By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Wii need to outsell PS3 + 360 to lure 3rd parties?

HappySqurriel said:

Using IGN's release dates lists between now and the end of the year there will be 101 third party Wii games released, 55 third party PS3 games released, and 78 third party XBox 360 games released; this is not exactly the best way to determine third party support but it does demonstrate something ...

It's definitely not a good way to determine third party support, there's a company called Conspiracy that has 12 games coming for the Wii, they're all budget titles including "Ninjabread Man".  I know it sounds bad but I don't think it's fair to compare games like that to the ones coming out on the 360 and PS3.  There's Activision Value which is basically releasing budget titles on the Wii as well.  Compare those game to practically every PS3 and 360 game which pretty much universally have good budgets.

Around the Network
Biggerboat said:

The tme is at hand when Wii will pass the current market leader and claim number 1 spot yet in comparison to it's 2 competitor's 3rd party support, in investment at least, it is still trailing. A logical reason for this is that Wii's unprecedented success has taken the development world by surprise and that the current superior HD lineup is just a result of green lights given to projects at a time when PS3 was seen as the inevitable victor, but maybe there's more.

My theory is that devs are effectively seeing the 2 HD consoles as 1. 10 mill may be an amazing milestone for Wii to hit in 9 months but it still falls about 4 short of 360 + PS3's total install base. Take into account also that dev's probably have a clearer idea of what sells on the traditional consoles and it may mean that for Wii to take centre stage in 3rd parties plans it has to dominate not 1 but both of it's competitors combined to truly succeed.

Try this analogy and see if you like it:  Think of the large game publishers as big oil tankers or those superlarge cargo ships.  Those ships can turn their rudders and adjust the propeller speed, but they still take miles and miles to start going in the new direction.  Putting more energy into making the turn does run into diminishing returns at some point. 

I think that most of the independent publishers are doing all they reasonably can to switch focus to the Wii.  (Not all of them will bother to make actually good games, but that's the price of popularity.)  But that process takes time, and they can only speed it up so much before they are burning more energy to make the switch than it's worth. 

Even if the Wii was selling 10 million a month it would be the same story, but with even more crappy ports and quick-and-dirty casual games.  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Depends on the games. Sports and racings games will probably sell better on PS3 + x360 but game like j-rpg that mostly sell in Japan will sell better on Wii because Wii install base > PS3 + x360. There's is also the development and port cost. Even if a games sells more on the PS360 it doesn't mean that the developer will make more profit because the dev cost is probably much more then to do a game on Wii and porting game from the x360 to ps3 doesn't seams to be that easy either so the cost might go up a bit. There's is also possibility to port Wii game to PS2 which could cost less and sell more then to make a game for ps360. I think that starting next year will see more game for wii from japan and more game for ps360 for US and Euro.

konohamaru said:
Depends on the games. Sports and racings games will probably sell better on PS3 + x360 but game like j-rpg that mostly sell in Japan will sell better on Wii because Wii install base > PS3 + x360. There's is also the development and port cost. Even if a games sells more on the PS360 it doesn't mean that the developer will make more profit because the dev cost is probably much more then to do a game on Wii and porting game from the x360 to ps3 doesn't seams to be that easy either so the cost might go up a bit. There's is also possibility to port Wii game to PS2 which could cost less and sell more then to make a game for ps360. I think that starting next year will see more game for wii from japan and more game for ps360 for US and Euro.

Disagree, I am pretty confident that a tennis game on Wii would sell more than a tennis game on PS3/xbox360.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

robjoh said:

Disagree, I am pretty confident that a tennis game on Wii would sell more than a tennis game on PS3/xbox360.

I don't know looking at Wii sports sale maybe your right but a lot of sports fans seams to give a lot of importance to realistic graphics, physics and AI. I just can't think of a sports game from EA that will sell better on Wii then on a PS360. I think for any games to sell better on Wii the gameplay would have to be really original and the problem I see with most sport and racing games is that there gameplay has almost never changed since they were introduce more then decades ago.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
HappySqurriel said:

Using IGN's release dates lists between now and the end of the year there will be 101 third party Wii games released, 55 third party PS3 games released, and 78 third party XBox 360 games released; this is not exactly the best way to determine third party support but it does demonstrate something ...

