By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hirai: Xbox "lacks longevity" and Wii doesn't count so PS3 will win.

I`d rather buy a cheap 360 every 5 years than "get a second job for a ps3".

Seriously,xbox1 was discontinued because it had a hdd that costed a lot and they were losing money with every unit sold. They are wining some money now with every 360 sold,so they will stay on the market longer than ps3. They are making money online,so they will support the 360. They are making money on games (because of the userbase and cheap price) so they will support the 360.

Sony are too confident in the Playstation brand,they are last and will stay last...I really don`t know what`s wrong with them.

Around the Network
Kyros said:
Ehm, let me see: cause a) it's "stealing" potential costumers and therefore loses marketshare and b) because it's "stealing" exclusives from them. Seems to me they are competing...

That would be the definition of competition. And yes for the Japanese market and Japanese developers it is definitely true. The Wii gets exclusives that would have otherwise come to the PS3 and therefore most likely gets sales that normally would have gone to the PS3. In Japan Wii and PS3 are directly competing.

In the rest of the world they barely do. The games developed for Wii and PS360 are completely different. I am pretty sure that the same is true for costumers. If you are interested in FPS or if you like GTA the Wii is not even an option. If you want a cheap fun game box to play with friends you will not buy a PS3. The PS2 also had parts of the casual market the Wii now owns, on the other hand with the exception of Singstar the PS3 almost hasn't made any attempt to get this market this gen and with the current price it would be a stupid attempt anyway. In the rest of the world the Wii is much more competing with the PS2.

This has been done to death, but ok.

Please explain to me if Wii is no competitor in the West why the only game consoles PS3 and 360 are not selling as well as PS2+Xbox+GC last gen? Also explain to me how NPD says that 70% of Wii owners had a PS2? It IS taking marketshare and costumers away from the PS3 and 360 and is therefore in direct competition. Or do you really believe that without Wii both consoles would have sold exactly the same as now?

Sure the core-audience is different, but surely you don't believe Sony and MS built their consoles to solely serve the Western shooter/WRPG/sandbox market? The biggest market is the gamer that uses his/her console a few times a week for entertainment. Every console wants to have this audience. It's the core-audience on which Playstation founded its success.

I think he is a dumbass, I know they have to spin things to make things sound good on their part, but they arn't spinning the right words. They should be talking about the future of getting the prices down, and throw in something like "we're confident when the PS3 reaches "insert number here" it will sell better than the PS2!

Anyone with half a brain knew why Microsoft pulled the Xbox, it was a sinkhole.

The 360 is less than 7 months away than being out on the shelves longer than the original Xbox ... and it isn't going anywhere for a while.

This dude will see .. at the end of this gen Xbox 360 AND wii and Ps3 will have made this the longest generataion .. together. All 3.

Mr.Y said:
steverhcp02 said:
folks, you can call it denial but the reason the Wii is selling like this is because its different.....the general public, my grandparents and my aunts and uncles, my coworkers and fellow students dont view it as a videogame system in the traditional sense...

I agree. Look at the top 10 software units for the Wii and you will see that none of them are even games.

Kaz, is that you?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

first time i know that the Wii is not a console.

Around the Network

This guy is even dumber than some of the Sony fanboys I have come across on the internet. I guess it because he is the biggest Sony fanboy. Biggest and dumbest.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACEEEEEEEEEEEEER

Stupid Sony.

You are competing with Nintendo, and they are wiping the floor with your ass. >_>

Mr.Y said:
steverhcp02 said:
folks, you can call it denial but the reason the Wii is selling like this is because its different.....the general public, my grandparents and my aunts and uncles, my coworkers and fellow students dont view it as a videogame system in the traditional sense...

I agree. Look at the top 10 software units for the Wii and you will see that none of them are even games.

Now I have read and quoted the most stupid thing I have ever seen....

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

steverhcp02 said:
the reason the Wii is selling at a record pace is because its appealing to demo's that no other console in history has. Its a compliment....Sony, consumers, MSFT it doesnt matter who says it...i dont understand why people cant just step back and accept the Wii is selling oodles because, 4 nurses i work with talk about "wii fitting" and 3 pharmacists, in their 40's went looking "for the wii fit" .... folks, you can call it denial but the reason the Wii is selling like this is because its different.....the general public, my grandparents and my aunts and uncles, my coworkers and fellow students dont view it as a videogame system in the traditional sense...i dont understand why us gamers and nintendo fanboys also cant. The general public has no problem acknowledging it, but for some reason the "hardcore" crowd does. Weird.

Sony fans talking about "year of th ePS3" are just as bad as videogame fans not accepting the Wii is in a different market...and for gods sake its a GOOD thing, thats WHY its selling like it is. god stop taking it personally because you people label yourselves as gamers....the Wii is different, still a console, but clearly a different market. again not a bad thing, just different.

It's the ONLY console that ONLY plays video games and people buy it to play video games.  They view it as a video game console and buy games that they like.  Just because you have different taste in games doesn't change that fact.  In fact it's definitely more of a "traditional video game system" than either of it's competitors. It's not in a "different" market, it's expanding the existing market.  It is selling to people that also have xbox's and ps3's.  Just because people that wouldn't normally play video games also buy it doesn't mean it's not a video game console, and certainly doesn't mean it isn't competing with the other two.

This just in!  Gamecube won last generation!  Ps2 was a dvd player and sold to casuals so it doesn't count, and Xbox was only sold to people wanting to play online, which is a different market than the people that bought the Gamecube.  Victory for Nintendo!     <---- sounds a little desperate and pathetic doesn't it?

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342