By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Wii need to outsell PS3 + 360 to lure 3rd parties?

Hus said:
robjoh said:
Hus said:
Biggerboat said:
Hus said:
Well for one they can expect better sales on 360/PS3 then wii.

Can it out sale both, PS2 did double what its competition combined did. Its possible but will it, no.

I wouldn't be so sure.

When Wii launched it must have been something like 7-8 mill behind 360 + PS3 & now it's around 4. If it continues at anywahere close to this pace then it will pass the sum of the 2 consoles sooner rather than later. Wii's attach ratio is also pretty damn good which helps.

I think Wii needs to force devs to develop for it as they would rather make games that they know will be recieved well than ones which are based around a new interface, aimed at an enigmatic and mixed user base.

Just use vg numbers and take a look at multi platform game sales on PS3/360/wii. 360/Ps3 attach rate is better.

The new Madden will show how things are.

The problem with this idea is that you are saying that the multiplatgames is what 3rd party should look at. Red Steel and Rayman has both sold 1 million WW. No 3rd party has done that on PS3.

Of course 360 is another beast, but to state that Wii:s software sales is bas is actualy false.

AS Biggerboat also said, there is games that actualy sold better on Wii than PS3. Potter is one (at least in UK), The bigs did great.

How about they look at their own numbers, EAs Need for speed carbon numbers.

190K on Wii, 300k on PS3, 1 million on 360

Now do you really wonder why Burnout Paradise a huge Ip for EA is PS3/360 and not on the wii ?

That's an unfair comparison. Just look at the gamerankings numbers for each:

X360: 78.0%

PS3: 74.8%

Wii: 65.4%

EA focused most of their efforts on the PS2, 360, and PS3 versions, while the Wii version was just a quick-and-dirty PS2 port with tacked-on motion controls that didn't work well. So, of course the Wii version didn't sell as much as the other two; it sucked.

As they say, garbage in, garbage out. Or, in this case, garbage development, garbage sales. 

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network
robjoh said:

Look I am not saying that PS3 + xbox360 is selling worse than Wii. I am saying that software sales on Wii is good and if you make an effort you can strike gold.

Problem is most of them don't know how to do that.  They build these high price next gen engines, they have these big game ideas for these powerfull HD consoles games.  What they hell are they supposed to make on the wii ?

Nintendo is screaming casual gamers causal gamers from the roof tops but 3rd part are not great at making games for that demographics.  Wii is a scary unknown weird dangerous thing for them, Ps3/360/PC is safe.

Hus said:
Biggerboat said:
Hus said:
robjoh said:
Hus said:
Biggerboat said:
Hus said:

Hw about they look at their own numbers, EAs Need for speed carbon number.

190K on Wii, 300k on PS3, 1 million on 360

Now do you really wonder why Burnout Paradise a huge Ip for EA is PS3/360 and not on the wii ?

You're looking at 1 game.

Being a PS3 fan why don't you compare it's best selling 3rd party games to Wii's? Devs have put more resources into PS3 than Wii yet have had far less return. The 360 is PS3's biggest lifeline imo.

Whats the thread about ?

Why dont you compare the best selling shooter on all 3 consoles ?

And think why "2K Games is Bringing Borderlands to Xbox 360, PS3 and PC" with no wii version.

This is assuming that everyone wants to make a shooter or buying one and that is at least what I am trying to say. What is the intressting part? To see a multiplat title like COD3 or 4 on Wii or to play Z & W?

If you answer COD3/4 I think we are looking at two different kinds of 3rd party support. I want games that should take the Wii another path than xbox360 and PS3. According to me 3rd party should in an econmical standpoint release fps for xbox360 (personally I for the momentat least think PS3 isn't as important than 360), and make other genres for Wii. Of course I will probarbly end upp owning both RE:UC or similar on Wii, but the main game I want is still Z & W types of games.

You should also look at the players owning the consol and ask what can we give those players that they want? Well for the first why isn't it a single boxing game out? Where is VT? Where is a decent baseball game?  Because this is what the sales numbers shows, we are selling golf games, they are selling the odd games (Trauma Center and so on) and that is what at least I want the Wii for.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Garcian Smith said:

That's an unfair comparison. Just look at the gamerankings numbers for each:

X360: 78.0%
PS3: 74.8%
Wii: 65.4%

EA focused most of their efforts on the PS2, 360, and PS3 versions, while the Wii version was just a quick-and-dirty PS2 port with tacked-on motion controls that didn't work well. So, of course the Wii version didn't sell as much as the other two; it sucked.

