By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hirai: Xbox "lacks longevity" and Wii doesn't count so PS3 will win.

tuoyo said:
This guy is even dumber than some of the Sony fanboys I have come across on the internet. I guess it because he is the biggest Sony fanboy. Biggest and dumbest.

Kaz isn't dumb. It's his job to make it seem like everything's all sunshine and roses in a time like this.

Around the Network

Ya know what I find amusing - comments about how Wii isn't stealing PS3's demographic - I've seen em in this thread and in a lot of other threads.

They always look back at PS2's 130-140 million userbase and seriously believe that PS3 will easily reach that because the PS2 users are "going to upgrade eventually"

People need to start realizing just how big the "casual" userbase of the PS2 was - PS2 was THE casual system last gen. Therefore, a vast majority of the userbase was casual gamers - the same casual gamers who's hearts were won over by the Wii this gen.

If you want proof, just look at the game sales last gen - the highest selling games are GTAs - which are "not" hardcore games, they are as mainstream as games get. The highest selling games in "hardcore" genres of games are Final Fantasy X (7.95mil) and Metal Gear Solid 2 (5.58mil). There's a lot of racing but I have trouble considering racing "Hardcore" because most of the people I know who play Racing games, ONLY play racing games.

So consider this - "Hardcore games" on PS2 sold on average to less that 1/10th of the userbase, (therefore, you could estimate that less that 1/10 of the PS2 userbase were "hardcore" gamers).

Coming back to the OP - can a they "seriously" claim to be the driving force of the industry when so much of their past userbase (and potential future sales) has moved to another console.

If we remove Nintendo and look purely at Microsoft and Sony (because the Wii won like 2 years ago) then i wonder if Mr Sony Chairman would swap plces with Mr Microsoft Chairman right now?

Naum said:
Mr.Y said:
steverhcp02 said:
folks, you can call it denial but the reason the Wii is selling like this is because its different.....the general public, my grandparents and my aunts and uncles, my coworkers and fellow students dont view it as a videogame system in the traditional sense...

I agree. Look at the top 10 software units for the Wii and you will see that none of them are even games.

Now I have read and quoted the most stupid thing I have ever seen....

Sir, I think you need to restrain your jump to hyperbole.

Zlejedi said:
It's hard to not be sly when only arguments for your console are "it sells great , has motion control and my grandma can play it too" :D

Damn this thread has brought out the trolls in full force.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network

Hirai's just doing his job - though he's moving the goalposts for victory so damn far that I can no longer see them.

emilie autumn said:
why do top executive from sony and microsoft exclude nintendo as if the wii is not an actual console?

i think they see as a harley davidson vs mercedez venz vs jaguar

mercedez and jagua dont care what harley sales. i think thats how MS and sony see nintendo.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

This is a sad little man desperately clinging to hope that is not there

In the modern world of tec trying to stick with a “ten year” life cycle is a kiss of death

If you don’t believe me try comparing something like a cell phone---go on give me a ten year old cell phone compared to a brand new one and tell me which one has better service, better features, better everything

And that same model can be applied to the game industry I mean look at the tec in the ps1 (which lasted more then 10 years) compared to the Ps3—

If sony wants to stick with it for 10 years and Microsoft ahs proven they care more about keep tec current how scary will it be to see the xbox 1080 compared to the ps3---the 10880 will dwarf it in all regards

Why would you want to keep a product that long sony?

Hmmm?

Already there are processors out on the market faster then the cell

Already there is ram option that work better

Already there is media being developed larger then the blu

Already there is wifi faster and more reliable

Already there is resolution higher then 1080p

And that all came out with in one year of your machine hitting the market

And you are still convinced that in ten (let alone five) years that your machine will still be big stuff……

Sad

Khuutra said:
Hirai's just doing his job - though he's moving the goalposts for victory so damn far that I can no longer see them.

That's because they are set 7 years, 9 months, 2 weeks and 5 days in the future. ;)

Tempus fugit Nintendo manet.

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Member - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Regular - Pass 2k
Level 4 - Addicted - Pass 5k
Level 5 - Obsessed - Pass 10k
Level 6 - Old Guard - Pass 20k
Level 7 - Legend - Pass 50k
Level 8 - Demi-God - Pass 100k
Level 9 - God - Pass 250k
Level 10 - Zeus - Pass 500k

New Table:

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Rookie - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Padawan - Pass 10k
Level 4 - Sea Dog - Pass 25k
Level 5 - Captain - Pass 50k
Level 6 - Agent - Pass 100k
Level 7 - Elite - Pass 175k
Level 8 - Hero - Pass 250k
Level 9 - Legend - Pass 500k
Level 10 - Titan - Pass 1 Million

Also explain to me how NPD says that 70% of Wii owners had a PS2?

The PS2 at least in the end had a big part of the "casual" crowd, that is now owned by the Wii no question. On the other hand the PS3 at 400$ with a BluRay drive is hardly trying to reach this target group at the moment. I won't argue that Sony would like to have it but until the price is much smaller and they have some more games than SingStar and Buzz to capture this crowd they are not competing for this market in earnest. The Ps3 is not competing in all markets the PS2 owned. Of course there is some overlap but more or less the market that was owned by the PS2 has been split into two this gen. And at least until now the one half is fought upon between Ps3 and 360 and the other half is owned by the wii. And yes there are some Zelda fans marooned on the Wii half and some casuals have been captured by the Singstar Ps3. But if you look at the western games announced for Wii and Ps360 it is clear that the publishers and developers are coming to the same conclusion.