By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Wii need to outsell PS3 + 360 to lure 3rd parties?

I thought Wii 3rd party support was amazing and it had exploded.... when I bitched about it people jumped on me but now people are discussing this? interesting.

If Ubisoft thinks putting Rabbids on Wii is where the money is they will make more Rabbids on Wii, it doesn't mean they will bring Assassin's Creed to Wii...

If 3rd parties think that the Wii is mostly good for Nintendo first party and 1st/3rd party casual games that's what most of the 3rd party games will be.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
Biggerboat said:

My theory is that devs are effectively seeing the 2 HD consoles as 1. 10 mill may be an amazing milestone for Wii to hit in 9 months but it still falls about 4 short of 360 + PS3's total install base. Take into account also that dev's probably have a clearer idea of what sells on the traditional consoles and it may mean that for Wii to take centre stage in 3rd parties plans it has to dominate not 1 but both of it's competitors combined to truly succeed. 

I think developers are seeing it more as PC/360/PS3 vs. Wii/PS2.  Also the vast majority of gamers on the 360 and PS3 seem to be attracted to big budget story driven games while the Wii is still a big unknown for many third parties.  I think many of them simply don't understand what to do with the Wii yet.  They're probably thinking it's far more lucrative on the Wii to make casual games and hope to strike gold with one of them.  They're also probably not sure if the Nintendo hardcore will warm of to the types of games some of them are offering.  I see many Nintendo hardcore even in this forum say they don't like first person shooters or many of the types of games seen on the PS3 and 360 so why should developers make them for the Wii if that's the case?

robjoh said:
Hus said:
robjoh said:

This is assuming that everyone wants to make a shooter or buying one and that is at least what I am trying to say. What is the intressting part? To see a multiplat title like COD3 or 4 on Wii or to play Z & W?

If you answer COD3/4 I think we are looking at two different kinds of 3rd party support. I want games that should take the Wii another path than xbox360 and PS3. According to me 3rd party should in an econmical standpoint release fps for xbox360 (personally I for the momentat least think PS3 isn't as important than 360), and make other genres for Wii. Of course I will probarbly end upp owning both RE:UC or similar on Wii, but the main game I want is still Z & W types of games.

You should also look at the players owning the consol and ask what can we give those players that they want? Well for the first why isn't it a single boxing game out? Where is VT? Where is a decent baseball game? Because this is what the sales numbers shows, we are selling golf games, they are selling the odd games (Trauma Center and so on) and that is what at least I want the Wii for.

Thats nice and all. But other then Nintendo, most don't know how to do that.

So when the meeting to break down development money happnens. Do they take the safe root make a PS3/360 shooter sale 2 million, or risk pulling a boogie on the wii ?

Is all fps selling 2 millions? Looking at the xbox360 charts I see a total of 21 games above 1 million (shipped) PS3 2 games above 1 million.

If you think that their exist only 23 games on xbox360 and PS3 be my guest.

The good ones are selling well, whats you point.

Maybe you want to use multi platfoem shooter sales to make your point ?

Or is it that you dont want big budget games on the wii ?

Hus said:
robjoh said:
Hus said:
robjoh said:

Look I am not saying that PS3 + xbox360 is selling worse than Wii. I am saying that software sales on Wii is good and if you make an effort you can strike gold.

Problem is most of them don't know how to do that. They build these high price next gen engines, they have these big game ideas for these powerfull HD consoles games. What they hell are they supposed to make on the wii ?

Nintendo is screaming casual gamers causal gamers from the roof tops but 3rd part are not great at making games for that demographics. Wii is a scary unknown weird dangerous thing for them, Ps3/360/PC is safe.

Are you sure that PS3 and xbox360 is safe? The gaming bugett for those plattforms is going way over the top and the hardware sales isn't that impressive. That the devs have to put PC on the plattform to really show the way is saying everything.

The only groups that can survive on the xbox360/PS3 for the moment is those devs that get funded by Microsoft/Sony or is large enough to take the development cost. Small dev groups, example Atlus, will not afford the cost for developing for PS3 or the xbox360.

If a game like boggie sells 50k, it should be more than enough. If a high budgett game bombs you can say good buy to the whole company.

