By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony: The PS2 is outselling the Wii! (Wait, what?)

I was actually shocked by Tretton's appearance at E3 because he was so modest in comparison to everyone else at Sony, and I remember thinking that they all needed to act more like him. So yeah, Tretton's said some stupid things in the past, but it looks like he learns from his mistakes.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

This certainly is a rather silly claim, but I do want to point out that there ARE good Sony execs.

.......Good Sony execs? Dude that's an oxymoron you just wrote :P. Even if such a breed does exist, which rock are they hiding under? Can't really recall the last time anyone from Sony said something that wouldn't deserve the Irish Bull. It's almost like a conspiracy. There must have been a meeting between Kaz Hirai and Harrison some time ago in which they decided to redeploy the smarter employees to, let's say, Trinidad&Tobago. All for the sake of keeping the company one-minded in terms of the PS3 :P 

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

Mitsuhide: those numbers are from september to march, but there is one little thing... Wii launched in late november...

I knowPs3 is still selling great, and that's great, but those comments are really wrong... I don't know if he thinks that everybody will believe him just because of his position. But we are in the Internet age, where information is spread like wildfire. There are informed people out ther, and this guy should know that.

It was funny too when he said they began working in home three years ago and copied nobody, when myspace and second life werealready created...

I know those numbers are from September to March i even stated that in my post but even a month the Wii wouldnt sell 1million in Others(PAL) so the PS2 outsold it there but in NA it would have been closer and JPN the Wii had aalready outsold the PS2.
How is Home even remotely copied from myspace i can see where Home is copied from Second Life but you could say Second Life copied the Sims and all MMORPG's and since as anything been really innovative everyone copies off someone whether they are known or not.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Viper1 said:
Stringer is the only one that holds his tongue. But the great thing about Stringer is he fully acknowledges the other consoles and even considers them valuable competition.

The other big Sony execs (and the whole PR team for that matter) spew the worst lines I've ever heard in the industry.

MS execs, notably Peter Moore back when he was with MS, made a few digs here and there.

I've rarely ever heard brash comments from Nintendo and it was mostly Yamauchi back in the ego days.

As a general rule, Nintendo is far too classy to spend their time bashing the other console manufacturers ... Miyamoto even said he bought his son a PS2 (although he also said his work at Nintendo kept him too busy to play many games on it himself). Typically, Nintendo will respond to leading questions about the console wars with an answer along the lines of "We believe that they have created a quality product but do not believe that it is the correct direction for Nintendo" ...

Some of Nintendo's executives will boast when given the opportunity though; Reggie Fils Aime (or Reggie Boy-Love in English) is such an executive and at GDC this year:

"Kick his ass and take his name! ” someone shouted. “Who?” answered Reggie. “Phil Harrison, front row!” Sure enough, there was Phil Harrison, seated dead center, front row. With a grin and a chuckle, Reggie replies, “Some would say we’ve already done that.”

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Viper1 said:
Stringer is the only one that holds his tongue. But the great thing about Stringer is he fully acknowledges the other consoles and even considers them valuable competition.

The other big Sony execs (and the whole PR team for that matter) spew the worst lines I've ever heard in the industry.

MS execs, notably Peter Moore back when he was with MS, made a few digs here and there.

I've rarely ever heard brash comments from Nintendo and it was mostly Yamauchi back in the ego days.

As a general rule, Nintendo is far too classy to spend their time bashing the other console manufacturers ... Miyamoto even said he bought his son a PS2 (although he also said his work at Nintendo kept him too busy to play many games on it himself). Typically, Nintendo will respond to leading questions about the console wars with an answer along the lines of "We believe that they have created a quality product but do not believe that it is the correct direction for Nintendo" ...

Some of Nintendo's executives will boast when given the opportunity though; Reggie Fils Aime (or Reggie Boy-Love in English) is such an executive and at GDC this year:

"Kick his ass and take his name! ” someone shouted. “Who?” answered Reggie. “Phil Harrison, front row!” Sure enough, there was Phil Harrison, seated dead center, front row. With a grin and a chuckle, Reggie replies, “Some would say we’ve already done that.”

Thats a great quote i think the success kinda went to Reggie's head there though. 

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Reggie's always been that way, though. And honestly, right now can you blame him? The Wii is sort of crushing the PS3 right now, he's earned the right to make a few jokes here and there.

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

HappySqurriel said:
Viper1 said:

As a general rule, Nintendo is far too classy to spend their time bashing the other console manufacturers ... Miyamoto even said he bought his son a PS2 (although he also said his work at Nintendo kept him too busy to play many games on it himself). Typically, Nintendo will respond to leading questions about the console wars with an answer along the lines of "We believe that they have created a quality product but do not believe that it is the correct direction for Nintendo" ...

Some of Nintendo's executives will boast when given the opportunity though; Reggie Fils Aime (or Reggie Boy-Love in English) is such an executive and at GDC this year:

Definitely some arrogance there, no doubt about it.

But the two major differences are that it was said in jest and there is nothing factually wrong about it...there are some people who would say that.

I would actually love to see some similarly outlandish Nintendo exec quotes. I have a feeling they are thinking some pretty outlandish things but I think Nintendo does a very good job of making sure their people keep there lips in check. Makes for far less entertainment for us though...

To Each Man, Responsibility

I only things I really know of is when someone from Nintendo stated that the Wii wouldn't be region locked in an interview. A lot of people were quite upset when it ended up being system locked.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

Sqrl said:
HappySqurriel said:
Viper1 said:

As a general rule, Nintendo is far too classy to spend their time bashing the other console manufacturers ... Miyamoto even said he bought his son a PS2 (although he also said his work at Nintendo kept him too busy to play many games on it himself). Typically, Nintendo will respond to leading questions about the console wars with an answer along the lines of "We believe that they have created a quality product but do not believe that it is the correct direction for Nintendo" ...

Some of Nintendo's executives will boast when given the opportunity though; Reggie Fils Aime (or Reggie Boy-Love in English) is such an executive and at GDC this year:

Definitely some arrogance there, no doubt about it.

But the two major differences are that it was said in jest and there is nothing factually wrong about it...there are some people who would say that.

I would actually love to see some similarly outlandish Nintendo exec quotes. I have a feeling they are thinking some pretty outlandish things but I think Nintendo does a very good job of making sure their people keep there lips in check. Makes for far less entertainment for us though...

Personally, I would say that this comment in particular was on the border between being confident and cocky ... Being that it was more of a playful comment and that what he said was factually correct I would say it was probably on the confident side of the line.

Most of the outlandish quotes that Nintendo ever made were through their former CEO Hiroshi Yamauchi durring the mid to late 90's ... The one difference between him and many of Sony's current executives is that he made a similar number of arrogant comments through out his multi-decade career as the Sony executives have made in the past year.