It's definitely not a good way to determine third party support, there's a company called Conspiracy that has 12 games coming for the Wii, they're all budget titles including "Ninjabread Man".  I know it sounds bad but I don't think it's fair to compare games like that to the ones coming out on the 360 and PS3.  There's Activision Value which is basically releasing budget titles on the Wii as well.  Compare those game to practically every PS3 and 360 game which pretty much universally have good budgets.

Those value games aren't going to sell 200K copies but they don't need to.  The reason why Wii is appealing to 3rd parties (other than market share) is budget.  They can make cheap games.

I understand you are concerned with quality software, but companies and Christmas shoppers aren't.  The average budget constrained consumer sees a stack of new $20 games for a new $250 console and are happy.

PS3 and 360 have many many crappy games too.  The differences? More hardcore appeal, a $10 million budget and a $60 price tag.

Oh and Ninjabread Man is going to sell 100k.  It will also spawn higher budget sequels (like Spyro did).  I can understand some people's distaste for NBM, but the novelty has alot value to some.  It's expected that the "hardcore" 360 and PS3 gamers will raise there noses to the game.  They are too cool to be playing games like that, unless it is a sequel.  :P

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

konohamaru said:
robjoh said:

I don't know looking at Wii sports sale maybe your right but a lot of sports fans seams to give a lot of importance to realistic graphics, physics and AI. I just can't think of a sports game from EA that will sell better on Wii then on a PS360. I think for any games to sell better on Wii the gameplay would have to be really original and the problem I see with most sport and racing games is that there gameplay has almost never changed since they were introduce more then decades ago.

AS far as I know Tiger Woods is selling better on Wii than xbox360 and PS3.

robjoh said:
konohamaru said:
robjoh said:

i think it's: x360 = 410 000, wii = 380 000, ps3 = 180 000

Hus said:

How about they look at their own numbers, EAs Need for speed carbon numbers.

190K on Wii, 300k on PS3, 1 million on 360

Now do you really wonder why Burnout Paradise a huge Ip for EA is PS3/360 and not on the wii ?

Madden 07
PS3 - 420k
360 - 1.7 million
Wii - 390k

Call of duty 3
PS3 - 310k
360 - 1.6 million
Wii - 330k

Cal of Duty4 - NO Wii version.

I don't normally like to come into a debate this late, but this is such an atrociously missleading statement.

Need for Speed: Carbon: was released at launch well befor install base for either the PS3 or Wii were anywhere near levels that are indicative of the current situation. This is simply a horrible indicator of the future and using it as such goes far beyond just missleading.

US Release Dates: {360 - Oct 31 2006}, {Wii - Nov 19 2006}, {PS3 - Nov 16 2006}

Madden 07: First of all, everyone pretty much accepts that madden's home turf is the 360, but add to that that it had a 3 months software sales lead and a full year hardware sales lead before that and this is once again very missleading...even more so than the need for speed carbon example.

US Release Dates: {360 - Aug 22 2006}, {Wii - Nov 14 2006}, {PS3 - Nov 14 2006}

Call of Duty 3: Same thing here with the dates, you pick games that give clear cut huge advantages to the 360 and then you try to lump the PS3/360 together to raise the PS3 above where it is.

US Release Dates: {360 - Oct 7 2006}, {Wii - Nov 19 2006}, {PS3 - Nov 17 2006}

Just to be clear, I am in no way saying the 360 had an unfair advantage only that these games are useless as indicators of future software sales breakdowns.

To Each Man, Responsibility
konohamaru said:
robjoh said:
konohamaru said:
robjoh said:

i think it's: x360 = 410 000, wii = 380 000, ps3 = 180 000

and the x360 version hasn't been out longer? the only one of those games that is on the rankings is the Wii version.