By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hirai: Xbox "lacks longevity" and Wii doesn't count so PS3 will win.

radha said:
emilie autumn said:
why do top executive from sony and microsoft exclude nintendo as if the wii is not an actual console?

i think they see as a harley davidson vs mercedez venz vs jaguar

mercedez and jagua dont care what harley sales. i think thats how MS and sony see nintendo.

Judging by Lips, You're in the Movies, avatars, and threads by pissed off hardk0r3 gam3rz, Microsoft cares how much Harley-Davidson Nintendo sells.

Around the Network
Kyros said:
Also explain to me how NPD says that 70% of Wii owners had a PS2?

The PS2 at least in the end had a big part of the "casual" crowd, that is now owned by the Wii no question. On the other hand the PS3 at 400$ with a BluRay drive is hardly trying to reach this target group at the moment. I won't argue that Sony would like to have it but until the price is much smaller and they have some more games than SingStar and Buzz to capture this crowd they are not competing for this market in earnest. The Ps3 is not competing in all markets the PS2 owned. Of course there is some overlap but more or less the market that was owned by the PS2 has been split into two this gen. And at least until now the one half is fought upon between Ps3 and 360 and the other half is owned by the wii. And yes there are some Zelda fans marooned on the Wii half and some casuals have been captured by the Singstar Ps3. But if you look at the western games announced for Wii and Ps360 it is clear that the publishers and developers are coming to the same conclusion.

Are you telling me that Sony is retreating upstream, taking refuge with the hardcore as opposed to trying to make money?

And you are serious?

I think Crazy Ken passed on some of the crazy. It must be in the chair, then!

Well, he is right about the 360, the closer we get to the release of Gears 3, the closer we get to the launch of the next xbox and the retirement of the 360. And, the Wii is a 6th gen console (albeit the strongest one) competing for the favor of people that have never been that much into gaming while losing a lot of longtime gamers that weren't raised on Nintendo.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

I guess me and Kazuo Hirai agree on some things it sounds a little like megaman2's thread wen mega compared the wii to a boxing match and the ps360 were the fighters and the wii was just the ref

Play Me

Around the Network
RPG said:
Oh it was not directed at you, it was directed as many many many many Nintendo fanboys under the impression this game will remain exclusive (LULZ) and sell the numbers the PSP versions do.

Where are these many fanboys? I rarely see mention of the Wii version outselling the PSP version, in fact I rarely see any comparison in that regards. You're building a straw man.

Why don't you refute these fanboys in the thread they are saying it, rather than bringing it up in threads where they are absent?

BHR-3 said:
I guess me and Kazuo Hirai agree on some things it sounds a little like megaman2's thread wen mega compared the wii to a boxing match and the ps360 were the fighters and the wii was just the ref

That simile is so far off I don't know where to begin. Maybe if the PS3 and 360 are welterweight university-level boxers and the Wii is Muhammad Ali at the height of his career in an exposition match where he beats up two guys at once.

BTFeather55 said:
Well, he is right about the 360, the closer we get to the release of Gears 3, the closer we get to the launch of the next xbox and the retirement of the 360. And, the Wii is a 6th gen console (albeit the strongest one) competing for the favor of people that have never been that much into gaming while losing a lot of longtime gamers that weren't raised on Nintendo.

Dude do you have to keep going on about Gears 3 and it being the end of the 360, you know nothing.

When they release Gears 3, what its? oh fuck we need to release the next xbox, we have nothing left ....

When is this guy going to fall on his own blade in disgrace? Everyone in the industry is seeing this guy as a total quack for not considering the Wii as a competitor. Ken, developers are shifting their resources to Wii development, away from PS3 development. Ignore that, and you'll have a smaller library of games than the N64.

I thought intelligent people were at the head of a company? Guess not.