By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Profit Numbers: Nintendo, Sony (Game Segment) and Microsoft (EDD Segment)

woopah said:
dampowell said:
Isn't R&D and cost of buying stakes in companies factored into their earnings report? Where would the rest of that money go apart from to pay dividends.

well as you said, a lot of that money is being paid out in dividends. Nintendo also invests a fair amount into property which i'm not sure is included in this table

in the grand scheme of things there dividend payments probably equate to somewhere around $4 - $5bn in the last 20 years, doesn't their income sheet take assets such as property holding into account as well? I thought it might.

Around the Network

Sega is reacher tan Sony Playstation :o.

I wonder if this will be updated, in the near future.

liquidninja hasn't been online since November so I doubt it.

kowenicki said:
I'd like to see a chart that also includes the net profit/loss of the parent company...

I dont think McDonalds gives a shit if it loses money on fries as long as it makes money elsewhere...

Actually, McDonald's makes the most money off its fries and drinks.

The more you know.

Around the Network
lapsed_gamer said:
What I find incredible is that Nintendo posted profits higher than Playstation in all years other than 2003 despite "losing" the generation.

thats because Nintendo had a little thing called Gameboy / DS raking it in

Hide your kids, hide your wife

Ugh, this thread first post doesn't work with the new Vgchartz layout.

Old news.  M$ had $31B plus in cash reserves as of summer 2009 and $15B profit if I remember correctly  That is for a down year with problems moving Vista.  With Windows 7 doing well they should be up overall this year.  The losses from EDD last gen and the $1B write-off for rrod are not something they are desperate to recover. 

A Famitsu article said the last 6 months of 2009 saw EDD profits jump by 100% to 658m.  With the one quarter reported this year that's roughly $.8B in 9 months.  Expect $1B to the good when yearly totals are in.  That is despite carrying Zune and Games for Windows which I doubt show profit at all.  The bottom line for this div. seems deliberately obscured as noted in the argument above and we may never know where losses are incurred or profit generated.  R & D, production and associated costs for Kinect and the slightly new box will need to be claimed somewhere soon.    

SCE lost the modest gains from PS2 and PSP and another $890m on their last full-year fiscal.  This despite a strong turnaround in SW.  The obvious conclusion is that even last holiday the PS3 was selling at a loss per unit sold.  Some portion of the $.89B must be related to the Slim redesign as well.  Even this is old news and I hope to see plenty of black ink for this year.    

Nintendo are inscrutable warlocks of unprecedented pregnosticatory power.   

I seriously doubt either Ninty or M$ will ever pay a penny to use Sony's BR disc tech when there is any possible alternative. 

Can anyone show the revenue numbers for the same years? I'm curious as to fine the difference in gaining a profit and selling the most stuff.