For big budget titles, yes its safe. As far as dev cost, didn't Red Steel cost 10 million same as Gears ?

If they have to make low cost games they still have the PS2 and the hand helds.

Do you know boogies budget ?

last answer tonight has to go to bed...

The PS2 is on it's last year, the handhelds is actualy THE handheld the DS. Trauma Center on Wii outsold that on DS so why not take the plunge?

IF you belive that boogies game budgett is even close to an high budgett fps you most belive worse in EA than me.

I do think that we will see the most "high budgett epic fps" on PS3 and xbox360, which is fine for me because I am far from a fps fan. I do belive that most of the JRPG:s will be on either DS or Wii. Simply because Wii is owning that markett. 

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Hus said:
Biggerboat said:
Hus said:
robjoh said:
Hus said:
Biggerboat said:
Hus said:

Hw about they look at their own numbers, EAs Need for speed carbon number.

190K on Wii, 300k on PS3, 1 million on 360

Now do you really wonder why Burnout Paradise a huge Ip for EA is PS3/360 and not on the wii ?

You're looking at 1 game.

Being a PS3 fan why don't you compare it's best selling 3rd party games to Wii's? Devs have put more resources into PS3 than Wii yet have had far less return. The 360 is PS3's biggest lifeline imo.

Whats the thread about ?

Why dont you compare the best selling shooter on all 3 consoles ? 

And think why "2K Games is Bringing Borderlands to Xbox 360, PS3 and PC" with no wii version.

Well staying on 3rd party games-

360: GoW - 4.48 mill

PS3: Call of Duty 3 - 0.31 mill??(I'm not sure on this one)

Wii: Red Steel - 1.01 mill

Obviously 360+PS3 dominate Wii on this comparison, overwhelmingly due to 360 but I think you also have to look at the quality of the titles. I'd hope that GoW on Wii would sell better than Red Steel as the latter doesn't compare in quality.

Fact is though Wii has some cathing up to do with 360 + PS3 though certainly not PS3 solely like you seem to be implying.

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

Around the Network
Hus said:
robjoh said:
Hus said:
robjoh said:

This is assuming that everyone wants to make a shooter or buying one and that is at least what I am trying to say. What is the intressting part? To see a multiplat title like COD3 or 4 on Wii or to play Z & W?

If you answer COD3/4 I think we are looking at two different kinds of 3rd party support. I want games that should take the Wii another path than xbox360 and PS3. According to me 3rd party should in an econmical standpoint release fps for xbox360 (personally I for the momentat least think PS3 isn't as important than 360), and make other genres for Wii. Of course I will probarbly end upp owning both RE:UC or similar on Wii, but the main game I want is still Z & W types of games.

You should also look at the players owning the consol and ask what can we give those players that they want? Well for the first why isn't it a single boxing game out? Where is VT? Where is a decent baseball game? Because this is what the sales numbers shows, we are selling golf games, they are selling the odd games (Trauma Center and so on) and that is what at least I want the Wii for.

Thats nice and all. But other then Nintendo, most don't know how to do that.

So when the meeting to break down development money happnens. Do they take the safe root make a PS3/360 shooter sale 2 million, or risk pulling a boogie on the wii ?

Is all fps selling 2 millions? Looking at the xbox360 charts I see a total of 21 games above 1 million (shipped) PS3 2 games above 1 million.

If you think that their exist only 23 games on xbox360 and PS3 be my guest.

The good ones are selling well, whats you point.

Maybe you want to use multi platfoem shooter sales to make your point ?

Or is it that you dont want big budget games on the wii ?

damn I had to take one more answer...

my point is that a fps with a 10 million+ bugett can bomb and 10 million + loss is hard for any company to sustain if they aren't EA. Look at Take-Two their are already now struggling and they have GTA behind them. To many games that sucked with to much bugett and no sales.

If the big budgett game on Wii is the same old shit, no I don't want it. If we with high budgett means a Z&W that was made with a small team than yes.

