By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Wii need to outsell PS3 + 360 to lure 3rd parties?

RolStoppable said:

I think the Wii has to outsell the PS3/360 combined to lure 3rd parties. Until it hasn't done that some or most 3rd party publishers still may think that it could be a fad and it's safer to make the big established franchise sequels for the HD consoles.

If the Wii achieves the dominant position in this generation they will be pretty much forced to make their big games for the Wii which will most likely result in exclusives since 1)porting games between Wii and 360/PS3 simply doesn't work well. These games won't show up before 2009 though, since a lot of big games are still in development for 360/PS3. Biggest userbase combined with lowest development costs = maximum profits.

As for the question whether the Wii will outsell the 360 and PS3 combined:

I expect the Wii to pass the combined numbers of 360/PS3 in March 2008, if there are no price drops. At the end of 2009 the Wii should have double the install base than the 360/PS3 combined and when all is said and done in this generation 2)I expect the Wii to have at least tripled the sales of 360/PS3 combined.

Sounds crazy, but John Lucas did such a poor job with his SSMB prediction, hehe.

1) I'm actually hoping that we'll sart to see Wii versions of 360/PS3 games. The story, art, gameplay machanics etc. are all there, all devs need to do is put them into a Wii engine and they're done. It may cost more than the reported 10% a normal port costs but look at the install base they are accessing! Fingers crossed!

2)That's PS2 style dominance, quite a prediction, especially considering Wiis don't break too often! Though we won't know til winter 2016 when PS3 hits 10 years:)

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

Around the Network

Most of you are only thinking in units sold, you need to consider profit.  I am 99% that Ubisoft made more money selling 1million Rabbids or Red Steel, than they did on any of these (individually).

Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Advanced WarfighterUbisoft0.021.290.692.00
Tom Clancy Rainbow Six: VegasUbisoft0.031.060.641.73
Tom Clancy Ghost Recon: Advanced WarfighterUbisoft0.001.320.001.32
Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2Ubisoft0.000.550.481.03
Tom Clancy Splinter Cell: Double AgentUbisoft0.020.640.361.02

Reasons?  Mostly production costs, but there is also the Licensing for Tom Clancy IPs, Online maintance to MS for LIVE servers.

MS still has the advantage of the number of titles and the diversity of third parties, but how long will that last? (rhetorical)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

I think there are three factors. One, the Wii's sucess caught dev's by suprise. Analysts thought the Wii wouldn't meet its target goals. Instead, the Wii has actaully exceeded these goals. Two, developers fear competing with ninedos AAA first party titles.
I don't believe it is becuase it is easier to make for 360/ps3. I would imagine if Wii was the leader, it would be worthwhile to port to the Wii as well.
As for exclusives, I feel it is the two reasons above that are holding developers back.

yes the wii has to be outselling both in install base to lure skeptical 3rd parties, but even now some have startted 2 increase support for wii... bt when its got more install base then both 360 and ps3 combined it will seal its place as this gens 'top dog'

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

robjoh said:
Hus said:
Biggerboat said:
Hus said:
Well for one they can expect better sales on 360/PS3 then wii.

Can it out sale both, PS2 did double what its competition combined did. Its possible but will it, no.

I wouldn't be so sure.

When Wii launched it must have been something like 7-8 mill behind 360 + PS3 & now it's around 4. If it continues at anywahere close to this pace then it will pass the sum of the 2 consoles sooner rather than later. Wii's attach ratio is also pretty damn good which helps.

I think Wii needs to force devs to develop for it as they would rather make games that they know will be recieved well than ones which are based around a new interface, aimed at an enigmatic and mixed user base.

Just use vg numbers and take a look at multi platform game sales on PS3/360/wii. 360/Ps3 attach rate is better.

The new Madden will show how things are.

The problem with this idea is that you are saying that the multiplatgames is what 3rd party should look at. Red Steel and Rayman has both sold 1 million WW. No 3rd party has done that on PS3.

Of course 360 is another beast, but to state that Wii:s software sales is bas is actualy false.

AS Biggerboat also said, there is games that actualy sold better on Wii than PS3. Potter is one (at least in UK), The bigs did great.

How about they look at their own numbers, EAs Need for speed carbon numbers.

190K on Wii, 300k on PS3, 1 million on 360

Now do you really wonder why Burnout Paradise a huge Ip for EA is PS3/360 and not on the wii ?

Around the Network
Hus said:
robjoh said:
Hus said:
Biggerboat said:
Hus said:

Hw about they look at their own numbers, EAs Need for speed carbon number.

Now do you really wonder why Burnout Paradise a huge Ip for EA is PS3/360 and not on the wii ?

You're looking at 1 game.

Being a PS3 fan why don't you compare it's best selling 3rd party games to Wii's? Devs have put more resources into PS3 than Wii yet have had far less return. The 360 is PS3's biggest lifeline imo.

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

Why would a developer make a game for any system? For the $$$$ of course.

Developers can get money in two ways-
1. through sales of their game

2. $$$ from the console makers ( sony, MS, nintendo). Sony/MS will frequently promise a payment in addition to the normal royalties that developers get from making a game. They may pay it before the game has been made, such as in the case of a franchise like the Final Fantasy or Tekken series, or they may wait until they see a substantial portion of the game finished. Either way, its money in the bank.

Thats what it really boils down to, and of course, sony and MS haven't been selling as much as nintendo has lately, but they've still gotten a fair share of 3rd party development. So, sony has obviously been very generous lately, and microsoft has as well but to a lesser degree. Nintendo could afford to be the least generous while still having 3rd parties come to them for good games.

Soriku said:
^ Oh, wow, 1 crappy game.

ohh wow great post, yahh one.

Madden 07
PS3 - 420k
360 - 1.7 million
Wii - 390k

Call of duty 3
PS3 - 310k
360 - 1.6 million
Wii - 330k

Cal of Duty4 - NO Wii version.

@Hus

I think you missed my point totaly. I was saying that a dev for Wii shouldn't make a port from PS3/x360/PS2/PSP or whatever they should build their game from the start for the Wii.

Last time I checked (that was some where around marsch/april I think) and I think it was you and I that had the same conversation. Then as now I stated that 3rd party Wii had sold more totally than all software sales for PS3 in USA. Since then things hasn't been that much better for PS3.

Look I am not saying that PS3 + xbox360 is selling worse than Wii. I am saying that software sales on Wii is good and if you make an effort you can strike gold.

It is also nice to see that you are always pulling those 3rd party games that has sold more on PS3 than Wii and not everyone. What about Tiger Woods Wii? It has sold 350k in USA alone (PS3 183k), UK should have moved at least another 100k looking how long that game has been on the chart. OR why not Sonic Wii against Sonic PS3? Potter has on Wii sold 2x the amount on PS2!

EDIT:

@thread 

By the way don't assume that it is easy to port between PS3 and xbox360, I think that the delays during the last weeks for PS3 is if something enough to prove that it isn't the simplest thing to do. There is big difference in the design of the CPU for xbox360 and PS3.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Biggerboat said:
Hus said:
robjoh said:
Hus said:
Biggerboat said:
Hus said:

Hw about they look at their own numbers, EAs Need for speed carbon number.

You're looking at 1 game.

Being a PS3 fan why don't you compare it's best selling 3rd party games to Wii's? Devs have put more resources into PS3 than Wii yet have had far less return. The 360 is PS3's biggest lifeline imo.

Whats the thread about ?

Why dont you compare the best selling shooter on all 3 consoles ? 

And think why "2K Games is Bringing Borderlands to Xbox 360, PS3 and PC" with no wii version.