I know you've been waiting for that.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
outlawauron said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
outlawauron said:
mai said:

outlawauron said:

@ whorenraged

Yes I played Wipeout I haven't really liked it much since the PS1, it's one of those titles that doesn't change a whole lot over time, great game but something I don't plan on playing much.

On a side note I bought Valkyria Chronicles a few days ago, I know you've been waiting for that.

I didn't play the old Wipeout games so it's all new to me.

And when will you be able to start Valkyria?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
outlawauron said:

I didn't play the old Wipeout games so it's all new to me.

And when will you be able to start Valkyria?

I'll probably start it as soon as I write up my God of War PSP review and finish Fallout 3 (I'm only a mission away from the end)

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000