Look I do like Wii because I see an future on the small dev teams that can give us the odd games, I rather have Trauma center, Z&W and other games made. Than one big fps/RPG/sandbox because I honestly is so bored from what the mainstream to day seems to play. Bought Super Play last week (swedish game mag) it was one fps or one war game after another, I couldn't care less actualy I want something new and I do expect the 3rd party and Nintendo to deliver.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Legend11 said:
Biggerboat said:

My theory is that devs are effectively seeing the 2 HD consoles as 1. 10 mill may be an amazing milestone for Wii to hit in 9 months but it still falls about 4 short of 360 + PS3's total install base. Take into account also that dev's probably have a clearer idea of what sells on the traditional consoles and it may mean that for Wii to take centre stage in 3rd parties plans it has to dominate not 1 but both of it's competitors combined to truly succeed. 

I think developers are seeing it more as PC/360/PS3 vs. Wii/PS2.  Also the vast majority of gamers on the 360 and PS3 seem to be attracted to big budget story driven games while the Wii is still a big unknown for many third parties.  I think many of them simply don't understand what to do with the Wii yet.  They're probably thinking it's far more lucrative on the Wii to make casual games and hope to strike gold with one of them.  They're also probably not sure if the Nintendo hardcore will warm of to the types of games some of them are offering.  I see many Nintendo hardcore even in this forum say they don't like first person shooters or many of the types of games seen on the PS3 and 360 so why should developers make them for the Wii if that's the case?

I think the sample size of vgchartz Wii fans is too small to conclude what the install base as a whole wants. 3rd parties are regularily getting clues as to what Wii owners like through sales. RE4 sales prove that epic, big budget games are welcome, Tiger and Madden also show that sports games are appreciated, Boogie is showing that not every casual game will be a hit. Piece by piece the jigsaw is being put together and it's up to devs to act.

So far I'd say Wii has shown itself to br receptive to almost every type of game.

Hus said:

Using IGN's release dates lists between now and the end of the year there will be 101 third party Wii games released, 55 third party PS3 games released, and 78 third party XBox 360 games released; this is not exactly the best way to determine third party support but it does demonstrate something ...

In 9 months the Wii has gone from having the Worst third party support to having the most third party titles available for it over the holiday season. Certainly, in terms of quality most of the Wii's third party software is crapware and the best development teams are releasing their games for the XBox 360 and PS3 this holiday season but (in all likelyhood) these third party developers began work on these titles between the time the Wiimote was announced at TGS2005 and E3 2006; long before the Wii was released and the popularity was obvious.

Even if the Wii starts to sell slower than the XBox 360 and PS3 in 2008/2009 the (reasonably) large userbase and low development cost will still give it an edge in maintaining and gaining third party support; if the Wii maintains its sales edge it will start to dominate third party support like so many leading consoles before it.

ckmlb said:
1)I thought Wii 3rd party support was amazing and it had exploded.... when I bitched about it people jumped on me but now people are discussing this? interesting.

If Ubisoft thinks putting Rabbids on Wii is where the money is they will make more Rabbids on Wii, it doesn't mean they will bring Assassin's Creed to Wii...

2)If 3rd parties think that the Wii is mostly good for Nintendo first party and 1st/3rd party casual games that's what most of the 3rd party games will be.

1)I think people were making the point that support was increasing which I think is irrefutable. The list may not look too impressive compared to PS3/360 at the moment but you've got to remember Wii was starting from scratch in this department. PS3 would have had multiple, massive games planned before it's specs were even released. That's not to say some people might not prefer Wii's 3rd party lineup depending on taste but in terms of investment Wii is still playing catch up.

2)I think Red Steel & RE4 are proof enough that Wii owners like to experience games outside casual territory. Why aren't there an abundance of examples? How many good traditional games have 3rd parties released?

Hus said:

RolStoppable said:
Biggerboat said:

Make the same core games as before (with or without new control setup) and give new concepts a try. Build the game from the ground up for the Wii to use its horsepower and motion sensing capabilities (if it makes sense for the game) and there you have a game that is able to compete with 1st party titles or at least turns in a good profit.

I'm thinking the same thing, I mean surely some of the big FPS houses must have witnessed the success of the mediocre Red Steel and seen opportunity. 360/PS3 are swarming with this genre and competition is fierce so it has to make business sense to take a chance on Wii. It'll be fascinating to see the inevitable game announcements over the next year or so.

Hus said: