By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Profit Numbers: Nintendo, Sony (Game Segment) and Microsoft (EDD Segment)

Bitmap Frogs said:
Impulsivity said:

One issue with the MS one is that it takes into account far more then just the Xbox. Included in the EDD segment are things that are actually profitable such as the microsoft branded keyboards and mice as well as PC games made by microsoft studios such as Ensemble. They purposely obscure the Xbox revenue by including it with many other devices because it is almost certainly still losing money (particularly with the ongoing RROD repair cost allowance of over a billion).  Even things as far from gaming as Windows Mobile phone licensing is included in that number.  Given that all the other areas turned a profit before teh Xbox brought the division into loss territory its almost certain that the xbox is at best breaking even allowing the other more profitable divisions to keep the segment in the black.

Maybe the Xbox division ekked out a narrow profit last year, but I doubt it. Sony on the other hand breaks out all their divisions quite extensively so whatever is made/lost on the PS systems is completely contained accurately and not obscured by PS systems being bundled in with TVs or whatever.

Ah yes... I knew I could count on you to post that. You have no basis whatsoever to state such thing, yet you always do it, every 3 months like a clockwork. Sometimes I do wonder how it feels to live in a land of fantasy where MS is just a lossy, poorly managed company while Sony is the world's example of shining collaboration between research and business triumph.

So do you know what's earning and what's losing in EDD and how much?

And do you know how much every division contributes to losses accounted for in "Corporate level activity" balance item?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

I wonder if MS will ever reach overall profit?

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

Ah yes... I knew I could count on you to post that. You have no basis whatsoever to state such thing, yet you always do it, every 3 months like a clockwork. Sometimes I do wonder how it feels to live in a land of fantasy where MS is just a lossy, poorly managed company while Sony is the world's example of shining collaboration between research and business triumph.

So do you know what's earning and what's losing in EDD and how much?

And do you know how much every division contributes to losses accounted for in "Corporate level activity" balance item?

No, but you look like the kind of guy who knows what general overseed the removal of Roswell's charred remains.

Any other conspiracy theory about MS financial statements? Maybe the keys to the Temple of Salomon are coded into the Office Unit revenue?

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Looking back at the old profitability numbers I'm led to believe that Nintendo charged alot less to develop NES games than it did on future systems. Hmm

The data from the 1980s would have included profitable almost exclusively from Arcade hits, Mr. Game & Watch and NES alone, minus their development costs, minus developing games, advertising, setting up offices worldwide, and then developing Game Boy & SNES, researching CD-Roms, the losses at the anti-monopoly hearings.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said:

Looking back at the old profitability numbers I'm led to believe that Nintendo charged alot less to develop NES games than it did on future systems. Hmm

You mean royalties from third-parties?

From what I know the first contracts made when Famicom/Nes hadn't still take off were favorable to third-parties ( like Namco or Hudson ).

However when was the time to renew those contracts after five years then Nintendo charged the full price for the licensee ( famous is the anecdote of Yamauchi humiliating Namco's CEO ).

Don't forget also that one of the greatest source of income for Nintendo was that they were the exclusive manufacture of every Nes cartridge. Third-parties paid Nintendo in advance to get the cart even before they gained anything from their game.

I remember that at the beginning of the GBA/GC era Nintendo lowered their royalties.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Around the Network

wow @ nintenDOUGH

You should be beaten, burned to ashes then someone should throw your ashes from a plane

Wow, 28 years of pure profit. Ridiculous 2008 profit.
Go Nintendo!
(>'.')>

Alterego-X said:
Globox82 said:
In a long run PS3 will make sh1t load of money to Sony. Why? Well Blu Ray, Last time they didn't get much money from DVD sales, but with Blue ray it is different story. Not only this gen but when next gen both MS and Nintendo adopt Bluray in next gen systems( you know they will) they will pay licence fee to Sony for every disk/game sold.
Cell tech will be used in next PS, so even if it looks bad in a long run it is smart move. Just like in poker, long run is what counts.
Props to Nintendo, they know how to make money and stay in biz.
Ms? Well someone has to much money...

Assumption #1: Blu-ray will win the format war against DD (unlikely)

Congratulations, you have made the most idiotic post today.

wow M$ really needs to start making a profit. They got 9 billion to make back up and last year was a good start

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Gotta Ca$h Em All! Pokemon!!!

FootballFan - "GT has never been bigger than Halo. Now do a comparison between the two attach ratios and watch GT get stomped by Halo. Reach will sell 5 million more than GT5. Quote me on it."