By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Wii need to outsell PS3 + 360 to lure 3rd parties?

The tme is at hand when Wii will pass the current market leader and claim number 1 spot yet in comparison to it's 2 competitor's 3rd party support, in investment at least, it is still trailing. A logical reason for this is that Wii's unprecedented success has taken the development world by surprise and that the current superior HD lineup is just a result of green lights given to projects at a time when PS3 was seen as the inevitable victor, but maybe there's more.

Devs must have seen the motion-controlled writing on the wall for a while now yet the biggest games announced in the wake of Wii's success have been imo slightly dissapointing spin-offs to Soul Caliber and Resident Evil(if I remember correctly No More Heroes & FFCC were announced around launch). Why is it then that multiple big budget games have been announced for PS3/360 and not Wii?

My theory is that devs are effectively seeing the 2 HD consoles as 1. 10 mill may be an amazing milestone for Wii to hit in 9 months but it still falls about 4 short of 360 + PS3's total install base. Take into account also that dev's probably have a clearer idea of what sells on the traditional consoles and it may mean that for Wii to take centre stage in 3rd parties plans it has to dominate not 1 but both of it's competitors combined to truly succeed.

I think Wii is swimming against the tide and still has significant targets to hit before it can claim this gen as it's own. Whether it can outsell both consoles long term is a lot to ask but I think it is integral to N reclaiming the top spot in dev's affections.

Can Wii outsell not 1 but 2 of it's rivals combined? What do you guys think?

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

Around the Network

Well for one they can expect better sales on 360/PS3 then wii.

Can it out sale both, PS2 did double what its competition combined did. Its possible but will it, no.

I think it will help to get the big budget titles.

However, I think it will get lots of support as far as casual, on-rails, spin-offs, new-genres, puzzle/hand-eye coordination, etc even if it levels off around Gamecube level (which I don't think it will). Also it can be a place for smaller developers to develop "big" games because it is cheaper to make them and there won't be as much big game competition.

I also see Wii becoming the place for JRPGs like the DS has, smaller or diverse companies can't compete with the larger more focused Square-Enix on the HD consoles. Square Enix will still dominate JRPGs on Wii, but Wii will be more competitve due to lower dev costs.

(/fortune telling)

(EDIT: I didn't see that bridge on the way in...) 

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Hus said:

Can it out sale both, PS2 did double what its competition combined did. Its possible but will it, no.

I wouldn't be so sure.

When Wii launched it must have been something like 7-8 mill behind 360 + PS3 & now it's around 4. If it continues at anywahere close to this pace then it will pass the sum of the 2 consoles sooner rather than  later. Wii's attach ratio is also pretty damn good which helps.

I think Wii needs to force devs to develop for it as they would rather make games that they know will be recieved well than ones which are based around a new interface, aimed at an enigmatic and mixed user base. 

Hus said:

I think part of the reason is though x360 may sell less, its great attach rate insures games will still be sold. And ps3 games were banked on because of the success of ps2.

But i think the biggest reason is Nintendo is not as good at dealing with third parties. Sony's a schmoozer, its amazing that the ps1 mananged to capture so much 1st party support in so little time, and microsoft has teh shinies. But Nintendo's treatment of 3rd parties has been shaky in the past and downright bad when it was on top (in the nes/snes era). No wonder third parties are wary of nintendo gaining marketshare.

Around the Network
Biggerboat said:
Hus said:

I wouldn't be so sure.

When Wii launched it must have been something like 7-8 mill behind 360 + PS3 & now it's around 4. If it continues at anywahere close to this pace then it will pass the sum of the 2 consoles sooner rather than later. Wii's attach ratio is also pretty damn good which helps.

I think Wii needs to force devs to develop for it as they would rather make games that they know will be recieved well than ones which are based around a new interface, aimed at an enigmatic and mixed user base.

Just use vg numbers and take a look at multi platform game sales on PS3/360/wii. 360/Ps3 attach rate is better.

The new Madden will show how things are.

What makes you say that? A bigger install base implies a greater likelihood for better sales. If the Wii sells better than the 360 and PS3 combined, its install base holds the prospect for far better sales.

As it stands right now, the Wii sells more than the 360 and PS3 combined on a weekly basis (~230k vs. ~150k). If it weren't for the 360's head start, it would already be far ahead of the combined total.

For the record, the PS3 attach rate is pretty poor at the moment, the 360's is doing well, though.  So yes, the 360/PS3 attach rate is better, with no help from the PS3. 

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

Hus said:
Biggerboat said:
Hus said:

Just use vg numbers and take a look at multi platform game sales on PS3/360/wii. 360/Ps3 attach rate is better.

Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure Harry Potter, The Bigs & RRR sold better on Wii than others. I'm sure there are more.

Hus said:

Hus said:
Biggerboat said:
Hus said:

I wouldn't be so sure.

When Wii launched it must have been something like 7-8 mill behind 360 + PS3 & now it's around 4. If it continues at anywahere close to this pace then it will pass the sum of the 2 consoles sooner rather than later. Wii's attach ratio is also pretty damn good which helps.

I think Wii needs to force devs to develop for it as they would rather make games that they know will be recieved well than ones which are based around a new interface, aimed at an enigmatic and mixed user base.

The problem with this idea is that you are saying that the multiplatgames is what 3rd party should look at. Red Steel and Rayman has both sold 1 million WW. No 3rd party has done that on PS3.

Of course 360 is another beast, but to state that Wii:s software sales is bas is actualy false.

AS Biggerboat also said, there is games that actualy sold better on Wii than PS3. Potter is one (at least in UK), The bigs did great. 

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

It already has the attention of some, and it never will have all (nor should, competition is great)... To really go crazy, it would have to be outselling monthly PS2+PS3+X360 (don't forget new PS2 sales is often > PS3 sales), and for the user base to be > then PS2+PS3+X360... Plus it takes 1-2 or more years for *major* developments to change, so you are really underestimating how many 3rd parties have already been lured... If trends contnue in wii favor this holiday season (big if due to Nintendo unable to increase production), it will be very clear one year from now.