As they say, garbage in, garbage out. Or, in this case, garbage development, garbage sales.

What about Madden 07 ?  Wii version was best reviewd yet it failed to out sale the PS3 version.

RolStoppable said:
Biggerboat said:
RolStoppable said:

1) You got that point wrong. I was trying to say that once the Wii will become the lead platform for some of the big games they will probably automatically be exclusives because it isn't easy to port games from the Wii to the 360/PS3. To make the game appealing for the HD console crowd, developers would have to seriously improve the graphics (which would cost quite a lot of money and time) and most likely to change the controls completely. That's the real dangerous factor for the 360/PS3, IF the Wii becomes the dominant platform.

2) Actually that is a low-end prediction. We'll see the full effect of disruption and "Revolution" in the upcoming years.

My theory is this: Once all consoles of a given generation are launched, there is a 6-15 month window in which the public perception is build for the rest of this generation. After this period has passed, a console is either highly popular, okay or not worth the money. Basically this holiday season is the final factor to determine how this generation continues. So far the result seems to be: Wii (highly popular), 360 (okay), PS3 (not worth the money).

Of course this can still change, but the chances are rather slim considering that the Wii will get a lot of games including the big three, the 360 can't sell in Japan and only mediocre in Europe no matter how great the games are supposed to be and the PS3 doesn't sell well in any region. Sure it had a boost recently, but it's still not doing that great and it is 6m units behind the other two consoles at the moment and only slightly gaining on the 360.

3rd parties are backing the console that is the most popular and in turn consumers are even more likely to buy this console, repeat. That's common knowledge. The gap between the winning and the losing system(s) from then on widens until it finally ends once the winning system is being discontinued (which always has the longest lifespan).

1) I knew what you were getting at, I was just exploring the possibilty of 360/PS3 games being 'remade' on Wii whilst simultaneously being built on 360/PS3, before Wii becomes lead platform. I'm hoping RE5 will be an example of this(please god).

2) I like your optimism, I'm a Wii owner after all but I can't help but think this gen may have more twists and turns than previous ones. HDTVs are on the increase, Sony & Microsoft(unlike Sega and even Nintendo) have the financial clout to push their systems regardless of profitablility and the disparity between Wii and 360/PS3 is unlike any other previously competing consoles. I do hope you're right though!

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

Around the Network
robjoh said:

This is assuming that everyone wants to make a shooter or buying one and that is at least what I am trying to say. What is the intressting part? To see a multiplat title like COD3 or 4 on Wii or to play Z & W?

If you answer COD3/4 I think we are looking at two different kinds of 3rd party support. I want games that should take the Wii another path than xbox360 and PS3. According to me 3rd party should in an econmical standpoint release fps for xbox360 (personally I for the momentat least think PS3 isn't as important than 360), and make other genres for Wii. Of course I will probarbly end upp owning both RE:UC or similar on Wii, but the main game I want is still Z & W types of games.

You should also look at the players owning the consol and ask what can we give those players that they want? Well for the first why isn't it a single boxing game out? Where is VT? Where is a decent baseball game? Because this is what the sales numbers shows, we are selling golf games, they are selling the odd games (Trauma Center and so on) and that is what at least I want the Wii for.

Thats nice and all.  But other then Nintendo, most don't know how to do that. 

So when the meeting to break down development money happnens.  Do they take the safe root make a PS3/360 shooter sale 2 million, or risk pulling a boogie on the wii ? 

Hus said:
robjoh said:

Look I am not saying that PS3 + xbox360 is selling worse than Wii. I am saying that software sales on Wii is good and if you make an effort you can strike gold.

Problem is most of them don't know how to do that. They build these high price next gen engines, they have these big game ideas for these powerfull HD consoles games. What they hell are they supposed to make on the wii ?

Nintendo is screaming casual gamers causal gamers from the roof tops but 3rd part are not great at making games for that demographics. Wii is a scary unknown weird dangerous thing for them, Ps3/360/PC is safe.

