By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Profit Numbers: Nintendo, Sony (Game Segment) and Microsoft (EDD Segment)

dunno001 said:
Globox82 said:
In a long run PS3 will make sh1t load of money to Sony. Why? Well Blu Ray, Last time they didn't get much money from DVD sales, but with Blue ray it is different story. Not only this gen but when next gen both MS and Nintendo adopt Bluray in next gen systems( you know they will) they will pay licence fee to Sony for every disk/game sold.
Cell tech will be used in next PS, so even if it looks bad in a long run it is smart move. Just like in poker, long run is what counts.
Props to Nintendo, they know how to make money and stay in biz.
Ms? Well someone has to much money...

Well, Rhonin did mention some things which are correct, and of which I fail to believe your assertions. There are 19 members of the BR association who collect royalties. I fail to believe that 18 of them would sit back and let Sony take 25% of the total. I could see possibly 10% or so, but I can't prove one way or the other.

As for the companies, yes, Nintendo has always had its own format. There is a possibility that they could still stick with a DVD-base, as it would be the easiest and cheapest to press. Or, depending on how the market plays out with the cost of flash media, I could even possibly see them going back to cartridges. If, by the end of the Wii2's life, a 64GB cart could be made relatively cheaply, it would give them even more space for games than a dual-layer BR. And since the 64GB USB drive already exists, by 2015 (mid-way through a Wii2's lifespan), I could see it being feasible. (Or they could make the cart a bit bigger and use multiple cheaper chips, just like the old days.) So Nintendo's not locked into BR.

And Microsoft? There's only one way I could see them going with BR for the 720, and that's if they keep the multimedia angle. But by that point, will people still want to buy one for a BR player, especially given that some of the standalone players have already come down below the 360 Arcade? They would not be able to hedge sales on systems too well for this, like some of the PS3 sales have done. But, given that both the Xbox and 360 used a DVD format, I do think Microsoft will want to move on. Recall, however, that they were part of the HDDVD group. While the format may be dead, the technology still exists, and it would be cheaper for Microsoft to use this than BR, which leans me more toward them actually using a (maybe) modified HDDVD disk rather than a BR.

So no, Sony's not guaranteed a load of money. As Alterego-X mentions, there are a lot of assumptions, both in your post and mine. I can't rule out that both Nintendo and Microsoft will use BR entirely, but I just can't see it happening.

Microsoft isn't supporting Blu-Ray on Windows 7 (the Media Center does not play it natively), but Windows 7 comes with the H.264, VC-1, AVC and MPEG-4 codecs that are used for OS, and you can only play Blu-Ray movies via third-party software (CyberLink's PowerDVD 9, which I had to fork $107 for...). Microsoft still remains neutral with Blu-Ray, so you'll have to wait while they see how Blu-Ray takes off and surpasses DVD.

Around the Network

Microsoft EDD is Xbox, Xbox 360, Zune, & other stuff.

PREDICTIONS:
(Predicted on 5/31/11) END of 2011 Sales - Xbox 360 = 62M;  PS3 = 59M;  Wii = 97M

*Update* 

• Trimmed off some unessersary stuff. 
    • Among which was the paragraph above the 2nd chart.
    • and the "Just In Dollars" Total at the bottom of the 1st chart.
  • Moved all the notes to the bottom, under the sources.
  • A couple of graphical changes.
    • Charts now use the company logo's more or less.
    • The text backgrounds don't look as cruddy.
Hopefully this all makes it a little more readable.

Great thread!

Any chance to get the table updated with the latest results?

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

**Update**

• Added Sony and Nintendo's FY End 2009 numbers. (Microsoft's will be available July 23)
  • Updated Sega's 1998 - 1999 numbers.

Around the Network

wow, 5.5billion USD in the FY 2009, simply amazing.

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

SJGohan3972 said:

Nintendo has an incredible track record...

I'ts also interesting to note the ps3 has triggered three years of losses already - ps2 only triggered one.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

And people have predicted doom for Nintendo since the days of N64

Sega have made more than Sony from the hardware business ..... and look what happened to Sega.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

SJGohan3972 said:

To put a bit of perspective on that.... I have made some estimations on Sony's figures to pull apart the 4 consoles... and Sony's most profitable console; the PS1, made a little over $5 billion in it's lifetime.
Nintendo just made more than that in 1 year, and with unfavourable exchange rates to boot.

(My other estimations put PS2 at about $3 billion, PSP just regaining profitability with a couple hundred million, and PS3 at a loss of around $6.5 billion)