Are you sure that PS3 and xbox360 is safe? The gaming bugett for those plattforms is going way over the top and the hardware sales isn't that impressive. That the devs have to put PC on the plattform to really show the way is saying everything.

The only groups that can survive on the xbox360/PS3 for the moment is those devs that get funded by Microsoft/Sony or is large enough to take the development cost. Small dev groups, example Atlus, will not afford the cost for developing for PS3 or the xbox360.

If a game like boggie sells 50k, it should be more than enough. If a high budgett game bombs you can say good buy to the whole company. 

RolStoppable said:

I think the Wii has to outsell the PS3/360 combined to lure 3rd parties. Until it hasn't done that some or most 3rd party publishers still may think that it could be a fad and it's safer to make the big established franchise sequels for the HD consoles.

If the Wii achieves the dominant position in this generation they will be pretty much forced to make their big games for the Wii which will most likely result in exclusives since porting games between Wii and 360/PS3 simply doesn't work well. These games won't show up before 2009 though, since a lot of big games are still in development for 360/PS3. Biggest userbase combined with lowest development costs = maximum profits.

As for the question whether the Wii will outsell the 360 and PS3 combined:

I expect the Wii to pass the combined numbers of 360/PS3 in March 2008, if there are no price drops. At the end of 2009 the Wii should have double the install base than the 360/PS3 combined and when all is said and done in this generation I expect the Wii to have at least tripled the sales of 360/PS3 combined.

Sounds crazy, but John Lucas did such a poor job with his SSMB prediction, hehe.

I doubt it, and let me tell you why.

Let's say for a second that the Wii will be a more succesful console than the PS2, Let's say it sells 150 million units when it's all said and done. That would mean that the 360 + PS3 would have to sell a total of 50 million units. The XBox sold around 25 million, I expect the 360 to do better than that. Let's lowball it and say 30 million (I personally believe it will sell more).

The Playstation has sold more than 100 million on each of its iteration, so it's a very succesfull brand, let's lowball it and say it only sells 1/3 of 100 million, so that gives the PS3 33 million (I personally believe it will sell more as well) . This would give us a very lowball estimate of 63 million which is more than 1/3 of a very optimistic outcome for the Wii. Honestly I don't think the Wii will be able to double the PS3 and 360 combined, but it'll win this generation unless something crazy happens.

Hus said:
robjoh said:

You should also look at the players owning the consol and ask what can we give those players that they want? Well for the first why isn't it a single boxing game out? Where is VT? Where is a decent baseball game? Because this is what the sales numbers shows, we are selling golf games, they are selling the odd games (Trauma Center and so on) and that is what at least I want the Wii for.

Thats nice and all. But other then Nintendo, most don't know how to do that.

So when the meeting to break down development money happnens. Do they take the safe root make a PS3/360 shooter sale 2 million, or risk pulling a boogie on the wii ?

Is all fps selling 2 millions? Looking at the xbox360 charts I see a total of 21 games above 1 million (shipped) PS3 2 games above 1 million.

If you think that their exist only 23 games on xbox360 and PS3 be my guest. 

robjoh said:
Hus said:
robjoh said:

Problem is most of them don't know how to do that. They build these high price next gen engines, they have these big game ideas for these powerfull HD consoles games. What they hell are they supposed to make on the wii ?

Nintendo is screaming casual gamers causal gamers from the roof tops but 3rd part are not great at making games for that demographics. Wii is a scary unknown weird dangerous thing for them, Ps3/360/PC is safe.

Are you sure that PS3 and xbox360 is safe? The gaming bugett for those plattforms is going way over the top and the hardware sales isn't that impressive. That the devs have to put PC on the plattform to really show the way is saying everything.

The only groups that can survive on the xbox360/PS3 for the moment is those devs that get funded by Microsoft/Sony or is large enough to take the development cost. Small dev groups, example Atlus, will not afford the cost for developing for PS3 or the xbox360.

If a game like boggie sells 50k, it should be more than enough. If a high budgett game bombs you can say good buy to the whole company.

For big budget titles, yes its safe.  As far as dev cost, didn't Red Steel cost 10 million same as Gears ? 

If they have to make low cost games they still have the PS2 and the hand helds.

Do you know boogies budget ?